moving OS to a ssd...

Go_On_Shadow

How would I go about this or what ssd's come with cloning software, im not too bothered about the how fast the speed of the ssd is, something  reliable and cheap, only for my OS and After effects.

I just felt like I needed somthing here

Well considering that pretty much every cloning software that comes with a SSD is a reskined Acronis True Home Image... Just buy whichever SSD you want and use Acronis... Just make sure TRIM is enabled after you cloned.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Well considering that pretty much every cloning software that comes with a SSD is a reskined Acronis True Home Image... Just buy whichever SSD you want and use Acronis... Just make sure TRIM is enabled after you cloned.

What does trim do?

I just felt like I needed somthing here

What does trim do?

Kind of long to explain so here's the very short version in somewhat layman terms.

Basically, unlike a hard drive, when you delete something on a SSD, while you no longer see it in the OS, it doesn't get removed off the flash of the SSD, so think of TRIM as a Garbage collector that will go "collect" that remaining data and take them to the "dump"(deleted for real).

To learn about what TRIM really is, you can simply search on google "what is trim ssd", should give you plenty of results.

To see if TRIM is enabled, you can simply open a command prompt (CMD in the search bar) and type (copy paste) the following in it

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If the response you get is 0, TRIM is enabled. If it's 1, then it's not.

This is me with TRIM enabled:

zwmj2c.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

also relating to the topic of trim. if you're on anything pre windows8,make sure to don't defrag it

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

I highly recommend reinstalling the operating system from the ground up. If you clone your drive you could run into TRIM issues, Windows might still defragment the drive (because when it set up drive maintenance it wasn't a SSD), and no telling what else.

You can follow this guide

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/#entry4412493

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE