Star Citizen Queries

Nirjhor
Go to solution Solved by Grrizz,

For both questions its hard to tell now with it still being an alpha and it really depends a lot on how much you want to spend but...

Q1) GTX970s are good for it at the moment and you'll need more memory, mine often goes over 9GB usage and apparently people are getting hangs with even 8GB but only in the hangar, the person I heard talking about it said he didn't experience it once in Arena Commander though and could fix it by using a SSD and increasing his page file size. If you can wait till release or at least close to it you would be in a much better position for buying hardware as not only is it all up in the air at the moment but by the end of next year (expected release) there will be newer faster hardware available.

Q2) Mustang beta, Aurora ES/LX, 315p, Constellation Aquila, Freelancer DUR and Carrack (or anything bigger) would all be decent choices depending on how much you want to spend and how many people you want to play with, at this point its hard to say what's good and bad because the exploration side of the game isn't available and when it is we will be able to customise our ships so nothings set in stone. The ship descriptions are currently the best way of picking what you want at the moment. And bear in mind everything's earnable in game so you don't have to buy the "best" ship, you can earn it once the game has released.

Query 01

Hi guys my current config is:
Intel 4770K @ 3.5 GHz
4GB 1600MHz Ram
MSI 750Ti 2GB
240 GB SSD for Games

Do you think I need upgrade ? If yes please suggest what I should upgrade.

Query 02

I want to do exploration in Star Citizen. But, I’m not sure which ship I should I go with. I was searching ships with jump engine.

Please suggest & explain your suggestion. As I’m trying to get some of my friends to buy this game.

is it out now?

i was interested in star citizen at first, then realized it was a money pit.

dude, get more ram.

the GPu isn't terrible though. i'd just test the waters with it then decide from there.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Get better GPU and another 4GB of ram

Can you please suggest a GPU ?

AMD 290/290x or nVidia 970

High end AMD is not currently worth it IMO, 970 is great.

is it out now?

i was interested in star citizen at first, then realized it was a money pit.

dude, get more ram.

the GPu isn't terrible though. i'd just test the waters with it then decide from there.

Nah, the release date keeps getting pushed back farther and farther..

In the meantime, I've been having a ton of fun with Elite:Dangerous.

Any of those are good. If I recall correctly, the 970 is a bit better, but it's also a tiny bit more expensive (because that's how those things usually work)..

If you have the money for one of those (and you have other games that also need the power), I'd go ahead any buy one.. If you're buying it just for the sake of playing Star Citizen, I would wait until the game is actually out before spending serious money on hardware.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

titan X. nah, JK, a 970 is great, two is even better.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Nah, the release date keeps getting pushed back farther and farther..

In the meantime, I've been having a ton of fun with Elite:Dangerous.

Any of those are good. If I recall correctly, the 970 is a bit better, but it's also a tiny bit more expensive (because that's how those things usually work)..

If you have the money for one of those (and you have other games that also need the power), I'd go ahead any buy one.. If you're buying it just for the sake of playing Star Citizen, I would wait until the game is actually out before spending serious money on hardware.

High end AMD is not currently worth it IMO, 970 is great.

titan X. nah, JK, a 970 is great, two is even better.

Currently in my local stores there are only Gigabyte 970 Strix OC & MSI 970 Gaming 4G.

Which one should I go for ? 

Currently in my local stores there are only Gigabyte 970 Strix OC & MSI 970 Gaming 4G.

Gigabyte G1 gaming is best one IMO but ASUS strix and MSI Gaming 4G are great as well

both are great. check the stock clocks on both. go with the higher one.

hell, get both, SLI them.

It doesn't matter that much.. They're both 970s, so they'll both perform like 970s.

The MSI one has a slightly higher stock clockspeed, though you'll always be able to overclock either of them to probably similar speeds.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

For both questions its hard to tell now with it still being an alpha and it really depends a lot on how much you want to spend but...

Q1) GTX970s are good for it at the moment and you'll need more memory, mine often goes over 9GB usage and apparently people are getting hangs with even 8GB but only in the hangar, the person I heard talking about it said he didn't experience it once in Arena Commander though and could fix it by using a SSD and increasing his page file size. If you can wait till release or at least close to it you would be in a much better position for buying hardware as not only is it all up in the air at the moment but by the end of next year (expected release) there will be newer faster hardware available.

Q2) Mustang beta, Aurora ES/LX, 315p, Constellation Aquila, Freelancer DUR and Carrack (or anything bigger) would all be decent choices depending on how much you want to spend and how many people you want to play with, at this point its hard to say what's good and bad because the exploration side of the game isn't available and when it is we will be able to customise our ships so nothings set in stone. The ship descriptions are currently the best way of picking what you want at the moment. And bear in mind everything's earnable in game so you don't have to buy the "best" ship, you can earn it once the game has released.

Thnx alot Grrizz. The explanations are really great. I hope to join LTT Star Citizen Cologne soon.

Thnx alot Grrizz. The explanations are really great. I hope to join LTT Star Citizen Cologne soon.

No problem, look forward to flying with (/against ;)) you :)

@Nirjhor

Grrizz does have it right, but in regards to gpu, it would be more dependent on what resolution you wish to run. If you plan to do 1080 with medium textures, you can theoretically hold tight for the moment and make do until the game progresses further (better optimization) and newer gpus come out. If you want to run it comfortably, a 290x or the 970 would be the safest bet. Of course, 8gb ram required. 16gb would be better, but not at all required.

