$800 Speakers vs $800 Open-back headphones

Profoundsoup

In terms of pure sound quality, $800 headphones would most likely be the better choice. That kind of money gets you a decent pair of speakers, but a great set of headphones.

I was thinking the same thing.  You can get some seriously awesome headphones for that much money (some of the lower end Stax stuff, HiFiMan planars, and some Audeze products if you don't mind buying used). 

However, I'd say go for a pair of headphones in the ~$100-$200 range and spend the rest on a speaker system.  The law of diminishing returns really does kick in pretty hard past that point, and there are some AMAZING headphones in that price range these days.  Plus, that'll leave you about 6 or 7 hundred to spend on speakers, which will also take you pretty far. 

Agreed, with an $800 budget there is no way I would limit myself to one or the other.  MUCH better value in buying a great pair of headphones and spending the rest on a good pair of speakers.  Having the best of both worlds.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

In terms of pure sound quality, $800 headphones would most likely be the better choice. That kind of money gets you a decent pair of speakers, but a great set of headphones.

This kind of thinking is insane. You could build a decent entry level gaming computer with this kind of money. Speakers are just wooden boxes with some magnets and coiled wire thrown inside.

If you can't find "great" speakers for 800 bucks, your expectations are too high, and probably unrealistic.

Yeah I agree with ShearMe on this. That may be true at a different budget like around $100 but at $800 you can definitely get great speakers although it would probably be smarter to spend half the budget on speakers and half on headphones.

This kind of thinking is insane. You could build a decent entry level gaming computer with this kind of money. 

If you can't find "great" speakers for 800 bucks, your expectations are too high, and probably unrealistic.

I know I had to go up to 2000€ before I found a pair of speakers that met my demands. And I stand by what I said. If I had a budget of $800 and the only criteria was sound quality, I wouldn't even consider getting speakers instead of headphones.

Speakers are just wooden boxes with some magnets and coiled wire thrown inside.

:rolleyes:

I know I had to go up to 2000€ before I found a pair of speakers that met my demands. And I stand by what I said. If I had a budget of $800 and the only criteria was sound quality, I wouldn't even consider getting speakers instead of headphones.

You got ripped off.

Headphones, by far.  Especially with positional audio, like in most FPS, or the creme de la creme, positional audio combined with head tracking.  Speakers, no matter how good, fail at immersion (and of course isolation, which is part of it).

Actually you are incorrect. Speakers has much better sound stage and positioning as speakers (if located correctly) sound is derived from individual speakers (surround sound) unlike headphone which generally have two speakers simulate surround sound which is not accurate.

Also note headphone will never give you the sound to body impact that speakers give you.

CD Transport: Oppo 105 > RCA: Morrow MA1 / HDMI > Processor: Primare SP33 > RCA: Morrow MA1 > Amplifier: Elektra Theatron 7 > Speaker Cables: Neotech > Speakers: Monitor Audio RS8

Actually you are incorrect. Speakers has much better sound stage and positioning as speakers (if located correctly) sound is derived from individual speakers (surround sound) unlike headphone which generally have two speakers simulate surround sound which is not accurate.

Never heard a binaural recording, apparently.

Did you try enough cheaper speakers to be making argument this statistically valid, or like, a handful? 

Out of complete curiosity, what is your current setup?

Maybe $500 speakers set, the rest $300 goes to amps, AVR, cables (just decent ones), and proper/good acoustic treatment of the room. It will sound good. 

Perhaps the most expensive is the space/land it needs....

Also note headphone will never give you the sound to body impact that speakers give you.

Be sure you understand that the context I said that in was specifically for *gaming*, and I'm assuming positional like FPS, etc. 

When it comes to true surround sound, for watching movies, I much prefer a dedicated source, decoder (receiver), amp(s), and at minimum five speakers designed for the task, PLUS at least one good subwoofer.  We aren't talking $800 any more though...  we are talking probably at least $2000, not counting the stands, wiring, or the most expensive part, a properly treated ROOM.

You NEVER hear just speakers.  You always hear a room... with speakers, furniture, flooring, wall coverings, windows, etc. and you, in it.  That's a lot of variables to control.  Headphones on the other hand are about as a contained, controlled, near field listening experience you can get.  And when it comes to really good headphones, and the right source?  No "simulated surround" is necessary ;)

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

Be sure you understand that the context I said that in was specifically for *gaming*, and I'm assuming positional like FPS, etc. 

When it comes to true surround sound, for watching movies, I much prefer a dedicated source, decoder (receiver), amp(s), and at minimum five speakers designed for the task, PLUS at least one good subwoofer.  We aren't talking $800 any more though...  we are talking probably at least $2000, not counting the stands, wiring, or the most expensive part, a properly treated ROOM.

