Tell me I didn't make a mistake...

KirbyTech

I just ordered a HTC One M8 I know it is a good phone but will it still be fine in 2 years? I am in a contract for 2 years and would hate to be like I am with my Z10. I hate this thing, very limited app support for smart watches. I had to buy out of my contract too since I had the last year of my 3 year contract. So opinions on if I made a mistake?

Should be fine....

Its a good phone but I personally don't like the camera and choice of materials but its a good phone.

I truly could care less about the camera, I have not used the camera on my Z10 in the 2 years I have owned it. As for materials, not my first pick but good enough for the price (only had to buy out of contract and got phone for $0)

I truly could care less about the camera, I have not used the camera on my Z10 in the 2 years I have owned it. As for materials, not my first pick but good enough for the price (only had to buy out of contract and got phone for $0)

I used to be in the same boat, but my god, I love the camera on my G3.  Not the greatest phone camera by any means, but it's a HUGE step up from my old phone. 

Just try not to expect too much of it later on down the line. I got my S4 2 years ago and loved it from day one. Sadly, after a year it felt really slow because I unreasonably expected it to be as fast as some of the newer phones. 

Desktop: The Bluez | CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.5 ghz 1.296V | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: P8Z77 M-Pro | Memory: 16 GB 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX  

GPU: Asus GTX 780ti DirectCu II | HDD: Some Random Hitachi 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, 850 EVO 500GB | PSU: Rosewill Hive 750W | Case: Enermax Ostrog GT (Blue Ver.) 

Laptop: Razer Blade 14 2013 256GB

If you could care less about the camera, then the M8 is a very good choice. 

Still perfectly happy with my Z30 though

"Rawr XD"

No mate, you didn't, I mean look at the latest M9 reports, massive overheating at 50 degrees Celsius from the CPU, so the M8 is still a great phone 

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

No mate, you didn't, I mean look at the latest M9 reports, massive overheating at 50 degrees Celsius from the CPU, so the M8 is still a great phone

So Snapdragon 810 does overheat? Looks like Samsung made the right decision then. This is surprising for the M9 though as its metal chassis should allow for better temperatures since it acts as a heatsink.

If you could care less about the camera, then the M8 is a very good choice. 

Still perfectly happy with my Z30 though

I would be fine if I had the Z30 because I could side load the apps I need. The Z10 can't run them due to hardware limitations. 

Just try not to expect too much of it later on down the line. I got my S4 2 years ago and loved it from day one. Sadly, after a year it felt really slow because I unreasonably expected it to be as fast as some of the newer phones. 

I don't really expect it to be top of the line no, but I am hoping it will be able to handle most apps in a semi fast manner. I mostly use the basics then some productivity apps so pretty light weight I think.

So Snapdragon 810 does overheat? Looks like Samsung made the right decision then. This is surprising for the M9 though as its metal chassis should allow for better temperatures since it acts as a heatsink.

Actually metal phones are worse when it comes to this problem as its thicker

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

I don't see why not. With the 805 being more of a companion to the 801 rather than a replacement and the only 810 phones released in the US being the G Flex 2 and the One M9, the 801 is still technically relevant.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

I don't see why not. With the 805 being more of a companion to the 801 rather than a replacement and the only 810 phones released in the US being the G Flex 2 and the One M9, the 801 is still technically relevant.

Today it is but my reason for questioning it is the M9 with the 810 is coming out the end of the month. So the M8 will be previous gen. And in 2 years it will be 3 gen behind and I am worried it won't hold up and be even relivent in the mid range.