Wide-Semi Wide Angle Lenses for Nikon

I currently own a Nikon D5200 APS-C (DX) DSLR camera, and I was wondering what the best Wide angle zoom/prime lens would be.  The lens would be used for: night photography/astrophotography, landscapes, cityscapes, video, and some wildlife.  Lens should be around $1000CAD, although I can go as high as $1500CAD.  I am also debating whether or not to upgrade to full frame (FX), or stick with the crop sensor (DX).  Any ideas or opinions are welcome. 

sold

The Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 is a good option of you are not particular about lens brand.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I currently own a Nikon D5200 APS-C (DX) DSLR camera, and I was wondering what the best Wide angle zoom/prime lens would be.  The lens would be used for: night photography/astrophotography, landscapes, cityscapes, video, and some wildlife.  Lens should be around $1000CAD, although I can go as high as $1500CAD.  I am also debating whether or not to upgrade to full frame (FX), or stick with the crop sensor (DX).  Any ideas or opinions are welcome. 

If you have the budget you could upgrade to a d610, d750 or d810, the FX cameras have DX mode so you can still use your crop lenses during your transition to full frame lenses!

(that is my opinion anyway)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Do you want just a wide angle lens, or more of an all around lens?

How wide would you want the wide to be? 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

There is the new sigma 18-35 which looks fairly nice.

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

If you have the budget you could upgrade to a d610, d750 or d810, the FX cameras have DX mode so you can still use your crop lenses during your transition to full frame lenses!

(that is my opinion anyway)

I can afford to upgrade to FX, and I was planning to, but with the new D7200, I am rethinking this plan.  Currently I have the kit lens (18-55 shit), 55-200mm zoom, and I am buying a Nikon 50mm lens.

Do you want just a wide angle lens, or more of an all around lens?

How wide would you want the wide to be? 

Going from Full frame from a crop sensor is difficult if you already have a lot of crop lenses. If this is the case, I'd just stick with a crop sensor since, full frames don't offer much unless you really want more from them. 

In terms of the lens you want, any lens that is from 10-70mm. 

This link might help...

http://www.cameralabs.com/lenses/lens_buyers_guide/Nikon_Nikkor_lenses/Which_wide-angle_lens/Which_Nikkor_Nikon_wide-angle_landscape_architecture_lens.shtml

I can afford to upgrade to FX, and I was planning to, but with the new D7200, I am rethinking this plan.  Currently I have the kit lens (18-55 shit), 55-200mm zoom, and I am buying a Nikon 50mm lens.

I would like a more multi-purpose wide angle lens, however I can always buy a more video specific lens if need be. 

I do a lot of travelling, so having a compact multi-purpose lens may be better, so I don't have to changing lenses.

sold

I would like a more multi-purpose wide angle lens, however I can always buy a more video specific lens if need be. 

I do a lot of travelling, so having a compact multi-purpose lens may be better, so I don't have to changing lenses.

Well the D7200 will be great, but now I have tasted full frame I find APSC hard to think about

If you want a good travel lens the Tamron PZD 18-270 is a pretty amazing travel zoom lens - though you will be sacrificing some sharpness, its image quality is decent though

If you want the ultimate APSC lens the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 is.. AMAZING, as are their art primes

If you want to do wildlife you want a dedicated telephoto like a 70-200 F4

For cities you want something nice and wide, like the tokina 11-16 f2.8 or a wide prime

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 (800 dollars). The 35mm equivalence on your Nikon would be 27mm to 52.5mm which isn't really that wide, but it's hard to get much wider than that on a cropped sensor.

It only works with cropped sensors by the way.

I had a chance to play around with it and it's fantastic. It feels so high quality and the pictures are amazing. All the reviews I have seen has given it top scores as well.

Going from Full frame from a crop sensor is difficult if you already have a lot of crop lenses. If this is the case, I'd just stick with a crop sensor since, full frames don't offer much unless you really want more from them. 

In terms of the lens you want, any lens that is from 10-70mm. 

This link might help...

http://www.cameralabs.com/lenses/lens_buyers_guide/Nikon_Nikkor_lenses/Which_wide-angle_lens/Which_Nikkor_Nikon_wide-angle_landscape_architecture_lens.shtml

although all of his non crop lenses would be 1.5 times wider

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi