SSD

Nosfy

Hey dudes.

Probably a dumb question but here it goes. I have a spare SSD from a previous built that has windows 8 installed. I also have my current SSD with windows 8.1 installed.

I want to add my old SSD to my new build. Will I get "comparability" issues?

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

Hey dudes.

Probably a dumb question but here it goes. I have a spare SSD from a previous built that has windows 8 installed. I also have my current SSD with windows 8.1 installed.

I want to add my old SSD to my new build. Will I get "comparability" issues?

As long as you boot from the correct SSD no, and then after you format it, there should be no issues at all.

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

If you have a hard drive enclosure, you could format it with your system running to prevent any confusion other which SSD to boot from. Then just connect it in the new build. The format should have wiped the hard drive completely, so it would no longer attempt to boot using that drive.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Code of Conduct ■ Suggestions ■ Report a Bug ■ FAQ with Windspeed36 ■ Useful Links ■ Memes

Plug in the drive, enter the bios or boot menu and make sure to select the correct current SSD as boot and then once windows loads wipe the old drive or do what you will with it, that way you dont have to try and use an enclosure or plug it in with the rig running (as I have done a few times....).

CPU - i5 4670K || Motherboard - Asus Z87-C  || RAM - Crucial Ballistix Tactical Memory 8GB || GPU - ASUS GTX 970 Strix || Case - Corsair 330R || Storage - 1TB Seagate || PSU - Corsair CX750 || Displays - AOC 21.5 LED x2 || Cooling - Arctic F12 PWM (x2) Corsair 120+140mm || Keyboard - Corsair K70 MX Red || Mouse - Roccat Kova+ || Sound - Thermaltake TTe Shock Headset