Hey guys, I've just gotten a very old custom build desktop from my dad which no longer works anymore, and I am wondering is there is anyway I can convert a SCSI HDD to a SATA or IDE interface? I've been looking around, but I just cannot find anything. I want to get all the data off them, but because they are SCSI (80 pin I think, never worked with SCSI before) I cannot use them unless I can find an adapter of some sort.

This has been annoying me for months now because the desktop has just been sitting in my loft for the past 2 years, and the time has come where I wanna do something about it. It does have this weird adapter with them, and some sort of PCI adapter but I just don't know how to use them. The desktop itself is busted. the PSU is blown and I fear the motherboard is the same. 

I REALLY hope you guys can give me any type of suggestion to how I can get these HDDs up and running again just so I can get some data recovery on those bad boys. 

Many thanks

- PlymouthJoseph   

My current Set-Up: (Now in RGB)

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 | CPU cooler: EVGA CLC 280 | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Classified @ 2050MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 | RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2 | Boot SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB on a SilverStone SST-ECM20 | Game Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB | Main Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM | Back-up Storage: 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 5900RPM in software RAID-1 | Recording Drive: Samsung SpinPoint 160GB 5400RPM | Case: NZXT S340 Elite Black/Red | OS: Windows 10 Professional | Keyboard: Cyborg V.7 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + HP Compaq LA1951g | Speakers: Sony PCVA-SP2 (Which sound FANTASTIC) | Headset: HyperX Cloud II

I'm sorry, but I think you may be mistaken. That adapter is for SAS drives, and not SCSI.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 | CPU cooler: EVGA CLC 280 | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Classified @ 2050MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 | RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2 | Boot SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB on a SilverStone SST-ECM20 | Game Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB | Main Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM | Back-up Storage: 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 5900RPM in software RAID-1 | Recording Drive: Samsung SpinPoint 160GB 5400RPM | Case: NZXT S340 Elite Black/Red | OS: Windows 10 Professional | Keyboard: Cyborg V.7 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + HP Compaq LA1951g | Speakers: Sony PCVA-SP2 (Which sound FANTASTIC) | Headset: HyperX Cloud II

Hey guys, I've just gotten a very old custom build desktop from my dad which no longer works anymore, and I am wondering is there is anyway I can convert a SCSI HDD to a SATA or IDE interface? I've been looking around, but I just cannot find anything. I want to get all the data off them, but because they are SCSI (80 pin I think, never worked with SCSI before) I cannot use them unless I can find an adapter of some sort.

This has been annoying me for months now because the desktop has just been sitting in my loft for the past 2 years, and the time has come where I wanna do something about it. It does have this weird adapter with them, and some sort of PCI adapter but I just don't know how to use them. The desktop itself is busted. the PSU is blown and I fear the motherboard is the same. 

I REALLY hope you guys can give me any type of suggestion to how I can get these HDDs up and running again just so I can get some data recovery on those bad boys. 

Many thanks

- PlymouthJoseph   

Hey PlymouthJoseph, 

As Arc_Jester mentioned, you would need an adapter like SCSI to SATA or SCSI to USB. Do have in mind that since those are old drives, if you plan on using them after you get your data, I would strongly suggest that you first run a diagnostic tool on them and see their health status. You wouldn't want to trust your data to an old drive that could have errors or bad health. What brand and models are the drive. I would love to see some photos of them. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

I'm sorry, but I think you may be mistaken. That adapter is for SAS drives, and not SCSI.

My bad, I forgot you were looking for SCSI. A SCSI to USB adapter would be the best choice however I can't find any in stock anywhere, perhaps you could find one on ebay.

They're a Seagate Cheetah 15K.4 and a Seagate 10K.7.

Model number being ST373207LC for the 10K and ST3146854LC for the 15K

They are about twice the weight of a 7200RPM HDD and the 15K gets VERY hot... It needs constant airflow going past it if you're gonna use it more than 10 minutes

post-166226-0-34364100-1426252770_thumb.

