How many of you guys have servers and what is their use?

ginner159

Is that at your house or at work ? and did you buy prebuilt ones and if so where did you buy them i am looking in to hosting a file server for my family

These are my home servers.

The supermicros are barbone systems, so just case motherboard and PSU.

Supermicro is verry expensive though, I would recommend you to look at the 10TB+ topic in my signature first.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

These are my home servers.

The supermicros are barbone systems, so just case motherboard and PSU.

Supermicro is verry expensive though, I would recommend you to look at the 10TB+ topic in my signature first.

What case should i put it in and what os ? one more question why do you have so much home servers ? what do they all do and do other people use them ? and when did you start getting in to servers ? 

Not really, At the moment I cant get more then 100/100 on my FTTH so I will soon get my old copper line back up as a second line, that will be 200/20.

so total will then be 300/120.

Limiting to 100/100 on FTTH? What peasant of a provider does that? Do they not want more of your money for faster speeds?

Limiting to 100/100 on FTTH? What peasant of a provider does that? Do they not want more of your money for faster speeds?

not the providers fault, its the line providers fault, there is not enough bandwith to my town to support more right now.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Personally, I've got a custom built server. It's essentially a gaming rig with a RAID card and extra HDDs.

I use it for hosting Teamspeak, Plex, file storage, many game servers (mostly modded Minecraft) and as a gaming rig for friends to play on when they're here. And it's only got 16GB of RAM. Might need to upgrade that at some point. I've also just set up a pfSense router for my new internet - I've gone from 5.5/0.3 to ~60/20 and IT'S AMAZING! Yet I know so many of you will laugh at how slow it still is. But it's about as fast as I can get where I live - we've only just got FTTC a month or two ago.

Is that at your house or at work ? and did you buy prebuilt ones and if so where did you buy them i am looking in to hosting a file server for my family 

This setup is way more than a prebuilt system. Youll be better off hosting a file server off of a linux os, some raid, and some basic user auth setup. What he has running is about a 5k base operating system that all his vm's are running in, not to mention all the hardware.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram