Mechanical keyboard birthday gift advice

Eyal
Go to solution Solved by TheProfosist,

I thought WASD make only keycaps...

That's nice to get a custom board..

You think I should get him blue with O rings? Or it's a bad idea (I have blue. But never had o rings, because I like clicky keyboards)

WASD started out with keycaps, then added keyboads for his keycaps to be on. But from what I can tell hes out of the V1 boards currently and likely not to get anymore in as the V2 is on the way. Sadly there is no word on the V2 yet.

He uses speakers all the time... But I don't know if he will mind...

I like to have the clicky sound... And I use speakers all the time

Then, it is likely noise is not a problem in his environment (not that blues are even that loud). I fully understand why you and many other (including me) like to have the clicky sound. What I was trying to say was that if he uses speakers its likely the added noise of the keyboard wont make a difference or at least have a negative impact.

My cousin will have his 19th birthday next month and I really want to buy him an awesome mechanical keyboard, he never used a mechanical keyboard before. I'm not sure what switches to buy... I can't ask him, because I want it to be a surprise. (I like blue, my brother likes green and my GF will use only red switches)... What kind of switch should I look for? I don't know his keyboard preferences... I really want to get for him the keyboard he'd like... And we can't ask to replace them if he won't like them because in my area, no store has a mechanical keyboard... So I'll be buying it online (and shipping will probably be over $50) so it won't be realistic to ask for a refund and ship it back...

Brown switches are generally the best switch to start off with. They have a membrane keyboard feel but without the mushiness.

Well there are literally so many different options that you can go for. I guess reds and blacks are kind of closer to membranes so it would be easier to adapt to them I recon but I would just go all out and get him a keyboard with blues.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

just to be safe you should go for browns. If you go for blues chances are he is annoyed by the clicking, especially if he is not much of a keyboard nerd like most people in the peripherals area.

What key layout does he use? I am not sure how that works in Israel, so make sure you get one with a familiar layout.

As far as brands go, have a look at cmstorm, ducky and filco, and just so he feels comfortable using the kb get a full sized one, a tenkeyless is very impractical for many people.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

You could type around him with a Blue switch keyboard and see how he reacts to the clicking noise to gauge his level of annoyance by it. If he is indeed annoyed by it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

just to be safe you should go for browns. If you go for blues chances are he is annoyed by the clicking, especially if he is not much of a keyboard nerd like most people in the peripherals area.

What key layout does he use? I am not sure how that works in Israel, so make sure you get one with a familiar layout.

As far as brands go, have a look at cmstorm, ducky and filco, and just so he feels comfortable using the kb get a full sized one, a tenkeyless is very impractical for many people.

The layout wouldn't matter for him because he doesn't need to look at the keyboard to type in Hebrew, only in English. So buying an English only keyboard wouldn't bother him... And the location of the keys is the same as in the US, but with a larger enter key... I don't think it will be a big deal... And yes, I saw him using the numberpad a lot, so I'll get him a full size keyboard...

You could type around him with a Blue switch keyboard and see how he reacts to the clicking noise to gauge his level of annoyance by it. If he is indeed annoyed by it.

(I have the quickfire stealth) and sadly he didn't get to try them... Because we live far away and he doesn't have a car... So we meet at his place

i would lean towards browns as well, i just got the G710+ and love it :)

Browns are a safe bet. People generally have nothing bad to say about browns, so I don't imagine your cousin having any complaints either.

Whereas Blues are not for everyone because of their loud clicky sound and Reds can feel too "mushy" to some or the Black to be too "heavy".

If you get the 710+ make sure to tell him to remove the o-rings ;)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

I'm currently looking at the Zowie Gear CELERITAS Cherry MX Brown. It looks nice.. Any opinions?

k70 has amazing quality, great performance and stunning looks but it might be out if b-day gift price range

My system: i7 2600k @3.4ghz - Corsair h110 - ASRock z77 extreme4 - 2x EVGA GTX 770ti SLI - 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz  - 120gb Crucial m4 SSD - 1tb Caviar Black WD HDD - Silverstone ATX12V 1000W 80+ Gold PFC Power Supply - NZXT Phantom 820.

Peripherals: Corsair M95 - Corsair K70 - Razer Vespula - TrackIR 5 - 2x Asus VK278Q 27" 1080p 

Browns are a safe bet. People generally have nothing bad to say about browns, so I don't imagine your cousin having any complaints either.

