I7-4790k with Corsair H60 cooler running at 100c and thermal throttling.

Nitrodragon

My brothers new computer (pre built, i begged him not to but he did it anyways) has been getting massive fps drops while playing World of Warcraft. After a lot of diagnosis (including a cpu stress test that for some reason the temp stayed decent) I found that while actually playing his temps on all cores reach 99c and then thermal throttle down to 0.3Ghz. My question is this, what are the most likely causes for this and how should I fix this? All parts are under warranty so replacement parts are easy.

Is the block mounted correctly?

replace the thermal paste with some MX-4

use compressed air to clean dust out of the radiator and fan

remount the cooler with the new thermal paste (after cleaning the old paste off, of course)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

thermal paste?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

maybe the cooler is not properly installed. or you may want to put new thermal compount there!

Equality doesn't mean Justice.

Is the block mounted correctly?

I checked all connections and mounting when he got it and it all looked fine.

replace the thermal paste with some MX-4

use compressed air to clean dust out of the radiator and fan

remount the cooler with the new thermal paste (after cleaning the old paste off, of course)

Ok, I'll most likely go out and get some MX-4 tomorrow, might pick up a noctua fan to replace the one he has now as well. 

Ok, I'll most likely go out and get some MX-4 tomorrow, might pick up a noctua fan to replace the one he has now as well. 

yes good idea

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

My brothers new computer (pre built, i begged him not to but he did it anyways) has been getting massive fps drops while playing World of Warcraft. After a lot of diagnosis (including a cpu stress test that for some reason the temp stayed decent) I found that while actually playing his temps on all cores reach 99c and then thermal throttle down to 0.3Ghz. My question is this, what are the most likely causes for this and how should I fix this? All parts are under warranty so replacement parts are easy.

It's obviously because you mounted it wrong, remount it. screw it in a cross pattern and if you have to count how many times you turn the screw on each side.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

It's obviously because you mounted it wrong, remount it. screw it in a cross pattern and if you have to count how many times you turn the screw on each side.

I wasnt the one who mounted it but I'll be installing it correctly when i apply some MX-4.

I wasnt the one who mounted it but I'll be installing it correctly when i apply some MX-4.

NT-H1 > MX-4

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Make sure the pump is working properly too... like not intermittently shutting off or slowing down.

I just completely reinstalled the h60 with new thermal paste, I will update if the problem persists.

I just completely reinstalled the h60 with new thermal paste, I will update if the problem persists.

Same issue still happening.

Check the pump.

Just did, also the pump power was connected to the cpu fan header for some reason so i swapped it, maybe that was the issue? 

Found the issue, the H60 pump is not running correctly, its only running about 80-900rpm fluctuating constantly even with it set to full speed in bios. 

hook it to a fan header not the cpu fan header. it'll run at a constant speed.

i hate my h60. pump makes too much noise. low on coolant from the factory. not the best aio cooler out there.

check fan direction. you want the fan sucking/blowing out of the case not from outside in./  push/pull works good on it.

Found the issue, the H60 pump is not running correctly, its only running about 80-900rpm fluctuating constantly even with it set to full speed in bios. 

The pump should be at like 4000 rpm.

hook it to a fan header not the cpu fan header. it'll run at a constant speed.

i hate my h60. pump makes too much noise. low on coolant from the factory. not the best aio cooler out there.

check fan direction. you want the fan sucking/blowing out of the case not from outside in./  push/pull works good on it.

i did and it still fluctuates from 80rpm-900rpm i think the pump is just dead.

try a different fan header.

try an adapter to run it off one of the molex plugs coming off the power supply.

what power supply is it? and how much stuff is it running?

try a different fan header.

try an adapter to run it off one of the molex plugs coming off the power supply.

what power supply is it? and how much stuff is it running?

Tried different header same issue, don't have an adapter as far as i know and its a High Power 600w psu.

If I remember correctly, the pump should be plugged in to the 4-Pin CPU fan socket on the mobo.

Yeah, it is probably defective... get it replaced.

If I remember correctly, the pump should be plugged in to the 4-Pin CPU fan socket on the mobo.

Yeah, it is probably defective... get it replaced.

that's what they might say............ been there. doesn't cool properly. might be okay for a heat sink and fan combo but not these aio coolers. the pump needs to run constant and faster.

You should check to see if the pump is being turned down by software.  If you have a program for fan control, try it...

If you don't just grab Speedfan.