Possible CPU upgrade

Ive been told by a few people that my FX-6350 is bottlenecking my GTX 970. Could this be true? If I need to upgrade I was thinking about the 4690k and an MSI Z97 Gaming 5.

Yeah that's true. I have the same CPU and mobo and they're great. I got my 4690K to 4.5GHz easy with my NH-D15 on that board.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Yes, it could very well be true. Can you give some benchmarks to give us an idea of if this might be a real issue?

I have a 970 too. You can use Valley or Heaven benchmarks or give avg fps in some of the games you play. Make sure this is in fact a bottleneck before you drop the cash to upgrade.

Hope this helps :D

PS - @LittleFanboy don't forget to follow your thread

Dual Boot Windows & Hackintosh

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

Ive been told by a few people that my FX-6350 is bottlenecking my GTX 970. Could this be true? If I need to upgrade I was thinking about the 4690k and an MSI Z97 Gaming 5.

Run Riva Tuner Stats Server to monitor your GPU usage in game with VSync off. If your GPU usage is like 40-60% you have a massive bottleneck. If its like 80-90% its a small one, if GPU usage is always 95-100% then you have a great CPU for your video card. My guess is you're bottlenecking your 970 pretty significantly if you're at 1080p, pretty lightly if you're at 1440p, but I don't know what games you play. So test things yourself to see firsthand.

Yes, it could very well be true. Can you give some benchmarks to give us an idea of if this might be a real issue?

I have a 970 too. You can use Valley or Heaven benchmarks or give avg fps in some of the games you play. Make sure this is in fact a bottleneck before you drop the cash to upgrade.

Ill do a few benchmarks and give you the results in just a few minutes.

Depends what game you play. Some games work fine with that CPU, others rely more on cpu to work

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

-A shotgun wielding redneck

Okay I ran 2 benchmarks. Thought I had Heaven installed but I didnt. In Valley my average fps was 60.5. In FireStrike, I got a score of 8851. Here is the link, http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6433696.

If there are any other benchmarks I need to run let me know please.

If there are any other benchmarks I need to run let me know please.

When I get home in a few hours I'll let you know about my results with my 970. It's not overclocked (yet) and neither is my CPU (if u really want to know, specs are below)

That doesn't look like too big of an issue. Are you running Valley on extreme or which settings?

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

When I get home in a few hours I'll let you know about my results with my 970. It's not overclocked (yet) and neither is my CPU (if u really want to know, specs are below)

That doesn't look like too big of an issue. Are you running Valley on extreme or which settings?

Yes im running it with everything to the max settings

Yes im running it with everything to the max settings

Great! I'll get back to you in an hour.

Canada eh? 

Another reason why I was wondering if I needed to upgrade is that according to the recommended specs for GTA 5, they recommend an 8350. Also I do some 3D modeling and im not sure if this cpu is very good for that or not.

Another reason why I was wondering if I needed to upgrade is that according to the recommended specs for GTA 5, they recommend an 8350. Also I do some 3D modeling and im not sure if this cpu is very good for that or not.

If there is some concern in other areas, like CPU that is noticeable slow, the it's time to upgrade, regardless of bottle necking or not.

Canada eh? 

Don't worry about the upgrade too much, its only a small jump in performance from an FX6*** CPU to an FX 8***. And to check for bottlenecking, open up MSI afterburner and go to the part of the graph that says 'GPU usage', 90-100% is good, 70-80% is a small bottleneck, and 60% and lower is a severe bottleneck (my Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4GHz gave 71% GPU usage when playing Crysis 3 on ultra for example-though the game stuttered badly as 2 cores isn't enough for Crysis 3 at full settings). I'm not sure about 3D modelling however as the only computer I use for that has a Core Duo T2600 and Quadro NVS110M graphics (I only use 3DS MAX 7 on it BTW).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Okay I ran 2 benchmarks. Thought I had Heaven installed but I didnt. In Valley my average fps was 60.5. In FireStrike, I got a score of 8851. Here is the link, http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6433696.

That's a pretty nice graphics score. Better than my 970's:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5896552

Firestrike's physics score overrates core count and hyperthreading though, as i7/Xeon get much higher scores than i5s though they get pretty similar performance in games. The only benchmarks that really matter are for the games you play and whether your GPU is being used to its potential in them. And your 970 looks to be a really nice one with lots of potential.

That's a pretty nice graphics score. Better than my 970's:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5896552

Firestrike's physics score overrates core count and hyperthreading though, as i7/Xeon get much higher scores than i5s though they get pretty similar performance in games. The only benchmarks that really matter are for the games you play and whether your GPU is being used to its potential in them. And your 970 looks to be a really nice one with lots of potential.

I agree.

Running at Extreme HD, I pulled 57fps on my 970. @LittleFanboy I don't think that you should be facing a bottlenecking issue if your results are so far ahead of everyone else.

But if you feel the need to upgrade your CPU is there, then you should, regardless of whether you think there's bottlenecking or not.

Canada eh? 

Yeah, at stock it kills any FX chip in the vast majority of AAA games.

...you mean in ALL of them...find me ONE SINGLE GAME in which an AMD FX outperform a stock core i5...ONE! :)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Ranking by minimum framerate, the FX-8350 surprisingly edges one out here.

lol i knew you where gonna come up with this one...i saw it as well one day..that has to be the only one though.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR