Operation Overdose (An Epic Long Term Project!)

Joshua D

CYEBNGT.png

A project that I'm dedicating money, time, and passion, I want to create the best computer humanly possible in my power.

WiJZ2im.png

Hello, my name is Joshua, I'm 17 and I live in the United States, I go to Delaware County Technical (Vocational) School for Network Administration & Digital Forensics. Ever since I was younger I had a strong passion for computers and electronics, it began to show truly when I was around 10 or 11 when I became very interested in photography, at the time I did not realize but I do now, it wasn't the idea of taking pictures, or capturing special moments like for most photography enthusiasts but the technology behind it. Throughout my life I have always been able to get technology by asking for my parents, but because were a high-middle class income family we could not always afford the best, currently, which I do appreciate, I'm running a Dell Optiplex 745. Just recently I found a job, I work the majority of my hours after school and on the weekends. With this newly found job I plan to dedicate a good bit of my paycheck towards this project as I am only a Junior in high school and have no other obligations.  Oh ya! My profile picture is my girlfriend and I.

bLHn1Fe.png

As a gamer and a regular computer user my goals are to be able to play any game without lag in 1080p, I don't care about 4k or 5k. I also want to be able to overload my computer with programs with no problems. The looks of the PC is important but not as big as performance, sound also isn't too bad, I'm pretty fine with fans but at this point it seems I'll be going with liquid cooling. Over-all I'm hoping to keep my project of $500-1000 in total, as I only get around $80-100 a week from my job. 

i1AIdcQ.png

• Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz
  • 4.0GB DDR2 RAM
  • AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series
  • Dell Optiplex 745
  • Cisco USB Wireless Adapter
  • DVD & RW Dell Disk Drive

Ye4bZe1.png

• Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid-Tower Case ATX 4X5.25 6X3.5INT USB 1394 No PS Order Status: SHIPPED

61928_l-300x300.jpg

• Cooler Master R4-L2R-20 120mm Red LED Case Fan 2000RPM 69CFM 19DBA 3/4 Pin - Order Status: SHIPPED

1018128217.jpg

UPCOMMING

Feel free to leave me suggestions, comments, or questions regarding the project.

Links to Updates

Update #1 Pictures of old computers

Update #2 Picture of purchase of Case & Fan

Update #3 Switching from AMD to INTEL

Edited by Joshua D

O P E R A T I O N

O V E R D O S E

Creating a gaming system

Go SSD and a GTX 970 or r9 280,280x,285,290,290x,295 

Which GTX would have the best performance over price, would you say?

O P E R A T I O N

O V E R D O S E

Creating a gaming system

Which GTX would have the best performance over price, would you say?

GTX 970 is best all around card. 980 is overkill for 1080 gaming and should I even mention the Titan.

Chase B
Sound Tech and GPU Expert

Are You New? Please Click on these links to help you out. Code Of Conduct | LTT Beginners Guide 

GTX 970 is best all around card. 980 is overkill for 1080 gaming and should I even mention the Titan.

That makes me happy than, the GTX 970 is significantly cheaper than the 980, which I will eventually upgrade to.

O P E R A T I O N

O V E R D O S E

Creating a gaming system

F yeah, go Blue Rocks ;)

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

I love them old Dells. :D

The DFF OptiPlex 780's might be my favorite.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

F yeah, go Blue Rocks ;)

Are you referring to the hard drive? IN that case, indeed.

I love them old Dells. :D

The DFF OptiPlex 780's might be my favorite.

There alright from my experience, as the 745 is a older model, even a 755 would be better but I've had no complaints, I've upgraded the PSU & Graphics with no problem. I just need something need because the 745 uses an old socket type and is restricted to DDR2, aiming for DDR3 or 4.

O P E R A T I O N

O V E R D O S E

Creating a gaming system

Blue Rocks. Wilmington Blue Rocks.. Delaware. I guess  you're not the Phila side of DE.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Blue Rocks. Wilmington Blue Rocks.. Delaware. I guess  you're not the Phila side of DE.

Oh! Ya, I know where you're talking about it, didn't realize that's what you were refering to, lol. I live right out-side of Philly, around Prospect Park, Tinicum, Collingdale, Ridley, etc.. But Delco County, not Delaware.

O P E R A T I O N

O V E R D O S E

Creating a gaming system

Oh! Ya, I know where you're talking about it, didn't realize that's what you were refering to, lol. I live right out-side of Philly, around Prospect Park, Tinicum, Collingdale, Ridley, etc.. But Delco County, not Delaware.

Aha. I used to live just over the bridge in south Jerz. So not far away !

Feel sorry  for your 970, the FX-4300 will choke it to death

I would step up to an i5 4690k and a Z97 board if you want any chance of fully using your 970 SLI

Feel sorry  for your 970, the FX-4300 will choke it to death

I would step up to an i5 4690k and a Z97 board if you want any chance of fully using your 970 SLI

I'm planning on running AMD products, you think it'll bottle neck?

Do you think the AMD FX-8350 would be a better option?

O P E R A T I O N

O V E R D O S E

Creating a gaming system

Aha. I used to live just over the bridge in south Jerz. So not far away !

I drive past that bridge everyday on my way to Aston ;3

O P E R A T I O N

O V E R D O S E

Creating a gaming system

Yes.

The 8350 will still bottleneck it. I would strongly urge you to consider the i5 4690k or higher.

The 8350 might even bottleneck a single 970 in some games

The 8350 will still bottleneck it. I would strongly urge you to consider the i5 4690k or higher.

The 8350 might even bottleneck a single 970 in some games

What AMD processor would not bottleneck it? Not going to intel considering I'm going to be using a AMD motherboard.

O P E R A T I O N

O V E R D O S E

Creating a gaming system

What AMD processor would not bottleneck it? Not going to intel considering I'm going to be using a AMD motherboard.

Um... 8320 OCd to something like a 9590?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Um... 8320 OCd to something like a 9590?

Alright, looking into that now.

I see that you haven't purchased the AMD board yet.

Why not Intel?

Mainly because I like the design scheme and it's more cost effective, is there are any pluses to intel performance wise?

O P E R A T I O N

O V E R D O S E

Creating a gaming system

After doing a little bit of research I've decided that I'll be switching from an AMD Motherboard & Processor I will be switching to Intel, either and I5 or 7; those who supported the changing of my mind, credits will be in the post.

O P E R A T I O N

O V E R D O S E

Creating a gaming system