OwnCloud Requirements

OhhTee

Hey guys,

I want to be able to host OwnCloud on a Windows 8.1 computer that I'm about to build and all of the guides I have read so far has been all over the place. None of them have seen consistent with each other so far. Since I haven't had the chance to build the computer, I haven't physically installed OwnCloud or anything, I have just been trying to find a guide to become familiar with the process. Does anyone know a SOLID guide for installing it on a Windows 8.1 Host Computer? 

Also, do you need a domain and web host for it? i.e. dreamhost, godaddy, etc.

I'm going to have a computer dedicated to it, and also serving as a NAS for some of my files too.

Thanks,

OhhTee

Why not just install it under Ubuntu server in a VM or something? Its free and uses less resources. Also, I really dont think you need a whole computer for it

I have a VM of it with 512MB of RAM and 8GB disk space and it works just fine (Connects to file share). You dont need a host if you dont want one, you can just forward the ports through your router

This guide is a little old but worked fine for me when I installed it a few months ago - https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-owncloud-and-configure-owncloud-apps-on-an-ubuntu-12-04-vps 

Why not just install it under Ubuntu server in a VM or something? Its free and uses less resources. Also, I really dont think you need a whole computer for it

I have a VM of it with 512MB of RAM and 8GB disk space and it works just fine (Connects to file share). You dont need a host if you dont want one, you can just forward the ports through your router

This guide is a little old but worked fine for me when I installed it a few months ago - https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-owncloud-and-configure-owncloud-apps-on-an-ubuntu-12-04-vps 

I only used Windows 8.1 on it because everyone in the house is familiar with Windows and I'm going to leave it outside in the living room connected to our TV. They have only used Windows and using a different operating system isn't going to fare well with everyone haha. It's going to serve more as a mix of function including htpc/nas/general use for the living room. I'm using all of the old parts I have laying around to build it so it's not too bad. I'll check out that guide, thanks for the suggestion!

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are setting up, are you setting up the Sync Client to sync from a server, or setting up the server itself? OwnCloud can only be accessed via the WebUI

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are setting up, are you setting up the Sync Client to sync from a server, or setting up the server itself? OwnCloud can only be accessed via the WebUI

Sorry, my bad. I should have made it clearer. I want to set up the server itself on the computer AND then set up the sync clients to sync with the SERVER computer on my other computers. I just wanted some clarification since the guides I have read have been inconsistent. Hope this clears it up.

I see, what version of Windows do you have? if its Professional/Enterprise then enable HyperV and make a Ubuntu VM, with ownCloud in. It would be your best bet as that majority of people run ownCloud in a linux environment so you would get better support 

I personally would not just have it on the same machine as what everyone is using 

I see, what version of Windows do you have? if its Professional/Enterprise then enable HyperV and make a Ubuntu VM, with ownCloud in. It would be your best bet as that majority of people run ownCloud in a linux environment so you would get better support 

I personally would not just have it on the same machine as what everyone is using 

That seems like unnecessary overhead... OwnCloud server can be run on Windows with IIS/MySQL or Apache/MySQL. if he was trying to setup a proper cloud solution for syncing to the internet from multiple devices then yeah Linux would be the way to go and it would be best stuck on a VPS like DigitalOcean or Linode but to keep a couple computers around the house in sync? Nothing wrong with running it natively on Windows. Especially since OP doesn't know Linux; Learning a new OS and visualization so you can run one app you could run without either is silly. 

OP, https://doc.owncloud.org/server/8.0/admin_manual/installation/windows_installation.html

That seems like unnecessary overhead... OwnCloud server can be run on Windows with IIS/MySQL or Apache/MySQL. if he was trying to setup a proper cloud solution for syncing to the internet from multiple devices then yeah Linux would be the way to go and it would be best stuck on a VPS like DigitalOcean or Linode but to keep a couple computers around the house in sync? Nothing wrong with running it natively on Windows. Especially since OP doesn't know Linux; Learning a new OS and visualization so you can run one app you could run without either is silly. 

OP, https://doc.owncloud.org/server/8.0/admin_manual/installation/windows_installation.html

Unnecessary overhead of 256 or 512MB of RAM, and not enough CPU to notice? If you were Just keeping a couple of computers in the house in Sync then ownCloud wouldent even be the correct product, you would use something like Bittorrent Sync

ownCloud has quite a few quirks that require intervention here and there, and I bet its great having to move everyone off of the family desktop so you can perform some administration or troubleshooting that could take an hour or 2. Making it in a VM would mean you can just SSH in and no one would even know you are working on it. Not to mention it sounds like OP is starting to get interested in this kind of stuff, so one day when the ownCloud server gets moved off the desktop, onto something else it will be MUCH easier to just move over the VM and turn it back on, instead of making a whole new OC server, or doing something like P2V on the desktop

You don't really need to "Learn" a new OS and visualization. There are plenty of guides on installing ownCloud in Ubuntu (For than windows, go figure) and HyperV is so basic you wouldn't even have to use a guide (But obviously there are millions out there)

I do see where you are coming from, but for a little bit more time investment, you are going to get a lot more out of it. 

I set up OwnCloud under Windows Server (license I got from school). I ended up not using it as it was very buggy, didn't support external storage drive (you HAD to upload your files through the system, it isn't smart enough to scan your files) and my upload speed isn't great. Maybe it had improved since. I should give it a second chance.

The setup was ok-easy. They have a tutorial for an older version of Windows Server, but it isn't much different. Just keep in mind you need to create a second account in Windows Server, else many things related to web is locked down. Also keep in mind that port 80 (HTTP) is locked by most residential ISPs, but HTTPS (443) should be open. If the usage is personal, then I don't think you care about the certificate warning you'll get as you don't have a valid one, unless you can afford one and static IP for a domain name.

<snip>

Fair enough... I see your point.

I think learning Linux with OwnCloud would be necessary though... Recently when I logged in to my server and took care of a number of updates I had been neglecting it updated OwnCloud from 6.x to 8.x something that doesn't work and yet the package installer did anyway. I had to side-load 7.x, attach it to my database, copy over the config files from my other install, flip the Apache site config over to the temporary 7.x and do the update there, then copy the config files and newly updated 7.x database to the 8.x site and flip the Apache site config back over and run the update again. There was no guide to follow and it was necessary to get OwnCloud running again as it was in a half updated state. If you're going to run apps on which you place even the slightest amount of reliance you should know how to troubleshoot them and deal with issues. 

Fair enough... I see your point.

I think learning Linux with OwnCloud would be necessary though... Recently when I logged in to my server and took care of a number of updates I had been neglecting it updated OwnCloud from 6.x to 8.x something that doesn't work and yet the package installer did anyway. I had to side-load 7.x, attach it to my database, copy over the config files from my other install, flip the Apache site config over to the temporary 7.x and do the update there, then copy the config files and newly updated 7.x database to the 8.x site and flip the Apache site config back over and run the update again. There was no guide to follow and it was necessary to get OwnCloud running again as it was in a half updated state. If you're going to run apps on which you place even the slightest amount of reliance you should know how to troubleshoot them and deal with issues. 

I think is yet another reason a VM would be better, you can create a snapshot before you mess anything up during updates etc. I probably reverted to a snapshot at-least 10 or 11 times since version 6 when I initially installed, and version 8 that I am running now (The first time its automatically updated on its own without messing up!)

It is slowly getting more stable, but I would not rely on it in a million years. And this is with a VM all to itself, I dread to think what it would be like on a general use system getting rebooted all the the time without the services being stopped etc