Experts Wanted: Building the Ultimate trading PC!

Hi guys!  I’ve been following LinusTechTips on youtube for a while and finally decided to get involved with the community starting with some help with a computer build.  I looked at a few previous trading PC threads on the forum but since they are a little dated, I decided to get fresh advice.  Unfortunately, I’m not nearly as proficient in computer tech as I should be, so I’m hoping to learn a lot and get a few good suggestions. 

THE CHALLENGE

Build a dedicated high-performance Trading PC for around US $2500-$3k (wishful thinking estimate) on DigitalStormOnline.com (Direct links to Desktop Configurator or Workstation Configurator).   

As absurd as it sounds, gaining fractions of a second in load-time in any way possible is worth every penny, so if there is a super configuration floating around, PLEEEASE suggest it.   On that note, any suggestions, pointers, etc. would be much appreciated that can squeeze out as much speed or streamline the process would be much appreciated, so bonus points for anything that can enhance performance (i.e. RAM Disk, etc.) by aiding in faster chart loading and things like that.

To keep it interesting, here are a few limits on the build:

1. Ability to connect at least 3-4 monitors (will get the monitors to accommodate the GPU).
  2. No water cooling (except for closed looped CPU coolers).
  3. Low maintenance (well.. within reason)
  4. Low Energy Consumption (again… within reason)
  5. Low heat (yet again, within reason)
  6. Redundancy (in case one hard drive fails).

THE CRITERIA

I need this trading computer to run two programs (Direct links to system requirements for each program):

1. Trader Work Station (broker connection).
  2. eSignal (main trading platform).  SPECIAL NOTE: Triple the estimate for the definition of a "power user" for this build (i.e. 15 tick charts instead of 5, etc.)

I need the computer and subsequently the programs to be lightning quick with the ability to load the charts as quickly as possible.   Keep in mind that if a configuration increases this ability by fractions of a second, it will be well worth it.   It also occurs to me that the long loading times may be the result of the servers of these services.  Any suggestions, pointers, etc. on that would be really appreciated.

I’m not quite sure how to benchmark these programs, optimize my own PC to handle them but I’m betting there’s an obvious way to tell so please let me know.  

THE CURRENT PC's (and where they fail)

In case it helps, I have two computers running the same programs.   Maybe seeing their specs will raise a red flag or give the clever majority of you a good idea.

Trading PC 1: The “Hailstorm”

Motherboard: EVGA X58 3x SLI

Processor: Intel i7 930 2.8GHz (OC @ 3.5GHz)

Memory: 12GB  DDR3 1600MHz (Digital storm branded)

HD: Intel 180GB SSD

GPU: 2x SLI NVIDIA GTC 480 1.5GB

Power: 1000w Corsair

Cooling: Dual Loop Liquid Cooling, stock fans.

Where it fails: Using this PC for about 5 years now and its showing its age.  Had problems since the beginning with the water cooling system and it… gets… HOT.  Very hot.  The Intel SSD was installed a year ago as a “refresh,” buuuut still it’s a pretty old computer.

Trading PC 2: The “Slade”

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z87

Processor: Intel i74770k 3.5GHz (OC @ 4.1GHz)

16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro

HD:  Intel 180GB SSD

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTC 770 2GB (EVGA Superclocked ACX Cooler Edition)

Power: 750w EVGA SuperNOVA Gold Rated

Cooling: Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU cooling, Corsair Airflow Performance Edition fans.

Whereit fails: Newer PC (about a year old) used by my trading partner.  It works great, but I still think theres better performance to be had.

Whats a trading pc? And why are you giving away your i7 4770k?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

A trading PC is a system build specifically for the trading of stocks, equities, FOREX, or anything else that has to do with the financial markets.  Speed and reliability are essential and even fractions of a second in performance can be drastic.

post-197432-0-91176800-1426365119.jpg

post-197432-0-91176800-1426365119.jpg

I am really dumb, but what is a trading pc?

Same! What is it used for?

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

Unfortunately Im not able to give away the aforementioned computers.  I mentioned them because with the specifications listed, there might be an identifiable and actionable corrrection in hardware that I can fix.

I am really dumb, but what is a trading pc?

I'm assuming stock trading where they manage customer's investments. 

-SNIP-

As for the the PC's the second should seem more than enough to run multiple screens and a trading platform but the first one the issues I see the heat output by the two gtx 480's the processor is a bit older but shouldn't have an issue other than the fact that there is slowed speeds from the SSD due to sata II inferface.

I know you linked to Digital Storm, but have you looked into building it yourself?

EDIT: Can you check your partners PC while it is working? Is the processor maxed out? RAM? Disk? GPU?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Motherboard: ASRock X99 WS EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($270.13 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($98.98 @ OutletPC) 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 

Total: $2990.62

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-14 16:35 EDT-0400

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

I know you linked to Digital Storm, but have you looked into building it yourself?

Actually, I've really wanted to try my hand at it but for tax purposes it needs to be built and warrentied. After watching all of the build videos, I'm dying to take a crack at it.

Unfortunately, I'm extremely green when it comes to even remotely figuring any of that out even though I rely on that hardware almost completely lol.

Motherboard: ASRock X99 WS EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($270.13 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($98.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2990.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-14 16:35 EDT-0400

So if I understand correctly, you would suggest more of a workstation build with more processor cores, upper level motherboard? 

