Poker II vs Ducky Shine Mini vs Others

I am looking for an amazing 60% keyboard, and have found that either the Poker II or the Ducky Shine Mini are the way to go.  Any reasons to go or not to go with either of them?  Do you guys recommend any other ones?  If so, try to keep the price around $100.  Thanks for the help!

I have the mini with custom keycaps and I love it! I have not tried the poker so no comment there. 

The mini has an amazing build quality and no needed software so all of my macros will work no issue on any machine I use. I love the size and I have yet to have any issues. I think you can't go wrong with either of these, but since I have a mini I am voting for that!

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

I am looking for an amazing 60% keyboard, and have found that either the Poker II or the Ducky Shine Mini are the way to go.  Any reasons to go or not to go with either of them?  Do you guys recommend any other ones?  If so, try to keep the price around $100.  Thanks for the help!

Both are great. Whichever is cheaper go for that, although if they're within $3 of eachother with shipping or something like that I might be more sided to the Ducky since I trust them above all brands. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Both are great. Whichever is cheaper go for that, although if they're within $3 of eachother with shipping or something like that I might be more sided to the Ducky since I trust them above all brands. 

Is there a way to take off those metal ring things on the side of the Ducky?  That is the only thing that bugs me on it.  

I have seen people doing things to the Ducky Mini's case so that it can fit in one of the TEX cases, although you will need to do some fiddling when it comes to the USB port.

Also worth mentioning that Vortex is releasing the POK3R some time this year, so you might want to wait for that (either to get one of those, or to pick up a price-reduced Poker II).

That said, if it was a straight choice between the Mini and the Poker, I'd go with the Poker any day of the week, simply because of the extended, additional Programming Layer. This extends to beyond macros; you can effectively remap the entire board on an extra Pn/Fn layer without the need for any additional firmware (e.g. the arrow keys come mapped to Fn+WASD, but you can move those wherever). Once you get comfortable with it, the Poker really doesn't feel like a 60% until you try to reach for a numpad (which I'm still doing sometimes, heh).

If you really like the Mini though, you can spend a bit more money to pick up a YOTH edition (though they may be harder to find now), which comes with a CNC case (which is slightly smaller and more form fitting) as well as coming in a variety of switch types (e.g. Clear, Green).

Is there a way to take off those metal ring things on the side of the Ducky?  That is the only thing that bugs me on it.  

Not totally sure TBH. I wouldn't mess with it. If that bothers you then you're totally safe with the Poker.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Not totally sure TBH. I wouldn't mess with it. If that bothers you then you're totally safe with the Poker.

It isn't that bad, I just want to save as much desk space as possible, the new desk I am getting is extremely limited but in my room, a worthy trade off IMO.  If I can, I'm probably gunna get the KBParadise v60.  I have heard really good things about it, the layout is what I want (like the ducky), and it has dual LED backlight, like the ducky.  It pretty much is the ducky just without those metal bezels.  

Now the hard choice, should I get blue or green switches...  Never tried green, but I like blue.  Their tactile bump and sound is amazing, but they were a little light.  I saw that the greens need about 80g of force, which is a lot.  Does that hurt your hands pushing so hard?

It isn't that bad, I just want to save as much desk space as possible, the new desk I am getting is extremely limited but in my room, a worthy trade off IMO.  If I can, I'm probably gunna get the KBParadise v60.  I have heard really good things about it, the layout is what I want (like the ducky), and it has dual LED backlight, like the ducky.  It pretty much is the ducky just without those metal bezels.  

Now the hard choice, should I get blue or green switches...  Never tried green, but I like blue.  Their tactile bump and sound is amazing, but they were a little light.  I saw that the greens need about 80g of force, which is a lot.  Does that hurt your hands pushing so hard?

I use Greens and they do hurt to game on for me for more than an hour. If you game a lot then by all means avoid these. I have heavy hands and simply can't game on them for very long.

Blues are for the lighter handed. I like blues but wanted more heft so I went for greens. It'll take a little while to learn to type on a mechanical keyboard but from what I've seen from people using my keyboard, moving on to greens from laptop keyboards and such doesn't seem to take that long.

Poker if you plan to do alot of modding and painting

Not gunna do any modding and painting, just probably get new keycaps eventually.

