gtx 970 sli

fishhydra1

i dont know i should get gtx 970 sli

Is the 3.5 gb is a problem

does sli have problems running games or smooth sailing, if a single gpu is stronger or better wich one could match the power of 2 gtx 970

thanks 

What resolution do you play at

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

SLI is a perfect idea. You won't run into problems until 4k or some 1440p. 1080p is nothing to those cards. You generally won't even use 3 gigs.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.6 GHz Motherboard: MSI SLI Plus Krait Edition RAM: 16 GB (2x8) 1866 MHz Kingston Black Fury Series GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT S340 (Black) Storage: Intel 730 Series SSD (240 GB), Seagate Barracuda (1 TB) Display: LG 24MP55 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB for gaming (1st Player Fire Dancing for typing) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Corsair Gaming 2100 Vengence 7.1 Headset Operating System: Windows 10

but if i want to upgrade to 1440p or 4k what should i take???

Hm. well 2 980's would be a good one for 4k, but 1440P those 2 970's should handle that.

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

For 1440p, I'd still stay with the 970s. They're amazing cards and most games will be fine at max settings. For titles like Shadow of Mordor and Witcher 3, you may run into a tiny bit of a problem, but if you turn down a few things (AA to 8 or 4), you'll be fine, not to mention that you won't need as much AA at 1440p. For 4k, the same applies, but I'd recommend 6 or 8 gig cards to make it last maybe 3 to 4 years, but 4 gigs should still be plenty. A couple 290s or 290Xs would still do nicely, but if you decide to grab an entirely different GPU altogether, I'd recommend holding out to see what the R9 380(X), R9 390(X), and GTX 980 TI offer. The R9 295X2 is decent, but realize that until DX12 games officially support vram stacking, you'll only have 4 gigs of effective vram, not 8.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.6 GHz Motherboard: MSI SLI Plus Krait Edition RAM: 16 GB (2x8) 1866 MHz Kingston Black Fury Series GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT S340 (Black) Storage: Intel 730 Series SSD (240 GB), Seagate Barracuda (1 TB) Display: LG 24MP55 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB for gaming (1st Player Fire Dancing for typing) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Corsair Gaming 2100 Vengence 7.1 Headset Operating System: Windows 10

I would wait and see if DirectX12 really does what it says and doubles the amount of memory by pooling all the memory on both cards. The way games are going in graphical detail, I would rather have 8gb / 7gb instead of 4 / 3.5. If it's not going that way, I would buy one for the time being since you're only gaming at 1080p.

Keep in mind, when you pair cards, you have to deal with SLI/Crossfire profiles.

titan x overkill???

The 980ti card that NVidia is coming out with (apparently) seems to me a much better card than the titan. GM 200 core with 6gb of memory and will most likely be sold at a cheaper price than the titan.

I HAVE TWO 970 ASUS STRIX IN SLI AND A 750 TI FOR  A DEDICATED PHYSICS ...I LOVE IT.....WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE ....I JUST NEED TO LEARN TO OVERCLOCK  ... 

Just get two 980 classfieds you'll be good for awhile even for 4k. I run two 980 superclocks acx on a asus rog swift 2560x1440 and love it. Two 980s is still stronger than one titan. If i remember correctly im not at my pc at the moment. I think my setup beat the titan x by 16fps average using heaven benchmark. Oh and the the titan benchmark rig was running a x99 im only on a z97 platform 4790k. Even if you do two 980 evga superclocks you'll end paying a tiny bit more than one titan x. Both great are great cards couldn't go wrong with either choice.

Just get two 980 classfieds you'll be good for awhile even for 4k. I run two 980 superclocks acx on a asus rog swift 2560x1440 and love it. Two 980s is still stronger than one titan. If i remember correctly im not at my pc at the moment. I think my setup beat the titan x by 16fps average using heaven benchmark. Oh and the the titan benchmark rig was running a x99 im only on a z97 platform 4790k. Even if you do two 980 evga superclocks you'll end paying a tiny bit more than one titan x. Both great are great cards couldn't go wrong with either choice.