Whereas Blues are not for everyone because of their loud clicky sound and Reds can feel too "mushy" to some or the Black to be too "heavy".

Just want to say I dont like browns and know others that dont also. The tactile bump isnt enough and is just scratchy, its too much of a compromise.

I try to tell people who are getting into mechanical keyboards for the first time dont sweat the switch too much its still a drastic improvement over rubber domes. This is why most gaming companies initially just picked one switch and went with it. Also without using all the varying switches yourself and going through your normal daily routine youll never know which one is the one for you. This doesnt mean you cant get a head start on what youll like but unless youve used a mechanical board before read or watching wont really help. Another thing to remember is there are people out there who dont like mechanical keybioards for one reason or another.

Anything in the Black, Brown, or Red region should be just fine and safe. The other thing is unless you know he would like something flashy get something simple, much less chance he'll hate it then. Also since itll cost you so much to get it I would take a look at WASD keyboards and possibly get it personalized in some way via the custom keycaps, you can also pick the switch and if you think hed like it quieter throw on some orings.

Just want to say I dont like browns and know others that dont also. The tactile bump isnt enough and is just scratchy, its too much of a compromise.

I try to tell people who are getting into mechanical keyboards for the first time dont sweat the switch too much its still a drastic improvement over rubber domes. This is why most gaming companies initially just picked one switch and went with it. Also without using all the varying switches yourself and going through your normal daily routine youll never know which one is the one for you. This doesnt mean you cant get a head start on what youll like but unless youve used a mechanical board before read or watching wont really help. Another thing to remember is there are people out there who dont like mechanical keybioards for one reason or another.

Anything in the Black, Brown, or Red region should be just fine and safe. The other thing is unless you know he would like something flashy get something simple, much less chance he'll hate it then. Also since itll cost you so much to get it I would take a look at WASD keyboards and possibly get it personalized in some way via the custom keycaps, you can also pick the switch and if you think hed like it quieter throw on some orings.

The "scratchy" reports of Brown switch has been said to possibly be just a bad batch of MX switches. People have reported having "scratchy" Red switches as well, so it's not just a problem with the Browns.

Even if it isn't just a bad switch, there are only a small % of people who claim that Browns feel "scratchy" or feel that the tactile bump isn't enough (and I highly doubt Eyal's cousin will be one of these people)

And the nice thing about Browns is the tactile feedback, so Eyal's cousin has a better idea of why a mech kb is an upgrade from his current rubber dome kb. Even if the tactile bump isn't enough for him to feel it, I doubt he will complain that it's not linear, he probably won't even notice. Whereas something like Reds can be harder to explain why it's an upgrade from his current kb, because he can't feel anything other than it being lighter.

Just saying, I know that not everyone likes Browns.. but I'm pretty sure most people won't have any complaints.

So I still feel that Browns are the safest MX switch, especially when coming from a rubber dome kb, but yea I agree that Blacks and Reds should be just fine too.

But I disagree about the "dont sweat the switch too much", yea sure mech switches are supposed to be more durable than rubber domes, but it's all about the typing experience,

how the key switch feels to him/her, and what the individual person likes. It's all personal preference, like I actually prefer a rubber dome over MX Blues.

It's important to get the correct switch type, or else the person won't even enjoy or want to type on the kb.

I'll agree with everyone here and suggest MX Browns as a great starting point. Maybe take them keyboard shopping, or have them try one of yours, and make comments like, "man, those look too light for you..", etc. just to see what their feedback is and buy based off of that. :)

I'll agree with everyone here and suggest MX Browns as a great starting point. Maybe take them keyboard shopping, or have them try one of yours, and make comments like, "man, those look too light for you..", etc. just to see what their feedback is and buy based off of that. :)

Taking him for a keyboard shopping is a problem. Also ask him for feedback about my keyboards... Because it's a surprise...

And I'll have to order the keyboard online, because the only store that has mechanical keyboards in my area has 3 keyboards to select... So I'll order the keyboard online...

And I agree, red will not be as significant upgrade from his old keyboard... And the bump on brown switch feels like a compromise from the blue (in my opinion) so, I don't know what to think anymore... Maybe I should get him blue...

The "scratchy" reports of Brown switch has been said to possibly be just a bad batch of MX switches. People have reported having "scratchy" Red switches as well, so it's not just a problem with the Browns.