I use Greens and they do hurt to game on for me for more than an hour. If you game a lot then by all means avoid these. I have heavy hands and simply can't game on them for very long.

Blues are for the lighter handed. I like blues but wanted more heft so I went for greens. It'll take a little while to learn to type on a mechanical keyboard but from what I've seen from people using my keyboard, moving on to greens from laptop keyboards and such doesn't seem to take that long.

Okay that's what I thought.  I have a Corsair k70 with Cherry MX Reds and Dampeners, so greens would be the complete opposite of what I have.  I'm not very accurate at typing with my keyboard, but on blues I am a lot faster.  It might make a little difference in gaming with Blues vs Reds, but not much and I will get used to it.  Gunna sell my Wii and it's games this weekend to get it :D

If I can, I'm probably gunna get the KBParadise v60.  I have heard really good things about it, the layout is what I want (like the ducky), and it has dual LED backlight, like the ducky.  It pretty much is the ducky just without those metal bezels.  Now the hard choice, should I get blue or green switches... 

The KBP V60 Mini is what I'm going to be getting, since I also don't care about customizing and key remaps.  They recently had it on Massdrop for $90.

The dual-LED lighting is much more advanced on the Ducky Mini though.  It has more effects (reactive, rain drop, color cycling, etc) and it can blend the two LED colors together, where as the V60 can only do one color.  But they pretty much ruined it with the thick-ass bezels.

As for the switches, the key press on the greens is only slightly heavier than the blues, but has a stronger (more distinctive) click.  If you feel that blues are too light, then you'll definitely like the greens.

Not gunna do any modding and painting, just probably get new keycaps eventually.

If that's the case then both the Poker and the V60 are not for you. While not exactly 60% (more like 70-75%), the Keycool 84 and the Filco Minila are slightly larger (because they have arrow keys and navigational buttons), but significantly more vanilla, as you don't need to do as much fiddling to use them as you would a normal board. The Keycool 84 (and its direct competitor, the Vortex KBT Race) have a function row, so that might make it too big for your purposes.

If it's just aesthetic changes (at a keycap level) that you're looking to do, it's better to save yourself the hassle and just pick up the Ducky or something like a Leopold FC660M.

Buncha wusses! Get both! :P  :D  Just joking, I have two KBP V60 (MX Green and MX White) as well as a Ducky YoTH, like the Ducky more simply because of the cool lighting effects.....especially raindrop in various colors.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

If that's the case then both the Poker and the V60 are not for you. While not exactly 60% (more like 70-75%), the Keycool 84 and the Filco Minila are slightly larger (because they have arrow keys and navigational buttons), but significantly more vanilla, as you don't need to do as much fiddling to use them as you would a normal board. The Keycool 84 (and its direct competitor, the Vortex KBT Race) have a function row, so that might make it too big for your purposes.

If it's just aesthetic changes (at a keycap level) that you're looking to do, it's better to save yourself the hassle and just pick up the Ducky or something like a Leopold FC660M.

The problem is all the KB you recommended are too big.  I literally need the smallest keyboard I can find that has no size compromise.  I was looking at them, but measured the pull out drawer space that my new desk has and the v60 fits perfectly.  I don't really care about fiddling with the keyboard to get it to work perfectly, that is part of the fun :)

The KBP V60 Mini is what I'm going to be getting, since I also don't care about customizing and key remaps.  They recently had it on Massdrop for $90.

The dual-LED lighting is much more advanced on the Ducky Mini though.  It has more effects (reactive, rain drop, color cycling, etc) and it can blend the two LED colors together, where as the V60 can only do one color.  But they pretty much ruined it with the thick-ass bezels.

As for the switches, the key press on the greens is only slightly heavier than the blues, but has a stronger (more distinctive) click.  If you feel that blues are too light, then you'll definitely like the greens.

I don't really care for lighting, all that I want is red back light.  I could care less if it were 2 color, and I feel that the reactive typing modes are distracting, especially in the dark.  

The problem is all the KB you recommended are too big.  I literally need the smallest keyboard I can find that has no size compromise.  I was looking at them, but measured the pull out drawer space that my new desk has and the v60 fits perfectly.  I don't really care about fiddling with the keyboard to get it to work perfectly, that is part of the fun :)

If size is the biggest factor, then you may want to look at either the Planck or the Atomic: http://ortholinearkeyboards.com/

The layout is extremely different to one is normally used to, but it is the most space efficient, while maintaining all reasonable function.

If that's too weird, then based on everything you've said so far (some of which is confusing), then the only differences between the V60 and the Poker II are the layout of their function layers:

718x433xKBP-V60-Mini-Review-DIP-Switches
for the V60

https://s3.amazonaws.com/f.cl.ly/items/2T211n0X453Z263M372w/Poker%20II%20User%20Manual%20%28V1.00%29.pdfFor the Poker II.

This is of course assuming you don't use the Poker II's ability to reprogram layers.

HOWEVER when all is said and done, I would still recommend waiting for the POK3R above all else.

If size is the biggest factor, then you may want to look at either the Planck or the Atomic: http://ortholinearkeyboards.com/

The layout is extremely different to one is normally used to, but it is the most space efficient, while maintaining all reasonable function.

lol that keyboard seems a little too weird, i think it would take a while to get used to and throw me off for any other keyboards.  I have heard a lot about the poker ii, why do people recommend it over most 60% keyboards excluding the HHKB?  I might just add an LED strip over my keyboard for lighting if it is really that worth it over the v60.

This is of course assuming you don't use the Poker II's ability to reprogram layers.

HOWEVER when all is said and done, I would still recommend waiting for the POK3R above all else.

Ugh, I can't find it in stock anywhere.  Can you send a link to where I should buy it?  

lol that keyboard seems a little too weird, i think it would take a while to get used to and throw me off for any other keyboards.  I have heard a lot about the poker ii, why do people recommend it over most 60% keyboards excluding the HHKB?  I might just add an LED strip over my keyboard for lighting if it is really that worth it over the v60.

Because of its additional programming layer; notice how the four modifiers on the bottom right aren't your traditional Alt/Win/Menu/Control, it's Alt/FN/PN/Control. Fn + Right Shift turns it into "programming mode" which is effectively a watered-down version of the macro recording you have on most "gaming" keyboards. From that, holding Pn+Your binded button inputs whatever function/keymap you binded to that key in the Program Mode. It's this extra layer of flexibility that people really love; something you can't get as effectively from the V60. HHKBs are a totally different ballgame, and you shouldn't even think about those if budget is a factor.

Ugh, I can't find it in stock anywhere.  Can you send a link to where I should buy it?  

They aren't out yet. According to Vortex's Facebook page, they expect late this year/early next year. If that time frame isn't acceptable to you, then the Poker II is fine. The main upgrades from 2 to 3 are simply extended Function layer as a base, a nice case as standard, and potentially extra profiles/layers of programming.

oh, and PBT keycaps as standard if you care about that.

They aren't out yet. According to Vortex's Facebook page, they expect late this year/early next year. If that time frame isn't acceptable to you, then the Poker II is fine. The main upgrades from 2 to 3 are simply extended Function layer as a base, a nice case as standard, and potentially extra profiles/layers of programming.

oh, and PBT keycaps as standard if you care about that.

That time frame is a little late, so I will just go with the Poker II.  I can't find the Poker II in stock anywhere though, could you send me a link?

That time frame is a little late, so I will just go with the Poker II.  I can't find the Poker II in stock anywhere though, could you send me a link?

Depends; Amazon should have some, as should NewEgg.

I'm in the UK (and use ISO) so that also probably skews supply. I don't know what the US equivalent is, but the UK has services/sites such as Scan and Overclockers, so you might want to consider something like that.

I'm typing this on my mini. I love it!

But... I'm looking for a new keyboard because of it's difficulty to do a lot of functions. I know most of them are here, and I do use them, but after about 6 months I'm making the return to the full keyboard.

I'm keeping my ducky forever though. It's a cute little keyboard and wonderfully portable.

Depends; Amazon should have some, as should NewEgg.

I'm in the UK (and use ISO) so that also probably skews supply. I don't know what the US equivalent is, but the UK has services/sites such as Scan and Overclockers, so you might want to consider something like that.

Amazon has it, but it is 175 for some reason.  Newegg has it, but it is with Browns only.  I'm just going to go with the v60 because I don't feel like spending 175, for that price I might as well get the HHKB.  I can't find it on eBay or Classifieds or Overclock.net for some reason either.  I don't think the hassle is worth it for the minor improvements.