Do you not think that if he could have afforded the 980 he would have bought one over a 970 already (OP not saying you don't have cash) 

I'm going SLI 970 soon. Performance is a massive jump and actually beats a 980 in some cases. I'd worry not about the 4k thing, By the time 4k screens are a realistic prices I'm sure you'll be already considering your next upgrade. 

Even without the DX12 Ram stacking I'd take the 970 over the R9 280's, those 280's are good cards (No fanboy war here) but they are pretty old Tech, thats the pure reason I went with the 970. 

Also...perfrel_1920.gif

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Do you not think that if he could have afforded the 980 he would have bought one over a 970 already (OP not saying you don't have cash) 

I'm going SLI 970 soon. Performance is a massive jump and actually beats a 980 in some cases. I'd worry not about the 4k thing, By the time 4k screens are a realistic prices I'm sure you'll be already considering your next upgrade. 

Even without the DX12 Ram stacking I'd take the 970 over the R9 280's, those 280's are good cards (No fanboy war here) but they are pretty old Tech, thats the pure reason I went with the 970. 

Also...perfrel_1920.gif

You may be right as far as two 970's at 1080 resolution, but only because of GPU scaling you may bottle neck the two 980s with a 1080 resolution. That would probably be the case but it would be no big deal. As far as two 970s If he decides to up his resolution in the future he will lose performance. I had two 970s in sli first i didn't like the performance at 2k. I returned them in time to get a refund and went with my two 980s. I have no regrets lol

Two of my friends that I game with run 970's both of them even have the same cards. EVGA GTX970 SC ACX 2.0. One of them runs 3 monitors in surround at 60mhz in 1080. The other runs that acer 1080 with g sync.

I also have a friend that has two EVGA GTX 980 CLASSFIEDS. He is running a swift as well. He is running a z87 4770k at 4.2 he beats me slighty on benchmarks.

Unfortunately I have another friend that is running a gigabyte 980 with originally a swift monitor but his broke and recently returned the swift for a acer 4k with gsync. Its only been two days and he hates the fps with 4k. So he said he is most likely going to try another swift. We both recommended the swift to him because me and my other friend have had zero problems from ours.

The 980ti card that NVidia is coming out with (apparently) seems to me a much better card than the titan. GM 200 core with 6gb of memory and will most likely be sold at a cheaper price than the titan.

Until nvidia comes out with a titan x ti or something crazy you know they already have it in the plans to make more money. People like us feed them lol

At 1440p get 2 970s, they're lightning fast.

At 4k get 2 290xs

For smooth sailing, I'm not sure what you'll need precisely.

titan x or gtx 980 sli or one gtx980ti

980 sli

CPU: FX8350  GPU:  Sapphire radeon r9 290x Tri-X  Mobo: Gigabyte 970A-UD3P  RAM:  Corsair Vengence 1866mhz 8GB  PSU: Corsair CX750M

HDD:  Western Digital Caviar blue 1TB  SSD:  120Gb Samsung 850 Evo 

I game on 1440p with 970 SLI, and so far FKN ZERO issues with vram or any other stuff. They both work great. Only complait is the noise the fans make over 55% (nothin that some headphones or speakers can´t handle )

Processor: Intel i7 4790k @ 4.6GHz w/ 1.27v | Gpu: ASUS GTX 980Ti Strix | MoBo: ASUS Maximus Gene VII | Ram: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz | Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D | PSU: Corsair AX860i | Cooling: Corsair H100i + 4 Corsair SP 120mm fans | Keyboard: Logitech K800 | Mouse: Logitech Anywhere | Storage (OS):Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Mass storage: WD Green 2TB + WD Blue 500GB + 1TB | Monitor: ASUS PB27Q  | Sound: Edifier C11 + Sennheiser RS 175

No need for SLI unless you're doing like me and running three 1080p monitors at once.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

i dont know i should get gtx 970 sli

Is the 3.5 gb is a problem

does sli have problems running games or smooth sailing, if a single gpu is stronger or better wich one could match the power of 2 gtx 970

thanks 

Eurogamer.net did an FCAT analysis of GTX 970 SLI at 1440p here that's worth checking out.