SLI 760 Memory Question

I'm new here, and I'm also new to SLI.  I just purchased an EVGA GTX 760 4 GB card and plan to buy a second 760 to set up an SLI configuration.  I'm aware that the effective memory does not stack, thus my question:

Does the slave card also need to have 4 GB of memory?

I've read mixed things about this and I need a definitive answer.  Some people say if the slave is only 2 GB, the master card will limit itself to 2 GB to match the slave.  Others say don't bother buying a 4 GB slave card because the master will run with 4 GB regardless.

Will there be any performance difference between a 4 GB and a 2 GB slave card?  I'm also an engineer and use my computer for modeling and memory intensive tasks other than gaming.

Intel 4770K,  ASRock Extreme 6ac,  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 1600,  EVGA GTX 760 4GB,  Seasonic X-Series 750W,  Corsair Vengeance C70 Black

Can I mix and match graphics cards with different sizes of memory?

No. For example, an XXXGT 512MB cannot be paired with a XXXGT 1GB in an SLI configuration.

Source: http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/sli/faq#c7

There used to be software called coolbits that would trick the driver into seeing the cards as the same amount of memory (the lower of the 2), but I'm not sure if it exists / works anymore.

If you use 4gb and 2gb card in sli,both cards would run at 2gb vram.

YES! I think if you buy the 2GB one both cards will only effectively have 2GB. You wouldn't want to waste the first card by limiting it with a second card. 

Just buy the 4GB one. 

Edit: Yeah! Fellow Bungie fan!

Edited by ShadyHost

Ok, thanks for the quick response.

Source: http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/sli/faq#c7

There used to be software called coolbits that would trick the driver into seeing the cards as the same amount of memory (the lower of the 2), but I'm not sure if it exists / works anymore.

Looks like I'll spend the extra $40 and get a 4 GB slave card.  

Intel 4770K,  ASRock Extreme 6ac,  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 1600,  EVGA GTX 760 4GB,  Seasonic X-Series 750W,  Corsair Vengeance C70 Black