Need guidance with cost effective PC upgrade

cuzn8r

My current system:

CPU: Intel core i7 860

Mainboard: Gigabyte P55-UD3

GPU: AMD Radeon 6450

RAM: 16 Gb

HDD: 500Gb (but I frequently use an external hard drive)

I'm interested in higher quality graphics for gaming.

I'm willing to commit a maximum of ~350AUD to improving this.

My real questions:

What should I upgrade? 

Should I consider dual graphics cards? 

If so what ones? 

Should I increase my budget to allow for the advantages of dual cards?

How do I implement dual cards?

What other pertinent information is required for you (or I) to make these decisions, besides what I included above?

gpu is number one and yes consider dual gpu if its sub $100

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I'd suggest a new gpu, and you should tell us your powersupply.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Pretty sure that motherboard doesn't support SLI, older ones are rare to support dual graphics, and if they do, they would be expensive. Most things in Australlia are expensive, you might find a 770 for that budget, if you do, stick to that.

As well, SLI won't improve gaming performance that much, it is useful for other things such as rendering. Stick to a 770 at hopes.

My current system:

CPU: Intel core i7 860

Mainboard: Gigabyte P55-UD3

GPU: AMD Radeon 6450

RAM: 16 Gb

HDD: 500Gb (but I frequently use an external hard drive)

I'm interested in higher quality graphics for gaming.

I'm willing to commit a maximum of ~350AUD to improving this.

My real questions:

What should I upgrade? 

Should I consider dual graphics cards? 

If so what ones? 

Should I increase my budget to allow for the advantages of dual cards?

How do I implement dual cards?

What other pertinent information is required for you (or I) to make these decisions, besides what I included above?

This is what I'd get:

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9280xtdfd

The GPU will be the only thing that you'll need to upgrade for now. Consider a full system upgrade in the future (with more money). 

Getting a single 280X will wreck two 6450's.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Definitely GPU. If you choose to go sli you will have to upgrade your motherboard first which will be quite expensive to find one that supports sli and fits with your processor so invest the most you can in that GPU.

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

-A shotgun wielding redneck

This is what I'd get:

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9280xtdfd

The GPU will be the only thing that you'll need to upgrade for now. Consider a full system upgrade in the future (with more money). 

Getting a single 280X will wreck two 6450's.

I was also thinking of a 280(x) card.  Should be a MASSIVE improvement over that 6450.