This is why Drone users cannot have nice things...

Bittenfleax

A DJI Phantom 2 has been caught trying to drop a KNIFE, DRUGS AND PHONES into a prison in the UK...

Because of it's 0.5 Mile range it can be flown from a long way. The only reason why it was caught is because it crashed.... yeah, the guy flying it crashed and lost the £700-£900 Drone as well as the contraband along side. 

51cdzSPF9hL._SL1280_.jpg

[The drone that was used]

One of the Chief Officers of the prison said this:

"Staff have recently covered up the cell windows that face outwards to prevent stuff being thrown in."

I mean.... after all of this rubbish with drones becoming more difficult to fly anywhere in the UK, I think this will tip the glass. All of the "radical" politicians will be all over this trying to ban drones in the UK.

Good to know that a person has already been arrested though.

Anyway, people always have to ruin the fun. :(

Source: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/130203-drone-found-crashed-outside-a-prison-carrying-drugs-phones-and-tobacco & http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/techandscience/drone-flies-into-uk-prison-with-knife-drugs-and-phones/ar-BBiBxLT#page=1

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

I'm surprised they haven't been banned in the US already with the Mexican drug cartels trying to fly drugs over the boarder with them.

Not that they should be, just that politicians love to blow things out of proportions in an effort to make themselves more popular.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

just that politicians love to blow things out of proportions in an effort to make themselves more popular.

I agree with this A LOT. ^^^

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

I agree with this A LOT. ^^^

The sad part is that they do it so frequently, it's hard to tell what's actually important that they are trying to distract people from.

I imagine that prisons will start to take advantage of existing anti-drone technology, similar to what France Nuclear Power Stations are doing. Anti-drone-drones, nets, possibly wireless and GPS dead-zones and jammers, etc.

It's a problem that they must combat, but at the same time, try to find a balance that doesn't outright ban them for UK citizens.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Here in Canada many prisons are jamming, so dones are pretty much useless around here for dropping stuff into prisons. If you want to get something in you better know a guard.

This is a major problem. Prisoners are already known for making chives out of tooth brushes, but to have an actualy wepon droped in is a... very simmaler story actually.

regardless, this is probubly going to set back drone users.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

I imagine that prisons will start to take advantage of existing anti-drone technology, similar to what France Nuclear Power Stations are doing. Anti-drone-drones, nets, possibly wireless and GPS dead-zones and jammers, etc.

It's a problem that they must combat, but at the same time, try to find a balance that doesn't outright ban them for UK citizens.

The kinds of drones you want to use for heavy lifting all employ GPS based stabilization, theres no other way to move that much mass through the air. Thats the good thing, since DJI can just push a update that adds prisons as no fly zones. They can even FORCE the drones to be updated, as seen on the Inspire which actually shuts down after a few days if you don't give it the latest update. 

The kinds of drones you want to use for heavy lifting all employ GPS based stabilization, theres no other way to move that much mass through the air. Thats the good thing, since DJI can just push a update that adds prisons as no fly zones. They can even FORCE the drones to be updated, as seen on the Inspire which actually shuts down after a few days if you don't give it the latest update. 

Wouldn't someone with enough time and the inclination be able to bypass all of that though?

Wouldn't someone with enough time and the inclination be able to bypass all of that though?

Yeah, if they introduced a custom flight computer. It's certainly possible with enough technical and/or engineering skill.

But the GPS Satellite providers could possibly introduce a GPS blackout from their end too - I'm not sure how much control they have over things like that.

Alternatively, the prisons could just drop in Radio Jammers that block the frequencies that GPS satellites transmit on.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yeah, if they introduced a custom flight computer. It's certainly possible with enough technical and/or engineering skill.

But the GPS Satellite providers could possibly introduce a GPS blackout from their end too - I'm not sure how much control they have over things like that.

Alternatively, the prisons could just drop in Radio Jammers that block the frequencies that GPS satellites transmit on.

Couldn't you replace the GPS control with accelerometer control?

don't forget about the one a month or so ago trying to stun gun people

Depends on drone size and mass. the accelerometers in those drones arent the most precise things ever :P

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Depends on drone size and mass. the accelerometers in those drones arent the most precise things ever :P

But it would be possible if you had one large enough, yes?

don't forget about the one a month or so ago trying to stun gun people

Don't give the police more terrible ideas please

Even my Phantom in manual mode is a tricky dick. 

A proper rig with weight to it requires steady hands that most users straight up don't have. 

Sure, but you'd essentially have to map the entire geography along it's height, add in sensors to avoid obstacles, and a flight computer to control against forces such as wind, along with a compass to correct for heading changes.

Anyone with programming and engineering skill could make a drone that flies in a straight line with absolutely no exterior forces (say, inside a warehouse). Making one that can actually fly into a prison and drop off some sort of goods? That's a whole different situation.

Even my Phantom in manual mode is a tricky dick. 

A proper rig with weight to it requires steady hands that most users straight up don't have. 

Quite - especially when you consider that these would be hypothetical kitbash "hackintosh" drones.

what people need to understand is that with everthing there is always that 1% of people that will use it for bad things and banning it (I'm talking about you FAA) will not fix it

For example

Knives are useful but some people use it for stabbing that doesn't mean you should ban it

Almost everone who is the rc hobby agree that there need to be rules like no flying in the middle of people. Having to have proof you can fly in a safe way.

Maybe a lisence to fly RC and if you do something like in the first post you aren't allowed to fly RC

Now if retarded douche canoes could just stop ruining shit for the rest of us that'd be great....

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

This is incorrect GPS in a controller is mostly used for having the multicopter automaticly go to a fixed loacation but is not needed if it is controlled manually and instead a gyro and accelerometer is used to make the multicopter move only the way you tell it to.

And the dji controller having no flyzones is a bad thing for example the is a rc airshow(can't remember the name but it is one of the biggest) that takes place every year at an airport that is shut down while the airshow is on but if you have a dji product or flight controller with GPS you can't fly there even though it's not an active airfield during the airshow