Spoiler

can you show the connector?

post-166226-0-94013400-1426256256_thumb.

Spoiler

Hope this helps

Spoiler

:o

Daym... Couldn't I buy the adapters separate?

Spoiler

:o

Daym... Couldn't I buy the adapters separate?

I'm not sure, even if you did buy the adapters separately the main one with the usb attached is still  $140+

wow

just wow...

I don't have that kinda money available... :(

Spoiler

Is the data really important? The money you will probably spend getting a couple of GB of data off those drives you could buy an SSD with triple the storage.

That's the thing... I have no clue what's on them...

When ever I try and use them in my dads desktop, I need another drive (I'm using IDE) because with the PCI card in, it doesn't allow me to boot into the boot menu or the BIOS, because it keeps trying to boot into the adapters SCSI BIOS... And when it come into that, it says they is no drives attached... But they are and I can hear them spinning up and everything... Even if I unplug the adapter, boot into the IDE drive, then plug it back in... It still doesn't let me find them...

I just really want to get the data off them so I can either use them again or sell them on Ebay or something. Apparently they go about £100 each... This is what I have heard from a mate though and I haven't actually checked for myself. 

Spoiler

There is no way you would get anywhere near £100 for these drives, you can buy the 10K.7 drive new on amazon for almost half that: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST373207LC-Cheetah-10K-7-Ultra320/dp/B003FG6IV6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426299318&sr=1-1&keywords=ST373207LC

-Edit- Cheak ebay these drives are actually dirt cheap: http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/scsi-hard-drive

When ever I try and use them in my dads desktop, I need another drive (I'm using IDE) because with the PCI card in, it doesn't allow me to boot into the boot menu or the BIOS, because it keeps trying to boot into the adapters SCSI BIOS... And when it come into that, it says they is no drives attached... But they are and I can hear them spinning up and everything... Even if I unplug the adapter, boot into the IDE drive, then plug it back in... It still doesn't let me find them...

I just really want to get the data off them so I can either use them again or sell them on Ebay or something. Apparently they go about £100 each... This is what I have heard from a mate though and I haven't actually checked for myself. 

Those are old, beat up, drives that the average user will not be able to use. No way you are getting that much for them. 

IMO, you should give up on getting anything off of them and sell them to a dinosaur with a just as old PC. This way you get them off your hands and also make a profit.

Those drives are a relic from a past era and unless they have sentimental value get rid of them, they are useless in a modern day PC. You can get alot better for less cash these days.

Fair enough. I am thinking about taking them into my college and see if I could use their resources to see whats on them, but I don't know if they'll let me do that...

Spoiler

I've just got my new PSU back for my old gaming tower which I now use as a media server and for testing components, and even in there... It cannot find the SCSI HDDs... Any idea what it could be? 

All I know is it could be the PCI adapter, the adapter which connects to the back of the SCSI, or even the cables... I know for a fact the SCSI's are fine because they worked before and I could even boot into them... I just don't know what could of gone wrong... And if they carry on, I'm even thinking about donating them to my college, if won't spare a adapter.

Spoiler

I've just got my new PSU back for my old gaming tower which I now use as a media server and for testing components, and even in there... It cannot find the SCSI HDDs... Any idea what it could be? 

All I know is it could be the PCI adapter, the adapter which connects to the back of the SCSI, or even the cables... I know for a fact the SCSI's are fine because they worked before and I could even boot into them... I just don't know what could of gone wrong... And if they carry on, I'm even thinking about donating them to my college, if won't spare a adapter.

You could try to get another PCI adapter and see if thats the problem. I personally wouldn't put anymore time or money into them and just donate or sell them.

you could try a new scsi to pci adapter if you really want data off of them, old raid cards from servers would proably do the trick for you, they can be had for about £15 for some though i think there is cheaper ones.