[COMPLETE] Project ARoMa

DigitalHermit

Project ARoMa

(ARoMa is an alternate reading of ア―六〇 which is an alternate writing of A-60)

ft. Toshiba Satellite A-60

gSTAv.png

Introduction

Allow me to introduce you to Project ARoMa, my not-so-cutting-edge not-so-portable laptop. The laptop in question is a Toshiba Satellite A60 from way back in the early 2000s.

This one is in blue-silver-black and has been with me for around 5 years now (after someone gave it to me)... This baby survived mild water damage and a 2m+ drop...

Now why am I posting a build log of it? Because she broke a few months back and I was finally free to fix her today... She had some mild water damage and some corrosion this time around so I just had to strip her down and get to work...

Specs

• CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHz HT
  • GPU: ATIi Mobility Radeon with 64MB VRAM (?)
  • MoBo: Toshiba Satellite A60-192
  • RAM: 256MB DDR1 800MHz
  • HDD: N/A (the HDD died on me... anybody know where to get a laptop IDE HDD for cheaps?)
  • PSU: 100W 19V LiteOn power brick
  • Cooling: this beast of a laptop heatsink (makes up 20% of the laptop's weight)

gSTKl.jpg

gSTQV.jpg

gSTIH.jpg

gSTHO.jpg

gSTE6.jpg

gSTBX.jpg

gSTCx.jpg

Process

So I went ahead and took her apart... It was messy so there will be no images of the teardown... But here's the reassembly images...

gSTB4.jpg

I cleaned out some substance buildup near the traces for her 19V power supply... Might've been the cause of her coma...

Did a bare test boot with only the RAM and HDD in...

gSTTv.jpg

gSTUg.jpg

gSTVb.jpg

gSVth.jpg

gSVu0.jpg

For now, she's waiting for a disc carrying Damn Small Linux (I don't have any blank CDs on me)... I intend to run it using a LiveCD (because USB Boot was not yet mainstream when she hit the market) until she boots her last (read: not anytime soon)...

I'll update when the disc is ready and she's online...

UPDATE

Got Damn Small Linux on a disc and booted her up...

gTTh5.jpg

gTSWP.jpg

gTSVX.jpg

It's got some really basic functionality right now and it would serve as my backup system for desperate times...

Might get around to painting her when I feel like it... I'll update this thread then...