960 ~ 290 < 290x = 970 < 980 < 290xcrossfire = 970sli < 295x < 980sli

The amd line will require more power than the nvidea side. Free-sync is AMD, G-sync is Nvidea, in case you are looking into monitors that have those features. Other than that, the choice between is more dependent on program and software you prefer; for gaming, the choice isn't too big a deal. 970 and 290x are still near equal, regardless of the 3.5 + .5 fiasco. That issue is not as big a deal in the long run. 980 is still the best bet for 4k, unless you get into the titans.

Resolutions (based on nvidea)

960 = 1080

970 = 1440 (970sli does not do as well for 4k, can be done but 980 is better)

980 = 4k (sli if you want decent fps)

For question 2...

As Grrizz mentioned, depends on your overall goal. For friends, you want to have an armada, or want to actually run with them on the same ship, like your own firefly (serenity), or enterprise? Focus toward fighting/pvp or towards exploration, etc?

Check out: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ship-specs

Flyable (can be used currently in ac)

Group ships, in order of decreasing size: orion (mining vessel), reclaimer (salvage vessel), endeavor (hospital/science ship), constellation (multi-role), carrack (exploration ship), redeemer (troop transport, flying brick), retaliator (bomber and med-large fighter), vanguard (recon and long distance fighter), freelancer (space trucker), caterpiller (less law abiding space trucker, more modular), starfarer (transport, specifically for liquids and gas), cutlass (merc/pirate/militia ship that can be silent run better).

Smaller ships, in order of increasing size: Mustang (starter ship, agile), Aurora (starter ship, balanced), Reliant (third starter, not out yet), Karthu-al (xi-an scout, most agile light fighter), m50 (really fast light fighter), 300 series (light agile ships, looks more like a fighter jet), avenger (more like a warthog), gladius (light-med fighter), hornet (space superiority medium fighter), vanduul scythe (med fighter)

Missed a few, but I think I got most of them.

Edit: forgot to mention, welcome to the forums, and the community. Don't forget to follow threads you start, so that you may see the notifications when people reply; otherwise, you only get notified when quoted or referenced.

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

WD Blue 1TB / HX850 / Phanteks Enthoo Pro

@Nirjhor

Grrizz does have it right, but in regards to gpu, it would be more dependent on what resolution you wish to run. If you plan to do 1080 with medium textures, you can theoretically hold tight for the moment and make do until the game progresses further (better optimization) and newer gpus come out. If you want to run it comfortably, a 290x or the 970 would be the safest bet. Of course, 8gb ram required. 16gb would be better, but not at all required.

960 ~ 290 < 290x = 970 < 980 < 290xcrossfire = 970sli < 295x < 980sli

The amd line will require more power than the nvidea side. Free-sync is AMD, G-sync is Nvidea, in case you are looking into monitors that have those features. Other than that, the choice between is more dependent on program and software you prefer; for gaming, the choice isn't too big a deal. 970 and 290x are still near equal, regardless of the 3.5 + .5 fiasco. That issue is not as big a deal in the long run. 980 is still the best bet for 4k, unless you get into the titans.

Resolutions (based on nvidea)

960 = 1080

970 = 1440 (970sli does not do as well for 4k, can be done but 980 is better)

980 = 4k (sli if you want decent fps)

For question 2...

As Grrizz mentioned, depends on your overall goal. For friends, you want to have an armada, or want to actually run with them on the same ship, like your own firefly (serenity), or enterprise? Focus toward fighting/pvp or towards exploration, etc?

Check out: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ship-specs

Flyable (can be used currently in ac)

Group ships, in order of decreasing size: orion (mining vessel), reclaimer (salvage vessel), endeavor (hospital/science ship), constellation (multi-role), carrack (exploration ship), redeemer (troop transport, flying brick), retaliator (bomber and med-large fighter), vanguard (recon and long distance fighter), freelancer (space trucker), caterpiller (less law abiding space trucker, more modular), starfarer (transport, specifically for liquids and gas), cutlass (merc/pirate/militia ship that can be silent run better).

Smaller ships, in order of increasing size: Mustang (starter ship, agile), Aurora (starter ship, balanced), Reliant (third starter, not out yet), Karthu-al (xi-an scout, most agile light fighter), m50 (really fast light fighter), 300 series (light agile ships, looks more like a fighter jet), avenger (more like a warthog), gladius (light-med fighter), hornet (space superiority medium fighter), vanduul scythe (med fighter)

Missed a few, but I think I got most of them.

Edit: forgot to mention, welcome to the forums, and the community. Don't forget to follow threads you start, so that you may see the notifications when people reply; otherwise, you only get notified when quoted or referenced.

Thnx drewjn

And thnx for the suggestion. I will from now :)

Seems I made an error, 960 < 290, but the rest is still correct.

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

WD Blue 1TB / HX850 / Phanteks Enthoo Pro

My specs are

AMD 1090T

ASUS Formula IV mobo

16 GIGs of ram

1 dedicated SSD for Star Citizen

XFX R9 290X

The game runs realy good now should I update cpu and mobo? and to what?

The only thing fair in life is between first and third.

My specs are

AMD 1090T

ASUS Formula IV mobo

16 GIGs of ram

1 dedicated SSD for Star Citizen

XFX R9 290X

The game runs realy good now should I update cpu and mobo? and to what?

If it runs good, no.

I would wait till its out