R9 295x2 is more powerful then a titian x, updated

We are talking about the ramifications in smaller builds. ITX and mATX especially. A GPU that draws more power need a bigger PSU, that can hamper air flow in case sizes that are already compromised. A GPU will also kick out more heat into the case, which increases overall system temps and might make your fans work harder, making more noise. 

OR you can have a GPU that draws less power, uses a more efficient cooler for a case like that, requires a smaller PSU and thus can let you get away with having a smaller case that needs less active cooling overall.

You have a good point. That still doesn't justify omitting the R295X2 in the video review, since the context was NOT small ITX builds. It was a general review.

BUT, when we're talking 4K I would not recommend the R295X2 at all. COD:AW & Star Citizen for example run really close to 4GB of VRAM use on my 4K setup. It that case, go for the Titan X if money is not an issue. Otherwise I would wait it out for prices to drop.

These are all points that SHOULD HAVE BEEN MENTIONED in the linustech review.

How is this tech news?

It's not, this should be in Graphics Cards.

That's no moon, that's a death ball !
K'Nex Server -- R9 290 Alpenföhn Peter Review -- Philips BDM4065UC Review
CPU Intel i5-4760K @ 4.3Ghz MEM 4x 4GB Cucial Ballistix 1600 LP MOBO Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU 980Ti G1 @ 1.47Ghz SSD 3x Samsung 840 EVO 240GB Raid0 CASE Silverstone SG10 DISPLAY Philips BDM4065UC 40" UHD

One thing that could be said is that 2 Titan X in SLI would probably beat 2 295X2 due to poor 3 and 4 way scaling. An argument that was made by an nvidia rep on the pcper stream, was that the performance of the Titan X was less than the 295X2, but the overall experience was better. After watching Jayztwocents review on it, it's an argument that could actually be valid.

looks good to me, oh wait you're a troll.

go troll somewhere else.

One thing that could be said is that 2 Titan X in SLI would probably beat 2 295X2 due to poor 3 and 4 way scaling. An argument that was made by an nvidia rep on the pcper stream, was that the performance of the Titan X was less than the 295X2, but the overall experience was better. After watching Jayztwocents review on it, it's an argument that could actually be valid.

it should have still been priced better especially with the lack of double precision and overall experience? 

The 295X2 might have better FPS but if you look at FCAT benchmarks you will see that the Titan X don't have any stuttering spikes like the 295X2. If you ask me I would take the Titan X over the 295X2 and all the reviewers that did FCAT agree too.

links to FCAT reviews: http://techreport.com/review/27969/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-graphics-card-reviewed

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-TITAN-X-12GB-GM200-Review

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforc

If I put two basketball teams on a court against a single team, who do you think would win?

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

Comparing a dual gpu with a single gpu card is usually considered a side-discussion about best single card, and tends to anger anyone excited about a single-gpu card. 295x2 vs TitanX is a bizarre reverse of when Nvidia launched the 690 to beat the 7970. The 7970 was a superior card in almost every way to the 680, but the 690 beat it. Anyone comparing it to a 7970 then was flamed to death by everyone and their mother, and the same reaction is happening now when someone compares the new single gpu card to the old dual gpu card.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

If I put two basketball teams on a court against a single team, who do you think would win?

The single team that is smart enough to get  friends ;).

In my case this means a R9 295x2 against my Titan X SLI ;). I am sure the R9 295x2 will be nothing but a victim for my team :D.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

The price of a 295x2 is 600-700. If you consider people who has psu lower than 1000w, they have to spend another 150-250 for a new psu. The difference of both for people who has to buy a new psu is not that much and if they're really smart, they would go for a single gpu card rather than a dual card.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

I really hate when people use the single vs dual gpu excuse. It's not valid in this case because both cards are not the same price. TRI 290X/970 equal one Titan X so it's a valid comparison

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

And in 4 months again they will release a ti version of the 980 which is cheaper and faster just to piss off everyone who paid too much money for the titan x like they did with the original titan.

The r295x2 represents much more value for money. Yes its got 2 dies on it but its still cheaper packing the same punch and fills a single slot in the system.

Im wondering if board partners will be able to use their own coolers this time?

So what is there to unlock on the 980 to make a 980ti? Oh that's right, there isn't anything to unlock because the 980 is already a full chip. So no there won't be a 980ti unless something else on the card changes like the amount of RAM, but the GPU will be the same, which means it won't be competing with the Titan X.

And on that note, in 4 months the R9 390x will be out, and that will be (allegedly) smoking the 980 and the Titan X.  I love how everyone here still wants to compare AMD's 2 year old technology to the Titan X and then bitches about the 295x2 being 2 GPU's.  THE DAMN GPU IS 2 YEARS OLD FFS!!!  

Everybody needs to just stop whining and arguing about a non issue right now.  Just wait a couple months for the 390x to come out, and then we can argue which current gen of technology is the best. K /thread.

PC: CPU - FX 8350 @4.5 Ghz | GPU - 3x R9 290 @1100 core/1300 memory | Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM - 16 GB Mushkin Redline 1866 Mhz | PSU - Corsair AX 860w | SSD - ADATA SX900 256 GB | HDD - Seagate 3TB 7200RPM | CPU Cooler - Noctua NH D-14 | Case - Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935

Peripherals: Monitor - ASUS VN248H-P IPS | Keyboard - Corsair K70 | Mouse - Corsair M65 | Headphones - ASUS ROG Orion Pro

erm, correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought titans were for rendering junk, not gaming really?

erm, correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought titans were for rendering junk, not gaming really?

The previous Titans had good double precision stats.  This one is strictly single precision as previously stated by many others in this thread.  

OP should update first post to state this so people can stop reposting this question.

PC: CPU - FX 8350 @4.5 Ghz | GPU - 3x R9 290 @1100 core/1300 memory | Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM - 16 GB Mushkin Redline 1866 Mhz | PSU - Corsair AX 860w | SSD - ADATA SX900 256 GB | HDD - Seagate 3TB 7200RPM | CPU Cooler - Noctua NH D-14 | Case - Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935

Peripherals: Monitor - ASUS VN248H-P IPS | Keyboard - Corsair K70 | Mouse - Corsair M65 | Headphones - ASUS ROG Orion Pro

i guess they should've benchmarked 295x2 and titan x in sli.. now that would be fun to see =)

perhaps some of you might already know the outcome

The previous Titans had good double precision stats.  This one is strictly single precision as previously stated by many others in this thread.  

OP should update first post to state this so people can stop reposting this question.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

I wish i was the first comment on this so i could tell you how fast and brutally you are about to be stomped by the entirety of the LTT community xD

Fortunately the point is moot because AMD's performance and AGGRESSIVE PRICING keep Nvidia in line. Unfortunately despite making the "often" not "always" better GPU's, Nvidia tends to be on the greedier and seedier side of the market. Hence the 970 and their complete lack of shits to give. When AMD intros a performer at an excellent price point Nvidia has to suck it up and price their shit with some reasoning behind it. A perfect example being the price drops on the 780 and 780ti when AMD launched the R9 290x.

Handing out TechRx's