What about the memory?  Do you think that 16GB is enough.  Also, do you think the GPU is sufficient for the task?

Actually, I've really wanted to try my hand at it but for tax purposes it needs to be built and warrentied. After watching all of the build videos, I'm dying to take a crack at it.

Unfortunately, I'm extremely green when it comes to even remotely figuring any of that out even though I rely on that hardware almost completely lol.

To find out CPU and RAM usage, press ctrl + shift + esc and Task Manager should show up. When if pops up, look for the tab that says "Performance". In that tab it should tell you CPU and RAM usage.

If you can't find that information, then no worries, we can still work something out for you :)

EDIT: To find the information you could also look into "Resource Monitor". To access it press the Windows/flag key on your keyboard (between ctrl and alt), and type in Resource Monitor, then click the matching result. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

To find out CPU and RAM usage, press ctrl + shift + esc and Task Manager should show up. When if pops up, look for the tab that says "Performance". In that tab it should tell you CPU and RAM usage.

If you can't find that information, then no worries, we can still work something out for you :)

EDIT: To find the information you could also look into "Resource Monitor". To access it press the Windows/flag key on your keyboard (between ctrl and alt), and type in Resource Monitor, then click the matching result. 

The Hailstorm shows 4.33 GB memory and 5% CPU, the Slade shows 3.22 GB memory and 12% CPU.  Would something like CPU-Z would be more accurate to gauge something like this?

Forgot to mention that this is off trading hours, so I'm not getting the second-to-second data straming in and that might not reflect in those previously mentioned numbers.

The Hailstorm shows 4.33 GB memory and 5% CPU, the Slade shows 3.22 GB memory and 12% CPU.  Wouldt something like CPU-Z would be more accurate to guage something like this

Is this while you are running the trading software?

CPU-z is more about showing what hardware your computer has, not how much it is being used. 

15" MBP TB

Is this while you are running the trading software?

CPU-z is more about showing what hardware your computer has, not how much it is being used. 

Yes, the previously mentioned stats are while the software is running but not connected to the streaming data during trading hours.  In fact, the 12% on the slade was most likely from loading pre-exisitng data from custom scripts and charts.

So if I understand correctly, you would suggest more of a workstation build with more processor cores, upper level motherboard? 

What about the memory?  Do you think that 16GB is enough.  Also, do you think the GPU is sufficient for the task?

I think that I higher CPU is better for right now because you can easily upgrade RAM in the future.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

If I had to guess, I'd say as good of an internet connection as you can get would be great. It doesn't sound like anything is too PC-demanding, so I'd imagine you'd find more benefit from a fast connection, if you don't already one.

Does trading software require a lot of CPU? Looking at the specs of your older computer, you should be fine with, an i7 lots of fast ram and a GPU that can handle that many monitors...

I would also look into getting a Asus WS board for top notch reliability and an a few SSDs for your data. 

I think that I higher CPU is better for right now because you can easily upgrade RAM in the future.

I think thats defintely the best way to think about it.  Option wise, I see the following to consider:

Intel Core i7 4930K 3.4GHz (Six-Core) (OC @ 4.5-8 GHz)

Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 4960X 3.6GHz (Six-Core) (OC @ 4.5-8 GHz)

1x (Intel Xeon 8-Core E5-2650 v2 2.6GHz (20MB Cache) (Ivy Bridge-EP)

If I had to guess, I'd say as good of an internet connection as you can get would be great. It doesn't sound like anything is too PC-demanding, so I'd imagine you'd find more benefit from a fast connection, if you don't already one.

It's great you mentioned that, because (at least superficially) the difference in speed between the machines is drastically different.  On the same connection, the 5 year-old Hailstorm gets about 99 Mbs but the Slade gets 189 mbs.

I'm guessing you'll be wanting ECC RAM?

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Does trading software require a lot of CPU? Looking at the specs of your older computer, you should be fine with, an i7 lots of fast ram and a GPU that can handle that many monitors...

I would also look into getting a Asus WS board for top notch reliability and an a few SSDs for your data. 

It kinda seems that way to me that the software requires a lot of CPU.  For example, a chart would have about a dozen custom scripts running and theres about 40 charts running at any time.  Thats not including exchange data that runs in the background.  Im going to pay attention next trading day to see the usages are.  Defintely agree on an Asus board and the SSD's.

I think thats defintely the best way to think about it.  Option wise, I see the following to consider:

Intel Core i7 4930K 3.4GHz (Six-Core) (OC @ 4.5-8 GHz)

Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 4960X 3.6GHz (Six-Core) (OC @ 4.5-8 GHz)

1x (Intel Xeon 8-Core E5-2650 v2 2.6GHz (20MB Cache) (Ivy Bridge-EP)

You should get the 14 core, these are six cores, and you can get one for $400, the 5820K

I'm guessing you'll be wanting ECC RAM?

Thats an interesting aspect of memory that I never considered.  I did a little research on that and it seems like Standard, ECC, and REG ECC (give or take depending on the benchmark) are pretty much the same performance wise.   This info was just from a fast-read through of this article though, but defitnely worth more research.  Thanks for the tip!

I mean having CPU power and lots of RAM is definitely essential, but if you don't have a great connection, the difference may not be as great as you'd imagine. Again, I'm assuming those applications need to have updated data from the internet, which i think is a safe assumption. But if they don't, a more powerful PC will definitely help in a lot more ways.