The SSD Endurance Experiment: Finally, They Are All Dead

BiG StroOnZ

840 EVOs are nothing but trouble, rave reviews out the gate, but a year down the road they've slowed down to less than mechanical speeds

Samsung's first fix takes care of 95% of that. I'm sure they'll get the last of it figured out. Also, you can just re-save old data and it'll be back up to speed.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Nice test, but how much do I use per day is my question :/

Does anybody know about an application that could monitor the data written to a specific dry from when I push the button on my pc to when I'm about to shut it down for the night ?

It really doesn't matter. A pettabyte is 1000tb, and 1,000,000gb. You can reinstall your os everyday for the next 39 years and be fine. And that is considering that everytime you reinstall you install all the apps you use such as browsers and clients and some games that total together to 70gb writes per day. That is only considering 1 petabyte write that most of the drives exceeded by far

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

So basically with normal use an SSD will outlast a HDD.

Yeah.

I've seen some enterprise HDDs rated for like more than half of PT per year workload, not sure when they'd die tho.

While SSDs can last long what this thread shows good, they "burn" faster (ofc have # of cycles they can write) cause they are faster so you can burn them way quicker than HDD if you'd want to. But still while endurance of SSDs gained significant boost over time it's not there yet where you could get one and set it to endurance test and that it could last like that for 10y. But yeah, I'm pretty sure couple of years they'll be over top grade HDDs in terms of endurance for like data centers.

One thing I always asked my self... how come SSDs can't be like RAM, meaning have unlimited # of reads/writes. When will we see those :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

One thing I always asked my self... how come SSDs can't be like RAM, meaning have unlimited # of reads/writes. When will we see those :)

Cause RAM is volatile?

No flash.

And everyone says newtron ssd's are bad

#CORSAIR

not Newton, Corsair in general.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Nice test, but how much do I use per day is my question :/

Does anybody know about an application that could monitor the data written to a specific dry from when I push the button on my pc to when I'm about to shut it down for the night ?

would like to know an answer to this myself .. tho .. i'll be checking with google soon if there's still no answer

CPU : i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Cooler : NH-D14 | GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 [OC] | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : A-DATA 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 XPG Black | SSD : 850Evo 250GB

Seems like I'll be replacing my 850 Pro due to speeds rather than hardware failure. 

Every topic I post in dies.

this eases my nervousness with my two kingston v300 120gb ssds , one with 3.5tb written on it , and the other tho older with only 2.8tb written to it 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

Seems like I'll be replacing my 850 Pro due to speeds rather than hardware failure. 

what speeds are you getting ?

would like to know an answer to this myself .. tho .. i'll be checking with google soon if there's still no answer

Plenty of options. I like the simplicity of SSD Life, though I'm sure eg. Crystaldiskinfo has more features.

It may fail due to other reasons since all hardware including HDDs fails eventually... But it probably won't fail due to you writing data to it; which is what so many people are irrationally afraid of when it comes to SSDs.

840 EVOs are nothing but trouble, rave reviews out the gate, but a year down the road they've slowed down to less than mechanical speeds

For some people, sure. I believe it was 25% of drives.

I've written 55TB to mine, and it reads at 525MB/s and writes at 328MB/s.

That said, I plan to retire it from my main rig and stick it in my game server soon.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

what speeds are you getting ?

Last time I checked I think it was around 550 - 575 MBPS. I'm more just referring to when SSDs get even faster.

Every topic I post in dies.

Nice post. This means the 850 Evo I got, might migrate in my next build in a couple of years.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

Last time I checked I think it was around 550 - 575 MBPS. I'm more just referring to when SSDs get even faster.

oh, my bad.

Well, I see m.2/mSata or PCIe slot SSDs as the future forward

Most SSDs have more or less achieved a saturation point on the SATA interface

I have more or less decided that my Win 10 OS drive be a PCIe slot based SSD.

850 Pro for now while I run Win 8.1

For some people, sure. I believe it was 25% of drives.

I've written 55TB to mine, and it reads at 525MB/s and writes at 328MB/s.

That said, I plan to retire it from my main rig and stick it in my game server soon.

Sounds like you haven't understood the issue, since you mention writes. How are you measuring the drive's speed?

Sounds like you haven't understood the issue, since you mention writes. How are you measuring the drive's speed?

Samsung Magician of course. And when I mention reads I may as well mention writes, as it measures both at once.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Samsung Magician of course. And when I mention reads I may as well mention writes, as it measures both at once.

Samsung Magician doesn't test in a way that will show the problem, even when it is affecting the drive.

Cause RAM is volatile?

No flash.

Ye, I kno', just, wondering when will we get storage like that. That powering it off keeps data, and power failures doesn't affect it.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Samsung Magician doesn't test in a way that will show the problem, even when it is affecting the drive.

Yes it does, when the drive slows down it won't magically show more speed than it can actually deliver.

Sure, the flaw may still be there, but if it doesn't result in a decrease in performance yet, it's irrelevant whether there is or not.

had a conversation with a friend of my dad 2 month ago and he basically said that write/read is limited therefore ssd can't really be used on actual desktop I answered that yes they are limited but the amount of write/read is huge and cannot be reach unless you make it by purpose. Now I have the number and HOLY SHIT 2.4PB IS HUGE 

Yes it does, when the drive slows down it won't magically show more speed than it can actually deliver.

Sure, the flaw may still be there, but if it doesn't result in a decrease in performance yet, it's irrelevant whether there is or not.

Most storage benchmarks, including Samsung Magician AFAIK, measure performance by writing and reading its own set of data to the drive. Which is generally the right way to do things, you can control whether the data is compressible or not, and so on.

But the 840 Evo issue only affects data that has been sitting on the SSD for at least a couple of months. Read speeds slow down for that data, but will recover if the data is rewritten elsewhere or if it's deleted and replaced by new data.

That's why it took a while for the issue to be discovered - first it took a few months for slowdowns to happen, then it took another several months for anyone to run non-standard benchmarks and notice something weird was going on that most benchmarks weren't seeing.

But the 840 Evo issue only affects data that has been sitting on the SSD for at least a couple of months.

I reinstall (after format) Windows every 3 months.