How does targeted advertising work? The internet seems to think I'm a girl.

Should the advertising be specific to me on my own computer, or does it also depend on who else is using the router?

Thanks, It's just I'm getting advertising targeted at women. Is there an easy answer as to why?

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

It's specific to your web browsing habits...

so you clearly made them think you're a women

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

It depended on:

- (sometimes) IP and what happens in your home network

- browser stuff like cookies and history

- Google stuff like what YouTube video you watch or what mails you get in your gmail.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

There are a number of variables involved. 

First, it would go through your IP, they can know who you are and what to show you from the traffic your IP usually has. Nevertheless, if you do keep cookies on your browsers, that data would override your IP's and show ads based on that.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Okay, in that case I don't know. I just got a suggestive advert for a bidet.

Edit: The thing is I don't really surf any female-specific sites?

I mean I'm on eBay, I come here and Youtube.  :0/

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

What's a suggestive ad for a bidet?

English is not my native language :P

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Are there other people on your network? No one said they were female specific sites, or required it. If you show interest in stuff that females also tend to show interest in, it'll assume you're female.

Seriously dude, you don't want to know.  :wacko:

I've probably already said too much.  X0D

And I'm concerned I might be conflicting with the CoC.

Edit: No but seriously, that was a joke but I really am getting these ads. The bidet one had a heart shaped from a bum and...and said something like it hearts you or some such thing.

Generally It doesn't really bother me, but that last one was just a bit...weird.

It's accurate for me. I turned off adblock the other day just to see and all the ads were "Do you want to find single women in your area?" and I thought "hell yes!" So I clicked every ad and installed all the programs they suggested. Still waiting on those single womens though.

Does it tie into social media, like meetup.com?

When I signed up for my gmail account I put that I was like 68, so I got tons of advertising for reverse mortgage scams and rightwing websites like newsmax. Changing the age in the profile to 32 ensures now I get lots of ads for things like Battlefield Hardline and such instead when I go to a site with banner ads.

When I signed up for my gmail account I put that I was like 68, so I got tons of advertising for reverse mortgage scams and rightwing websites like newsmax. Changing the age in the profile to 32 ensures now I get lots of ads for things like Battlefield Hardline and such instead when I go to a site with banner ads.

I guess it's not that big a deal. At least it's not going to be able to convince me to buy any of that stuff. :0/

Pay your isp to change your IP, but as I said it costs.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Pay your isp to change your IP, but as I said it costs.

I guess I could but to be honest I don't think it's really worth the hassle :0/

I just was kind of wondering how it all worked.  :wacko:

It's been that way for a while, I guess it was just that last ad. that motivated me to try and find out why.

Don't look at dildos on amazon and u wont get such advertisement

/j

#Adblock

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Don't look at dildos on amazon and u wonk get such advertisement

/j

#Adblock

I was concerned it might be all of the lesbian groups I'm a member of at meetup.com X0D  ;0P

English is my native language and I'm curious. Bidets aren't necessarily sex-specific either...

Adblock plus, my friend. No need to worry about ads again. Although, I do have exclusions set up for sites I want to support, like LTT.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

English is my native language and I'm curious. Bidets aren't necessarily sex-specific either...

I guess not.

Generally it's just a bunch of ad.s with dresses and shoes and makeup and stuff, maybe that's what predisposed me to thinking it was a sex-specific ad. I guess a bidet can love a man's bottom as well (or can love a man too, if you are one.).

Adblock plus, my friend. No need to worry about ads again. Although, I do have exclusions set up for sites I want to support, like LTT.

^ this sexy man knows :)

^ this sexy man knows :)

Well thanks you, beautiful ;)

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Your search engine (probably Google because lets just be real here) uses algorithms to pick ads that it thinks will appeal to you based on the data it collects from the browsing on your ip. 

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified