How does targeted advertising work? The internet seems to think I'm a girl.

Your search engine (probably Google because lets just be real here) uses algorithms to pick ads that it thinks will appeal to you based on the data it collects from the browsing on your ip. 

Maybe it's just by default (that the algorithms select those ads) since I don't really search for anything particularly gender specific. :0/

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Maybe it's just by default (that the algorithms select those ads) since I don't really search for anything particularly gender specific. :0/

Maybe it thinks the Titan X is for women?

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

Maybe it thinks the Titan X is for women?

No I think that's the Titan V ;0P

;0)

Just watch some bud spencer movies, it should be gone xD

lol  :D

I was thinking I maybe should log onto espn for a while.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

If the internet says you're a woman, then you are a woman. The internet is never wrong :).

If the internet says you're a woman, then you are a woman. The internet is never wrong :).

Ow well...in that case, I guess I better start the re-assignment process  :0/

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Currently getting L'Oreal ads.

Edit: Oops, sorry, I forgot this was here and not in Off-Topic

Mayber your GF/sister/mother have been using your PC?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

according to your browser you are clearly a grill stop hiding it.

according to your browser you are clearly a grill stop hiding it.

Grill-9.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Target advertising helps the seller (ie the one who pays big bucks to Google) to see which products are sold more often so that they can sell more of that stuff.

Now for you, the generic user it's useful because when you search for things you suddenly see recommendations from google based on your browser history. It's either via text or in videos. The moment you click on an add (relevant to you), the seller starts winning.

This is advertising like it or not.

What's not ok is that some corporations have gone way beyond this and include sublime messages in the adds just to induce that you need something, even though it is not related to anything you searched for.

Have you ever eaten at McDonalds and felt some bizarre need to go back and eat again? It's not because of their food but of a specific ingredient added that determines you to go back there and eat again.

It's much similar to this which is by no means healthy.