H81M-P33 - SSD not being detected, but is in another machine

besweeet

I finally got my little H81M-P33 build going. Well, sort of...

The HDD (Seagate ST1000DM003) is detected in the BIOS just fine across all 4 of the motherboard's SATA ports. The SSD (Patriot Blaze 240GB), however, isn't detected in any of the SATA ports (either of the SATA2 3Gbps and SATA3 6Gbps ports). It's definitely getting power, as the small red light in the SSD itself illuminates. I also tried swapping SATA cables, and nothing seems to be working.

The SSD is detected and appears to work fine in my personal desktop (Z68A-GD80) across all of the SATA ports.

I updated the H81M-P33's BIOS to v1.8 (came with v1.7), thinking that it might help with drive compatibility, but that didn't help at all.

Any ideas?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X, RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) XPG GAMMIX D30 DDR4 3600MHz, MOBO: ASRock X570M, GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 2070 SUPER (Corsair H100x cooling), SSD 1: Corsair Force MP510 240GB, SSD 2: Patriot VPN100 1TB, OS: Windows 10 Professional x64, CASE: Open air test bench

That was the plan, but the SSD isn't detected anywhere in the BIOS.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X, RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) XPG GAMMIX D30 DDR4 3600MHz, MOBO: ASRock X570M, GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 2070 SUPER (Corsair H100x cooling), SSD 1: Corsair Force MP510 240GB, SSD 2: Patriot VPN100 1TB, OS: Windows 10 Professional x64, CASE: Open air test bench

That was the plan, but the SSD isn't detected anywhere in the BIOS.

If no members will show up with a better idea, if you have the spare hard drive, install Windows with H81M-P33 and later connect the SSD (I assume you tried run H81M-P33 with HDD) . Look, maybe SSD will be recognized. I'm curious if H81M-P33 recognize this SSD with Windows. I don't see any firmware upgrades for Patriot Blaze family, or 240GB model.

I've had the end bend on a SATA connector from being bent too far while cable managing. Wouldn't hurt to inspect the cable for damage and try a spare. I'm curious if you disconnect the other drive, install a Windows install USB / DVD, pick custom install, if it shows up in the list of drives to install Windows on. Just to see if it is detected there.

I went into the Windows installer, and it's only seeing the 1TB hard drive. I've tried multiple SATA cables and everything's been a no-go.

bios setting Sata set to AHCI or Native IDE?

AHCI.

I also just tried the SSD in my external USB enclosure, and it wasn't detected anywhere in the BIOS, yet it works perfectly in my main computer...

did you plug in both cables

sata and power?

they are 2 diff cables

also check if it shows in device manager

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

did you plug in both cables

sata and power?

they are 2 diff cables

also check if it shows in device manager

I'm already aware of that. I tried two different power supplies and multiple SATA cables.

All signs are pointing to the motherboard being weird with this SSD in particular :/.

One thing that I just noticed is that, when I updated the BIOS, I only did the BIOS flash, not the "BIOS + ME" option. I'll try that today.

I was finally able to get the SSD to be detected by the motherboard (MSI H81M-P33), but it’s not very ideal or practical...

It turns out that the SSD will only show up if I plug it in after the system is powered on. If you do a OS restart or reset, then it will still be detected. Only when the computer is powered off is when the SSD won’t show back up after you press the power button. The same thing also happens when using my SATA to USB adapter.

I would then place the blame on the motherboard, but every other drive that I tried works perfectly with it, even on this first power on. Other drives included a 3.5” HDD, a 2.5” HDD, and two other SSDs. I tested all of those through the same exact SATA data and power cables that I’ve been using with the Patriot Blaze SSD.

I’m now looking at the SSD being more at fault than the motherboard :/. However, the SSD is perfectly detected in my primary computer on every boot, though... So I’m really not sure anymore.

This is really odd and I don’t think I found any other situation like it around.

I'll try and get a replacement SSD.

• 3 years later...

I am facing the exact same problem now. i built a new pc yesterday and have the same issue as you . please tell me how you fixed it