Facebook Just Got Creepier, Stalking Becoming MUCH Easier...

Install gentoo.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

facebooks%20getting%20creepy....png

It should come as no surprise that "privacy" on Facebook is a joke. For about a year now, I've been using online mediums on and off for dating. In this last week, I started noticing people I've spoken to using applications such as Tinder or POF appearing in my Facebook feed.

Generally Facebeook suggests people nearby, with at least 1 mutual friend. This last week suddenly half of the people I've had a conversation with on a dating application started popping up as friend suggestions. There are no mutual friends to connect us, nor are they nearby (I live an hour away from a major city), I don't talk about my dating life on Facebook. There really shouldn't be any reason for them to be popping up, or visa versa. If we wanted to give up what anonymity we had, we would do it when we feel it is safe to do so. 

But Tinder REQUIRES you to connect with Facebook! Absolutely sure that part is understandable, however other applications such as  POF do not. POF Doesn't require you to disclose any information you do not want wish to share, even your first name! Since I've made that particular account, I've used an alias email to help prevent spam on my main email. To be clear, some of these individuals haven't even shared their first name, let alone their last.

Showing me gaming and electronic ads because I use Facebook chat  is one thing, trying to suggest friends from dating applications is insane and a huge compromise in security. Just something to consider should you decide to try any of these applications. If you want to be found by a stranger, that shouldn't be Facebooks decision.

Something similar occurred when I first created a Facebook account years ago. When I linked my first email, a Hotmail account I had since 2001, I noticed the system suggesting I reconnect with some familiar faces... These were all people I had chatted up with using MSN Messenger (remember this?) years ago.

Man, I thought I was crazy for noticing this stuff. I guess I'm not alone.