Anyone own a PA249Q yet?

Highraven

I'm thinking about getting one but would like some comments from someone who has it.

Hows it for gaming and movies? I know it's great for photo editing.

Overclock3d wrote a review on it, and I guess a good quality monitor is good for almost everything

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

I haven't personally used it, but It looks like a nice monitor.

Why get that when you can get a asus PB278Q for almost the same price and the pb278Q is a 27inch 2560x1440 monitor..

Why get that when you can get a asus PB278Q for almost the same price and the pb278Q is a 27inch 2560x1440 monitor.

PA249Q use 10 bit panel (wide-gamut) while PB278Q use 8 bit panel. They are aimed at different market. PA for professional, PB for normal user.

Why get that when you can get a asus PB278Q for almost the same price and the pb278Q is a 27inch 2560x1440 monitor..

PA249Q use 10 bit panel (wide-gamut) while PB278Q use 8 bit panel. They are aimed at different market. PA for professional, PB for normal user.

The PA249Q also comes with a factory color calibration.

I'm actually thinking about getting a PA249Q after my student job, i'm gonna do a lot of huge graphic design project for my last school year (video editing/composing, 3D rendering, printing, etc...), and i'd like to have a proper work tool for that, and also for my (hypothetic) future job. At least for a start.

Also, 2560x1440 is nice, but it requires more GPU power/memory for gaming, and I'm afraid my 2GB 670 won't cut it.

The PA249Q also comes with a factory color calibration.

I'm actually thinking about getting a PA249Q after my student job, i'm gonna do a lot of huge graphic design project for my last school year (video editing/composing, 3D rendering, printing, etc...), and i'd like to have a proper work tool for that, and also for my (hypothetic) future job. At least for a start.

Also, 2560x1440 is nice, but it requires more GPU power/memory for gaming, and I'm afraid my 2GB 670 won't cut it.

Yeah I have the same card, that's why I wanted to stick with x1200. If I end up getting it I'll post a review after a few days of use.

The PA249Q has a GB-LED backlight and a true 8-bit panel, which gives it the capability of much better color reproduction than the PB278Q.  That is the main attraction of it.  PB278Q is more consumer oriented with standard WLED backlight, 16:9 aspect ratio. 80% gamut AdobeRGB.  PA249Q is targeted toward professional graphics uses.  Hence the branding.  PA vs PB.  It is not all just about resolution vs price.

On the topic of PA249Q though, I think the Dell U2413 would be a better choice.  It uses the same AH-IPS panel and GB-LED backlight, fully adjustable stand, but more input options with DisplayPort daisy-chaining.  Basically everything the PA249Q has and more.  And is usually found at the same price or cheaper.

I want a PA249Q to replace my PA246Q on my setup.

I want a PA249Q to replace my PA246Q on my setup.

I would be happy with either of those. Both are crazy expensive here in my country (OK maybe not crazy but like 500-600 $)- so a bit out of my budget. 

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

I would be happy with either of those. Both are crazy expensive here in my country (OK maybe not crazy but like 500-600 $)- so a bit out of my budget. 

PA249Q is 540€ in Belgium. It's still the cheapest of its category, with that much features.

So I ended picking one up anyways. So far it's really nice. The brightness of the colours is going to take some getting used to vs my older IPS monitor (2006). Ghosting is non existent which is nice (older monitor had minor ghosting). Hell it even uses noticeably less power.

The power supply makes a slight noise when its turned off though and the stand doesn't go quite as high as I would have liked it to. Other than those two things I'm very impressed/happy with it.

thats the normal price of them

PA249Q is 540€ in Belgium. It's still the cheapest of its category, with that much features.

yep ASUS has had a good track record ever since launching the PA246Q

PA 248 Q is like under 300$ on US Amazon it's like double here in Croatia ! That was my point. 249 model isn't yet available here.

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

Actually the PB278Q uses a 6-bit panel and uses AFRC to emulate 8-bit colors (much like all affordable IPS panels and all TN panels (TN panel technology limitation)), and the PA249Q uses a true 8-bit panel with AFRC to emulate 10-bit colors. A true 10-bit IPS panel cost an arm and a leg. True 12-bit panel cost a kidney, And a true 16-bit panel... well.. if you ask the price you can't afford it.

True 8-bit panel cost a lot of money to produce. hence why the monitor is not cheap. What doesn't help, is that because these monitors have a fancy panel, essentially, to take full advantage of it, they use a (or a much upgraded from the lower end models), color processor and larger Look UP Table associated with it, and have more features, which all add to the price. It makes sense, I mean you have a nice panel, let have everything to take advantage of it. You don't buy a luxury car for it's engine, and use Ikea plastic chair inside the car. No you'll want conformable chair, heated seats, fancy speakers, and all that jazz.

The NEC monitor is a 10-bit panel, not 14-bit. It has a 14-bit Lookup table, but the monitor is using a 10-bit panels.

Big difference :) http://www.necdisplay.com/p/medical-diagnostic-displays/md301c4

Also the resolution is much less than the ASUS PQ321, the NEC is 2560x1600 (16:10), while the ASUS one is 4K (3840 x 2160 - 16:9).

Oh important info. For the majority of monitor of today that are 10-bit colors, especially those above 1920x1200, can only support 10-bit colors via DisplayPort. Of course, you need a compatible graphic card, and content to enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

The NEC monitor is a 10-bit panel, not 14-bit. It has a 14-bit Lookup table, but the monitor is using a 10-bit panels.

Big difference :)http://www.necdisplay.com/p/medical-diagnostic-displays/md301c4

Also the resolution is much less than the ASUS PQ321, the NEC is 2560x1600 (16:10), while the ASUS one is 4K (3840 x 2160 - 16:9).

Oh important info. For the majority of monitor of today that are 10-bit colors, especially those above 1920x1200, can only support 10-bit colors via DisplayPort. Of course, you need a compatible graphic card, and content to enjoy it.

just a note the programs you use must also support 10bit in order to use it as well.

Also i can truly say the PA249Q is the successor to the PA246Q and if the announces PA279Q hold up to its standards its going to be awesome.

• 5 months later...

Actually the PB278Q uses a 6-bit panel and uses AFRC to emulate 8-bit colors (much like all affordable IPS panels and all TN panels (TN panel technology limitation)), and the PA249Q uses a true 8-bit panel with AFRC to emulate 10-bit colors. A true 10-bit IPS panel cost an arm and a leg. True 12-bit panel cost a kidney, And a true 16-bit panel... well.. if you ask the price you can't afford it.

Well, when a true 32-bit 8k panel hits the market, I may have to sell myself into slavery then huh?

Best peripherals with the worst computer XD