Can i use a Oem Windows 7 copy

hey guys i wanna buy a copy of windows 7 OEM but i don't know what it means. i wanna use this because its cheaper than the retail windows 7 copy. and it also said SP1 which i also don't know what it means. and should i be using this. 

thanks

OEM just means its original item. SP1=Service pack 1

RAWR signature became a bunch of HTML codes

Oem means it's not retail. You won't get customer support like you usually do from Microsoft with an Oem Win7.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

I always buy an oem, but the one thing that you should keep in mind is what virusal19 said: oem's are tied to the first mobo they are installed on, so if your motherboard dies or you want to upgrade your motherboard you will need to call the Microsoft activation hotline and get a new activation number.  This can be a pain in the bum. SO I recommend if you do have to replace your motherboard, once you have got windows activated again make ghost image or disc image of your hard drive with a fresh bare bones install on there. That way if you have to re-install (dead hdd, bad virus etc) you won't have to go through the cd key and activation thing again.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

thanks guys helped me out heaps

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

what he said :)

Definitely worth your money saving by getting an OEM cody instead of a retail version though. For Sure :D

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

• 2 weeks later...

OEM licenses are the ones that come with a computer, right? With Windows 7, I've never had a problem activating them. I have 1 OEM copy that I am using on the computer it came on. But, I used it on a Mac mini for a while and it was fine.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

OEM licenses are the ones that come with a computer, right? With Windows 7, I've never had a problem activating them. I have 1 OEM copy that I am using on the computer it came on. But, I used it on a Mac mini for a while and it was fine.

im pretty sure that you can only use OEM licence once.