Bob - The 3D design workstation pc

Serin

Budget - Ever expanding thanks to slightly mad customer commissions.

Aim - Workstation pc capable of quality animation and 3D rendering aimed at 3D printing technologies. Also some gaming but nothing particularly fancy. Hopefully be set for at least a few years.

Parts:
Corsair 780T,white, because my reverence for the 600t is palpable. Its also strangely reminiscent of Forerunner architecture from Halo. Already acquired

Intel 5930k - May be able to spring for the extreme but that depends on the aforementioned customer.

Asus X99 PRO usb3.1 refresh motherboard. Don't really need the deluxe as I'm only planning on the one GPU and the PRO's IO is more than enough. Though if someone can suggest a reason for the extra 100 bucks spent I'm all ears. I guess this is more aesthetic than anything else, I quite like the white and black.

Kingston hyperx fury 32gb ram 2666hz CL15. That or a 32gb g.skill kit. Though the Kingston is cheaper by a bit here in Aus. Could be convinced to drop down to lower speed ram, but admittedly I know very little about that area.

Intel 730 240gb boot and editing program drive. Already acquired.

WD black 2tb storage drive internal. Upgrade that as time passes. I await pricing on whatever Intel was showing off with their NVME drive thing.
Corsair HX850i PSU. Already acquired.

Fractal design Kelvin s36 AIO. Already acquired. Plan to expand this to support GPU with another rad in the front of the case if possible.
Fans, depending on the noise I might replace them all with either Noctua or the EK Vardar range. That requires experimentation.

Now... As to the GPU. Currently I've got a 290 Tri-x OC , only because it was cheap last year and my old 670 was dying a slow death. Its nice but it'd be better suited to helping to ignite fusion in an experimental reactor with its core temps.
I'm pretty seriously considering the new Titan X as a part of the major expense in the build. I do play the occasional bit of Star Trek Online and ARMA/DayZ. But again it is a workstation so my focus is on the cost vs performance factor. And so far the Titan X, or at least the rumours about it, seems pretty sweet. Might even be able to buy it with USD as opposed to AUD due to work... and thus avoid at least some of the fabled Australia-tax.

So, thoughts? Anything that might be changed to better the system or indeed make it cheaper.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Once you have bought stuff it is a bit late to ask for comments.

If you only plan on one gpu, I would suggest the i7-5820K. The performance difference hardly justifies the added cost of the i7-5930K since you will not be using the additional PCIe lanes.

Did you consider the Asus X99-A?

I personally prefer G.Skill memory, but Kingston is an excellent brand. Performance differences of different DDR4 memory speeds are, for the most part under 2%. Check out the benchmarks in http://www.anandtech.com/show/8959/ddr4-haswell-e-scaling-review-2133-to-3200-with-gskill-corsair-adata-and-crucial/4. Depending on pricing, you may want to look for a 2400MHz kit.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Consider the stuff already acquired interchangeable. Though I am rather set on the cooler. Quite fond of Scandinavian design.
Hmm, I'd considered the 5820k, but there seem to be a lot of reviews out there knocking it for being fairly ehh in terms of consistency. More research is required.

As to the x99-A, yeah, considered, thought it was too boring. The step up between it and the PRO is only 70 or so bucks so given my shallow preferences I think the PRO will do.

Hmm, ok, I was starting to get the impression that the ram speed was a bit of a non-issue anyway. I shall explore the options further.

Cheers!

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.