What is Directx/openGL -- would be a great video!

Roulbs

I was just wondering what Directx is, and how it works. I looked up linus tech for a video, and I didn't find one! 

Maybe it's a dumb idea, but I'd definitely watch it

They are types of rendering, if you are in a gaming perspective, chances are DirectX is probably faster.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

This is actually a good idea. It would hopefully give some people an idea of what an api actually does vs the magic some people believe they are.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I was just wondering what Directx is, and how it works. I looked up linus tech for a video, and I didn't find one! 

Maybe it's a dumb idea, but I'd definitely watch it

DirectX is a API

They are types of rendering, if you are in a gaming perspective, chances are DirectX is probably faster.

mainly because openGL is severely under utilized right now...

OpenGL > DirectX.

The only reason why we're using DirectX over OpenGL is because of Microsoft's marketing years back. OpenGL development fell behind when DirectX 9 came about, simply due to developers moving to DirectX, and leaving OpenGL. Over the past couple years however, OpenGL has began picking up steam again, mainly due to DirectX's limitations. Heck, most of the modern DirectX features had been available to OpenGL a lot longer before DirectX supported it.

Plus, with Gaben pushing SteamOS, and porting things to Linux, a lot of people are starting to use OpenGL again.

OpenGL has been last in the dust so to speak, for quite a few years. But things are changing.

Also, AMD's Mantle has been integrated into VulkanAPI, which is meant to be the new iteration of OpenGL.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...