Mic for Mechanical Keyboard?

Makaseo

Title may seem a bit weird, but I'm looking for a cheap mic that'll pick up the least amount of noise from my keyboard with MX Blues. I was looking into a Modmic or the Zalman ZM-Mic1, but I'm hesitant because of the extra wires hanging off my head.

USB or 3.5mm isn't an issue for me, and I'd like to stay under 50 USD. Or would all desktop-style microphones pick up the closer keyboard better than my speech? I'm not sure how directionality works with mics. Thanks for any advice!

Title may seem a bit weird, but I'm looking for a cheap mic that'll pick up the least amount of noise from my keyboard with MX Blues. I was looking into a Modmic or the Zalman ZM-Mic1, but I'm hesitant because of the extra wires hanging off my head.

USB or 3.5mm isn't an issue for me, and I'd like to stay under 50 USD. Or would all desktop-style microphones pick up the closer keyboard better than my speech? I'm not sure how directionality works with mics. Thanks for any advice!

any mic you can just put a noise gate on to not turn on unless you are talking.

cheaper solution is to use a chat program with push-to-talk function 

edit: some games I bind PTT to middle mouse button so you can talk without moving your hands. 

That's the issue with MX Blues. Should've looked into getting Browns but too late.
Too lower the sounds of your keyboard that your mic catches, try and get a mic with noise-cancelling, a microphone that is designed to filter ambient noise from the desired sound.

Any normal mic is going to pick up the blues. The voice activation in teamspeak doesn't set off my ModMic when I have it set correctly, however.

You could get a noise canceling microphone (the noise from one side of the mic cancels out the same sound picked up by the other end), but I know of no affordable examples, or if they would be effective for Cherry MX Blues...

P.S. If the extra cables worry you with the ModMic, you could use some heat shrink tubing to bind the cables together. The Zalman Clip-on has little plastic barbs along the length of it's cable to clasp to your headphone's wires.

buy orings for your keys? it dampens the sound and cheaper than buying a new mic

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

buy orings for your keys? it dampens the sound and cheaper than buying a new mic

O-rings will not dampen the click of Cherry MX Blue's at the actuation point, but will help with bottoming out of any mechanical switch..

O-rings will not dampen the click of Cherry MX Blue's at the actuation point, but will help with bottoming out of any mechanical switch..

correct, the majority of the noise come from the switch bottoming out. the acuation point isnt that loud

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

correct, the majority of the noise come from the switch bottoming out. the acuation point isnt that loud

??

Every switch has that same "clack" from bottoming out. But Blues (and Greens) have that annoying loud "click" at the actuation point which is what the OP's problem is.

o-rings will not solve that problem

That's the issue with MX Blues. Should've looked into getting Browns but too late.

Too lower the sounds of your keyboard that your mic catches, try and get a mic with noise-cancelling, a microphone that is designed to filter ambient noise from the desired sound.

I have a blue Yeti with a Logitech G710+ which have browns and o-rings pre-installed. No matter where I position the mic (cardiod with gain at the lowest setting) it still picks up my keyboard clicks. I guess the only alternative is to use Push To Talk.

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

one of the oddest questions ever, as you can just fix this stuff with auto-detect, and you can control at what level things are picked up, simple stuff really. I don't see why you have to replace your ENTIRE mic just for that, use teamspeak 3 silly.

just get any basic desktop mic

Learn to type without bottoming out the keys, you'll reduce the noise by half AND type faster. If you're bottoming out the keys, you aren't typing properly.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers