Build: Storm Trooper (aka black and white project)

izayya

post-197775-0-18499400-1426646320_thumb.

Hello Everyone!

I have not done a build in a while (couple of years...), so I finally decided it was time to do another. This PC will be used for gaming/3D Rendering (heavy design work as well). I'm new to the forums/LinusTechTips but I already like it. I'm hoping this build will be a fun process not only for me but others viewing it. 

I'll let you in on the specs of my previous build.

Case: Thermaltake

Motherboard: AsusTek P7P55D-E LX (LGA1156)

CPU: Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.9GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3

GPU: GeForce GTX 550ti (Gigabyte)

HDD: WD 1TB

That was a good 4 years ago or so ago. I'm exited to get another build started. Here are the specs of what I'm calling the Storm Trooper build. My budget is around $5,000.00 USD. Nothing has been purchased yet but I plan on buying them in the next few days. I may hold on water-cooling it till I can watercolor everything. If you guys have any suggestions please let me know. 

Part Names are links to product.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo ATX Full Tower (Purchased)

Motherboard: Asus X99-Deluxe (Purchased) 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz (Purchased)

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 64GB (DDR4) (Purchased)

GPU: GeForce GTX Titan X (Purchased)

SSD: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 1TB, Intel 730 480GB Raid1 and 2TB HDD(back-up) (Purchased)

PSU: EVGA 220 (ATX12V 1200W Modular) (Purchased)

Watercooling: Pump, Tubing, Reservoir (waiting)

Peripherals: Don't Need

post-197775-0-18499400-1426646320_thumb.

why not 290x supposedly more powerful

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

why not 290x supposedly more powerful

Did you mean the 295x2? Where did you see that the 290x was better?

He said that he will be doing intensive rendering/design so the 12 gigs of vram in the titan X will be helpful. Even for gamaing, the benchmarks on the titan X show much more performance over the 290x... 

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

Very cool build!  are you planning any custom mods to make it pretty?  cable sleeves, paint, etc?

One suggestion, Intel is announcing some very interesting consumer/enthusiast SSDs on April 1st (better not be an april fools joke, doesnt seem like it since they teased it at PAX).

Two different PCIe SSDs will be announced.  

edit: http://www.intelgamingpromo.com/intel15b/ssd/notice

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

If you're doing professional work, a RAID 1 setup should be mandatory

Depends how critical it is and what kind of backup he does.  With regular backups, it's not always necessary.  I use my PC for professional work, and my primary drive is a piece of junk, but I keep my files backed up at all times.  And actually my most critical work is sync'd with a data center cloud storage service.  So even with a shitty drive, I've got myself protected for very cheap.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Did you mean the 295x2? Where did you see that the 290x was better?

He said that he will be doing intensive rendering/design so the 12 gigs of vram in the titan X will be helpful. Even for gamaing, the benchmarks on the titan X show much more performance over the 290x...

*390x just used to typing 290x

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Very cool build!  are you planning any custom mods to make it pretty?  cable sleeves, paint, etc?

One suggestion, Intel is announcing some very interesting consumer/enthusiast SSDs on April 1st (better not be an april fools joke, doesnt seem like it since they teased it at PAX).

Two different PCIe SSDs will be announced.  

edit: http://www.intelgamingpromo.com/intel15b/ssd/notice

Hmm I'll have to look into this. thanks for the tip. I don't know about mods yet. I'm going for a white and black look but we'll see what happens.

I figured you meant the 390x. I'd personal rather go with Nvidia, but i'm sure the 390x will be a great card too. 

If you're doing professional work, a RAID 1 setup should be mandatory

I thought about. I've never set up Raid before so it might be a good idea to try it now. Other then that I will just do regularly backups. 

OH haha that makes much more sense!

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

Okay, So I'm thinking intel 730 480GB SSD for booting raid1, SAMSUNG 850 1TB SSD for extra storage and a HDD for backup. Does that make sense? haha

I've been debating the same question.  I decided to wait for the intel announcement in April before I make a decision.  PCIe SSDs are a LOT faster.

PC Build

Desk Build

I've been debating the same question. I decided to wait for the intel announcement in April before I make a decision. PCIe SSDs are a LOT faster.

Yeah. I don't know if I want to wait ...Haha...but it sounds promising. I may order the other parts and hold on the storage for a bit till I come up with a final desicion.

Did you wait on the storage purchase? I'm super excited for these PCI SSDs... hopefully they have got a cheaper option (which should still crush sata3). Any thoughts on adding some white accents to the Titan X? and please tell me your gonna take the stickers of the RAM, lol?

Did you wait on the storage purchase? I'm super excited for these PCI SSDs... hopefully they have got a cheaper option (which should still crush sata3). Any thoughts on adding some white accents to the Titan X? and please tell me your gonna take the stickers of the RAM, lol?

Well I didn't...lol..but when Intel comes out with their product, I'll most likely get it at some point. I got some friends that could use some SSD's so i could always give it to them or just use it for extra storage or do something fun with it :P. Yes I already thought about taking the stickers off the RAM :P and that's a good idea about the Titan! might just have to do that. Thanks!

oh! the titan x is sold out :( Maybe I would go with the HOF SLI like i planned, but I wanted the Titan x.

Never mind ordered! :D

Hey everyone! so a quick update. Some parts came in today. I'll have some photos up later of the parts!

post-197775-0-66353100-1427134028_thumb.

post-197775-0-66353100-1427134028_thumb.