Could someone help? Issues with my first build

Hey guys,

Firstly i appreciate you taking your time to read this and possibly help me. i built my PC about 2 months ago now. now my pc has always ahd this weird issue where it would boot up for a second, shut off for half a second and then boot up normally after that without me touching it. Recently (by recently i mean last night and two days before hand my computer has refused to boot saying that the over clock has failed (even though i haven't done any over clocking at all.)  last night i managed to get it to boot into bios and the cpu temp was recorded as 95 degress it sounds like a scary number to me, and one thing i have noticed i only times it has literally failed to boot has been half an hour or so after i have been using my pc and turned it off and then back on. i don't know of any further information needed for diagnostics but any advice on where to go from here would be helpful thanks.

telling us your computer specs may help

reapply CPU cooler?

CPU: 5820K GPU: Gigabyte G1 970 RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Mobo: EVGA m-ATX Cooler: Corsair H100i Case: Xigmatek Aquila PSU: NZXT 700W Monitors: 2 x Wasabi Mango (1440p)

Do you play Go/Baduk/Weiqi? I am AGA 4D.

"We do not shop by brand, we shop by what delivers us the best performance, features and quality for the money we're spending" - Linus (Techquickie)

Follow your own topic, of your won't get notifications of replies.

-For the start and insta-shutdown thing, try re-seating the CPU, this has happened to me on two builds, and that fixed it. Reapply thermal compound for the hell of it. 

-When in doubt, re-seat and replug everything. RAM, PSU cabling, CPU cooler, etc... It's a b**ch but it's worth it.

-Check your motherboard (or CPU if AMD) for bent pins?

Also look on your motherboard to see which LEDs illuminate, and refer to the manual to see if it's normal or not.

Overclocking failed? Reset BIOS stuff to default and see if that does it? Maybe you have the wrong XMP profile enabled for your memory? (if you're using XPM that is)

Would definitely help if you posted your components.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

95C is definetly scary for BIOS. You should be seeing something like 45C.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

CPU: Intel Core i7 4820K

Asus: P9X79

GPU: Giggbyte 970

PSU: Corsair RM850

Corsair H60 single rad cooler

and Kingston hyper x 8GB ram stick

and thanks for the advice :)

CPU: Intel Core i7 4820K

Asus: P9X79

GPU: Giggbyte 970

PSU: Corsair RM850

Corsair H60 single rad cooler

and Kingston hyper x 8GB ram stick

and thanks for the advice :)

If you haven't yet done so, try reseating the cpu block for tbe H60, or reapplying thermal compound in addition to the former.

If that doesn't help, have you looked at getting a 240mm radiator? What case do you own by the way?

Edit: Actually, one more thing - is the pump in your H60 plugged in an running? When you do turn your computer on, do you hear the motor running and fluid moving?

Current build: Konata-ROG

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-4790K, 4.4GHz @ 1.2V | Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VI Impact | Cooler: H80i GT with 2x Silverstone Air Penetrator 120mm | Case: Cooler Master Elite 130| SSD: AData SP550 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 750GB 2.5; WD Blue SSHD 1TB 2.5; WD Red 1TB 3.5 | RAM: Mushkin Redline 2x8GB DDR3-1866 | VGA: Sapphire Dual-X R9 280X | PSU: Silverstone SX600-L

Current build: Konata-HTPC

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-6100 (currently at stock) | Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 | Cooler: Silverstone AR-06 | Case: Silverstone GD10 | SSD: AData SX900 256GB | RAM: ADATA XPG 2X4GB DDR3-1600, Kingston HyperX 2-4GB DDR3-1600 | VGA: MSI HD7950 Twin Frozr III | LG Blu-Ray PSU: XFX TS 750W

If you haven't yet done so, try reseating the cpu block for tbe H60, or reapplying thermal compound in addition to the former.

If that doesn't help, have you looked at getting a 240mm radiator? What case do you own by the way?

Edit: Actually, one more thing - is the pump in your H60 plugged in an running? When you do turn your computer on, do you hear the motor running and fluid moving?

^ This, if it's anything like the H100i's make sure both the SATA power connector and the 3-pin header are plugged in (was never sure which did which, but cant hurt to make sure both are in) 

Oh and you will need aftermarket thermal compound, I don't think the H60 comes with any, just stock.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Ah alright thanks for the advice, on the thermal compound will any after market compound work or should i stick to certain ones?

Also i did look into getting a dual rad but with with 6 pin connector being at the top of my case i could barely just fans between the wires sticking out and the roof of the case.

and i am 90% sure i have everything connected up, but i will have a look when i can cake the thing apart.

I know first hand that the h60 does come with stock cooling compound. Even though it sucks. I suggest getting some IC diamond. I literally have been using this stuff for 6+ years and its great! 

Check to make sure you tightened down the cooler properly. I know sometimes this seems like a dumb thing but its often overlooked cause some people didnt wanna "crank down on it too much" and it fails to apply pressure and get a good contact to the processor and wont be cooling properly. 

That being said check all your connections. Its possible one might be loose and or missing. 

Typically the error message about the over clock usually spawns from an issue in the bios. You may wanna do a bios reset and see if that helps you. There may be something that you may have incorrect. Also if there's a newer version of the bios available for your mobo you might wanna upgrade to that as well. Being an asus board they are easy to flash and update the bios. 

Okay i had a check inside, tested the pump it is working and everything is connected up i took the cooler off and re installed it just to make sure when i did that i noticed the thermol compound looked gone basically all burnt up. could it be that the cooler just isn't good enough to cool the cpu or is that a silly question?

Okay i had a check inside, tested the pump it is working and everything is connected up i took the cooler off and re installed it just to make sure when i did that i noticed the thermol compound looked gone basically all burnt up. could it be that the cooler just isn't good enough to cool the cpu or is that a silly question?

Clean the cpu heat spreader and the h60 block with rubbing alcohol, and reapply thermal paste. Make sure to tighten down the water block. If this doesn't help with the temps, we'll try something else.

It could have been a bit loose allowing the cpu (and the thermal compound) to cook up. Then again, no idea what quality the paste thay comes with the h60 is like.

Current build: Konata-ROG

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-4790K, 4.4GHz @ 1.2V | Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VI Impact | Cooler: H80i GT with 2x Silverstone Air Penetrator 120mm | Case: Cooler Master Elite 130| SSD: AData SP550 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 750GB 2.5; WD Blue SSHD 1TB 2.5; WD Red 1TB 3.5 | RAM: Mushkin Redline 2x8GB DDR3-1866 | VGA: Sapphire Dual-X R9 280X | PSU: Silverstone SX600-L

Current build: Konata-HTPC

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-6100 (currently at stock) | Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 | Cooler: Silverstone AR-06 | Case: Silverstone GD10 | SSD: AData SX900 256GB | RAM: ADATA XPG 2X4GB DDR3-1600, Kingston HyperX 2-4GB DDR3-1600 | VGA: MSI HD7950 Twin Frozr III | LG Blu-Ray PSU: XFX TS 750W