You NEVER hear just speakers.  You always hear a room... with speakers, furniture, flooring, wall coverings, windows, etc. and you, in it.  That's a lot of variables to control.  Headphones on the other hand are about as a contained, controlled, near field listening experience you can get.  And when it comes to really good headphones, and the right source?  No "simulated surround" is necessary ;)

A pair of bookshelf units properly angled will give you a better soundstage than any headphone (in a not-complete-crap-room), but that's not what genkifd was arguing for.

A pair of bookshelf units properly angled will give you a better soundstage than any headphone (in a not-complete-crap-room), but that's not what genkifd was arguing for.

That's very arguable.  I will say that the drawback to such a setup is that the pair of bookshelf speakers do not move with your head.  The distance and orientation of your ears to said speakers would dictate that to get the utmost fidelity you must put your head in an exact "sweet spot" and never move it.  MUCH easier to strap those speakers to your head.  I think I'll invent that.  I'll call them "head speakers".  ;)

Honestly I'm considering existing and future technologies, especially when it comes to gaming.  Specifically I'm talking about current technology like TrackIR and soon to be turning the gaming world upside down, augmented and virtual reality hardware like Oculus Rift, Valve's Vive, Microsoft's "Hololens", etc.   Holding your head still, staring at an unmoving screen, is going the way of the dinosaurs, probably later this year.  Transducers that move with your head (i.e. headphones) will be a big part of developing that truly immersive end-user experience.

That's very arguable.  I will say that the drawback to such a setup is that the pair of bookshelf speakers do not move with your head.  The distance and orientation of your ears to said speakers would dictate that to get the utmost fidelity you must put your head in an exact "sweet spot" and never move it.  MUCH easier to strap those speakers to your head.  I think I'll invent that.  I'll call them "head speakers".   ;)

Mine are sweet in all the spots.

Honestly I'm considering existing and future technologies, especially when it comes to gaming.  Specifically I'm talking about current technology like TrackIR and soon to be turning the gaming world upside down, augmented and virtual reality hardware like Oculus Rift, Valve's Vive, Microsoft's "Hololens", etc.   Holding your head still, staring at an unmoving screen, is going the way of the dinosaurs, probably later this year.  Transducers that move with your head (i.e. headphones) will be a big part of developing that truly immersive end-user experience.

Why wear headphones when you can simply invent a way fro track IR to change the sound of your speakers as you turn your head?  :rolleyes:

Mine are sweet in all the spots.

Why wear headphones when you can simply invent a way fro track IR to change the sound of your speakers as you turn your head?  :rolleyes:

That's simple!  I bet you already came up with the answer, didn't you...

The speakers DON'T move!  Your head DOES!  Positional audio, that moves as you do, including your head, is awesome.  But to make the best of it requires headphones that can move *as your head does*.  In a VR situation (even TrackIR, which has been around for years), headphones mean that 1) the sound changes as your head movement in game does, 2) because you are wearing headphones your ears are playing a part in the immersion.  Compare that to a stereo pair of speakers.  As you turn your head, yes, ideally the sound you would be hearing in game changes balance from right to left, etc. but because one ear is facing the pair of speakers in bias over the other one the immersion is distorted and thus incomplete.   :) 

I do a lot of race sims, flight sims and hardcore military sims, all of which offer freedom of head movement (as opposed to turning your whole body).  As VR becomes a more essential part of such things and what you hear based on how your head is turned becomes a greater part of the "simulation", headphones will continue to be even more superior to a fixed pair of speakers... or even a "surround" set of speakers properly positioned (most don't bother) around you.  Your ear will always hear best what is coming from a speaker directly in line with it.  Headphones = ears are always pointed at the speaker.

Did you try enough cheaper speakers to be making argument this statistically valid, or like, a handful? 

Out of complete curiosity, what is your current setup?

I tested about 10 different speakers in the price range 1500-3000€ when I was buying my music system a few years ago. In the end I chose the ProAc Response D1's. Before that I had a 6.1 home theater system with the Tannoy Fusion F1's, which were about 100€ each.

My current system is:

Speakers: ProAc Response D1

CD: Naim CD5i-2

Amp: Naim Nait5i-2

Headphone amp: Naim Headline2 with Naim NAPSC PSU

Headphones: Sennheiser HD800 + HD650 with Cardas cable

Vinyl: Pro-Ject RPM5.1 with Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge + Pro-Ject Speedbox II

RIAA: Clearaudio Nano

For computer use I've got:

Speakers: Genelec 8020B

DAC: Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus

Headphone: Sennheiser HD598

if u can make noise where you live go for speakers if not go for 500$ headphones and 300$ headphones amp or what ever the cost @Profoundsoup

When i'm not playing PC games i'm playing with my PC parts  Fans,Pumps,Filters,  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: