good 4k monitor

PC_NOOB ;)

I've been using P2715Q monitors for gaming (but primarily workstation productivity), I have two of them and they've been amazing. It's IPS so the refresh rate and response rate are slower, but it's very playable and a beautiful experience. I actually used to play on 144Hz 1ms gaming monitors and it hasn't been an issue for me, been running them for about 1-2 months now. If you're going to go for 4K you should get an IPS display, if you're truely into solely gaming I would maybe get a 1440p 120-144hz IPS display, I think acer is coming out w/ one soon. 

Workstation i7-3930k | GTX 980 SLI | 2 x P2715Q (2160p) | AX1200i | H100i

Server E3-1245v3 | 24GB RAM | Be Quiet! 600W PSU | Be Quiet! Rock Pro 3

is this good for gaming? 

ASUS PB287Q 4K Monitor

Yes. It's a fantastic monitor. Also pretty affordable these days, too at about £400. The price of 4K has come down really sharply of late. Even an IPS only costs about £575 now.

it is

consider acer's gsync 4k monitor if u can afford it

Is it worth the Gsync and higher refresh rate?

i have the acer XB280hk 4k g sync monitor. if you're not fussed about g sync they do the CB280hk which is the same monitor without G sync. is it worth the money.. well I'm on the fence.. does it work? yes, is it the drastic night and day change that you can't live without?... no.. in fact I'm more than likely going to AMD for my next card, so i won't be using it regardless.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

links to an empty basket!

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

PB287Q is fine for gaming. For work, it is awful. I have it at work. not good at all. Personally, I don't want to use it.

The problem are:

-> Text is sharp only if you look straight at it, if you look text on the corner of the screen with head at the center, depending on which corner it will be too blurry, or too sharp. Really highlighting the short view angles of TN panels.

-> Back light bleeding at the top and bottom, visible on colors.

-> On screen menu navigation is nothing more than a serious pain in the butt to navigate, due to the button behind BEHIND the monitor (who thought this was a brilliant idea, I don't know)

-> PC speaker inside does a "pop" sound every time you start the computer, or change resolution or inputs. Can be annoying.

I would recommend Dell IPS 4K monitor like the 27inch Dell P2715Q or the 24inch version P2415Q.

They are not expensive, and while there is yet a in depth monitor review site that covered it, it should be OK in gaming. Dell monitor are generally very good in response time, always very competitive.

If you're going to go for 4K you should get an IPS display, if you're truely into solely gaming I would maybe get a 1440p 120-144hz IPS display, I think acer is coming out w/ one soon.

I 100% agree with this and would recommend it. ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

links to an empty basket!

Damn straight! ;)

Great post mate, although there are some spelling mistakes in there, like "teh", but overall pretty good. I personally think that TN display technology is starting to show its age and I think we'll eventually see it go the way of the dodo. I think in several years time the display technology choices will be VA (as your cheap option), IPS (as your middle priced option) and OLED (as the most premium option).

What're your thoughts on that?

@GoodBytes

Great post mate, although there are some spelling mistakes in there, like "teh", but overall pretty good. I personally think that TN display technology is starting to show its age and I think we'll eventually see it go the way of the dodo. I think in several years time the display technology choices will be VA (as your cheap option), IPS (as your middle priced option) and OLED (as the most premium option).

What're your thoughts on that?

I agree. TN panel is start showing its age. Acer has showed and reviews have confirmed that 144Hz IPS panel is now possible. Response time competes with the best range of 144Hz TN panels. It's just a question of time now to be more widely used by manufactures, and reduce pricing (not that it is super expensive to start with).

OLED still needs some work. They need to be able to fix the life span of colors, and fix the fact that when they age the colors changes. Currently software with a time slightly compensate the colors of OLED device to adjust the colors to manufacture specs. But i think if they are able to find a solution to this, OLED will start taking off in desktop and laptop space. I believe it is their last big challenge.

Thanks fix.

No worries! :)

I agree. TN panels are starting to show their age. Acer has showed and reviews have confirmed that 144Hz IPS panels are now possible. Response time competes with the best range of 144Hz TN panels. It's just a question of time now of when they'll be more widely used by manufactures, and to try an reduce pricing (not that it is super expensive to start with).

Ah, sorry, I had to fix that to reply to it probably. I'd hazard a guess that you're writing on a phone, correct?

On to the reply:

Yeah, well we'll just have to wait and see what happens over the course these several years, but I think it's safe to say that the TN display technology will be well and truly extinct by 2020. I personally don't see it lasting too many more years, it'll be great when it finally is gone.

Dang it @GoodBytes, you're not supposed to edit your post after I reply to it. :rolleyes:

OLED still needs some work. They need to be able to fix the life span of colors, and fix the fact that when they age the colors changes. Currently software with a time slightly compensate the colors of OLED device to adjust the colors to manufacture specs. But i think if they are able to find a solution to this, OLED will start taking off in desktop and laptop space. I believe it is their last big challenge.

Yeah, I am aware of this. It'll be fantastic when they can actually deal with and sort out that problem. If OLED can start to be made avaloble in consumer and prosumer monitors it'd do away with many problems that plague the current display technologies.

The benefits of the OLED display technology are as follows:

• No backlight bleeding - Due to the fact, like plasma display technology, the display technology emits its own light.

• Truer deeper blacks - Due to said reason above.

• Much higher contrast ratios obtainable - We're probably talking somewhere in the region of 2,000 - 5,000:1, like VA display technology.

• Deeper, richer and more saturated colours - Due to the higher obtainable contrast ratio and no backlight needed for the technology.

• Fantastic viewing angles - Since the display technology isn't viewing angle dependant and several other reasons as well.

And I'm sure you can think of many more, but that's just some of which I could think of.