Roccat Kone XTD

Shaqo_Wyn

I'd love to hear about your experiences and thoughts about this mouse.

Pro's, Con's, Ergonomics, Buttons, Build Quality, Performance etc - the works.

I'm looking into getting the Kone XTD Optical.

Thank you in advance! :)

Info about me: claw / palm grip, 22.5cm hands

Shaqo

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Before the tyon it was my mouse of choice and second mouse in my personal mouse hall of fame. The laser is fantastic, shape/size is great for different grip styles. I personally use a hybrid style grip. The only negative is that in today's day and age I feel a mouse needs a few more buttons unless you only play fps games and even in that case you can always benefit from a few more buttons, its never a bad thing unless they are horribly placed. I now use the Tyon because its almost the same shape and size, almost. It has well placed buttons for all types of gaming which is more my style. 

Before the tyon it was my mouse of choice and second mouse in my personal mouse hall of fame. The laser is fantastic, shape/size is great for different grip styles. I personally use a hybrid style grip. The only negative is that in today's day and age I feel a mouse needs a few more buttons unless you only play fps games and even in that case you can always benefit from a few more buttons, its never a bad thing unless they are horribly placed. I now use the Tyon because its almost the same shape and size, almost. It has well placed buttons for all types of gaming which is more my style. 

Thanks! How do the buttons feel on the XTD? Do the DPI and side-buttons have good tactile feedback?

Last one, how's the placing of the thumb groove on the left side?

The Tyon definitely looks like it means business but I mainly play fps games so the 6 buttons on the XTD will be enough. 

I tried it but found that it was a bit to small for my hands ( I don't have very big hands), It did not suite my claw/fingertip grip style as it felt it would slip out of my hand. I traded it back in for a Deathadder 2013 and it was the best decision I have made in awhile.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I use the Roccat Kone XTD right now, it looks and feels great. It would have made a lot of sense for me to stick with the Razer brand (I have the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Keyboard) and go with the Deathadder, but I'm so happy that I went with the Kone XTD. I love it. The shape of it is perfect as well as the placement of the buttons and grips. The mouse has fantastic customization on weight, looks, buttons and DPI as well as fun side things such as achievements and stat-tracking. The software/driver that you use for it is brilliant. I've had this mouse for good while now and could talk about it for hours, I can't really think of a negative point about it.

I tried it but found that it was a bit to small for my hands ( I don't have very big hands), It did not suite my claw/fingertip grip style as it felt it would slip out of my hand. I traded it back in for a Deathadder 2013 and it was the best decision I have made in awhile.

I tried the DA2013, wasn't for me. The primary buttons have too much travel. 

Hmm, I'm curious as to how big your hands are now because the size is one of the reasons I want the XTD.

The Avior 7000 I have is great for low sense gaming because of the size and weight but for productivity etc. I want a bigger mouse that gives a bit more support.

The XTD is 135 L x 78 W x 40 H (cm) while the Avior is 125 L x 65 W x 37 H (cm).

It's the only mouse with a good sensor and look I could find. I'm hoping the XTD is big enough to add the extra support needed.

Have you had issues with smoothing using the DA2013's sensor?

I use the Roccat Kone XTD right now, it looks and feels great. It would have made a lot of sense for me to stick with the Razer brand (I have the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Keyboard) and go with the Deathadder, but I'm so happy that I went with the Kone XTD. I love it. The shape of it is perfect as well as the placement of the buttons and grips. The mouse has fantastic customization on weight, looks, buttons and DPI as well as fun side things such as achievements and stat-tracking. The software/driver that you use for it is brilliant. I've had this mouse for good while now and could talk about it for hours, I can't really think of a negative point about it.

Thanks, sounds great. How is the travel on the primary buttons?

Thanks, sounds great. How is the travel on the primary buttons?

Not entirely sure what you mean by the 'travel' on them..

I tried the DA2013, wasn't for me. The primary buttons have too much travel. 

Hmm, I'm curious as to how big your hands are now because the size is one of the reasons I want the XTD.

The Avior 7000 I have is great for low sense gaming because of the size and weight but for productivity etc. I want a bigger mouse that gives a bit more support.

The XTD is 135 L x 78 W x 40 H (cm) while the Avior is 125 L x 65 W x 37 H (cm).

It's the only mouse with a good sensor and look I could find. I'm hoping the XTD is big enough to add the extra support needed.

Have you had issues with smoothing using the DA2013's sensor?

The primary buttons are designed to have good travel but they activate almost instantly, allowing you to burst fire with amazing speed online. (I use this feature in BF4 all the time)

my hands are quite small <20cm and I still felt I would loose grip on it (As it has almost no grip and its a smooth finish) The size was not the issue.

No issues at all with the sensor but I only use it at 900dpi during gaming, but even at 100% the DA2013 sensor has no smoothing/accelration/juddering its still one of the best sensors IMO

Good review and info here - http://www.overclock.net/t/1335226/review-of-the-deathadder-2013

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

The primary buttons are designed to have good travel but they activate almost instantly, allowing you to burst fire with amazing speed online. (I use this feature in BF4 all the time)

my hands are quite small <20cm and I still felt I would loose grip on it (As it has almost no grip and its a smooth finish) The size was not the issue.

No issues at all with the sensor but I only use it at 900dpi during gaming, but even at 100% the DA2013 sensor has no smoothing/accelration/juddering its still one of the best sensors IMO

Good review and info here - http://www.overclock.net/t/1335226/review-of-the-deathadder-2013

Alrighty, thanks! If the size wasn't the problem that's a relief.

Good to know about the sensor, saw some people nitpick about smoothing so I was curious if it's a real issue since it's nearly impossible to measure anyway.

I think the XTD Optical uses the same s3988 sensor the DA2013 uses so, that's good news. :)

Not entirely sure what you mean by the 'travel' on them..

The distance the buttons have to psychically travel before actuating the switch underneath. 

The distance the buttons have to psychically travel before actuating the switch underneath. 

Ah, yeah nothing feels 'flimsy', there's things on and to this mouse I didn't think could ever exist and it's been done very well, everything is top quality and very tactical about the button presses and there's also a voice for the up and down DPI changers.