Even if it isn't just a bad switch, there are only a small % of people who claim that Browns feel "scratchy" or feel that the tactile bump isn't enough (and I highly doubt Eyal's cousin will be one of these people)

And the nice thing about Browns is the tactile feedback, so Eyal's cousin has a better idea of why a mech kb is an upgrade from his current rubber dome kb. Even if the tactile bump isn't enough for him to feel it, I doubt he will complain that it's not linear, he probably won't even notice. Whereas something like Reds can be harder to explain why it's an upgrade from his current kb, because he can't feel anything other than it being lighter.

Just saying, I know that not everyone likes Browns.. but I'm pretty sure most people won't have any complaints.

So I still feel that Browns are the safest MX switch, especially when coming from a rubber dome kb, but yea I agree that Blacks and Reds should be just fine too.

But I disagree about the "dont sweat the switch too much", yea sure mech switches are supposed to be more durable than rubber domes, but it's all about the typing experience,

how the key switch feels to him/her, and what the individual person likes. It's all personal preference, like I actually prefer a rubber dome over MX Blues.

It's important to get the correct switch type, or else the person won't even enjoy or want to type on the kb.

Keycaps are a good idea... On the WASD keys space bar...maybe some cross pattern like slick's old ducky... Or his name with different keycaps color...

the scratchyness isnt a problem its an observed thing for those of us who think brown is a total compromise on the tactile front. Use clears for a while and you may understand what im taking about, especially at speed the browns feel just like a red. And yes I have had scratchy red switches is a much different feeling. From my experiences I only encountered it on new switches, which leads me to believe that the switch just isnt broken in. Now a new buyer shouldnt really be concerned about either of these things because the first one is all preference and the second one wears in with time or st least it has for me.

I think Blacks are still a better option than reds. I understand people are used to bottoming out but why would they want an easier job of doing it? As for perception of why its and upgrade, anyone that cares what their typing with/on should immediately notice the difference. The experience is quite unique. 

"Just saying, I know that not everyone likes Browns.. but I'm pretty sure most people won't have any complaints." Thought I would point out that you just used the same argument that I was using earlier. The only 2 that I can see is Clears being too heavy or the click of Blue, Green, or White being too load or annoying. The click thing is fairly easy to determine beforehand.

I would still herald Black as the safest Cherry MX switch as its the original and best embodies the nature of the mechanism. The "dont sweat the switch too much" only applies to a first personally inexperienced mechanical keyboard purchase. As in if you cant try any before buying or are buying one for someone else who is in the same boat. A mechanical keyboard is not desirable just because of the durability even for industry there are more benefits that that. I also agree that its all about the typing experience but there no way to determine which one is your switch (in most cases) just by reading, watching or viewing. You need personal experience with the switches, the more extended your time with each of them the the better. <-- This is why I say "dont sweat the switch too much" to people picking up their first board. Theres no good reason to sit here and think about it for days at that point, other people can only tell you so much. Your hands and fingers will be the judge. I have seen many times over people were convinced that a certain switch (may it be Cherry MX or not) was going to be their perfect end-all be-all of the keyboard switch world and they ended up hating it, even after a good week of time with them sometimes. The good thing about mechanical keyboards its they mostly hold their value (some models better than others) and selling them off and only loosing the cost of shipping to you isnt uncommon (especially when bought used). Also with todays pricing on boards like the QFR, Rosewill, and Monoprice, that cost at times less than 1/3 of top of the line models, trying a new switch doesnt cost a fortune and compared to many other parts in your PC is a small fraction of the cost.

Keycaps are a good idea... On the WASD keys space bar...maybe some cross pattern like slick's old ducky... Or his name with different keycaps color...

You can get a whole keyboard from WASD. His keyboards are very good quality and are made by Costar, the same company that makes Filco, and has the same OEM design as the Mionix and the TE Esports Meka G1 minus the usb hub, audio pass through, and media keys. If you want a fully custom board or just custom caps  i would start here http://goo.gl/Ar1bf . So umm looks like hes out of stock of the V1's, my bad on that. I know the V2 should be here soon so maybe he is holding out?

the scratchyness isnt a problem its an observed thing for those of us who think brown is a total compromise on the tactile front. Use clears for a while and you may understand what im taking about, especially at speed the browns feel just like a red. And yes I have had scratchy red switches is a much different feeling. From my experiences I only encountered it on new switches, which leads me to believe that the switch just isnt broken in. Now a new buyer shouldnt really be concerned about either of these things because the first one is all preference and the second one wears in with time or st least it has for me.

I think Blacks are still a better option than reds. I understand people are used to bottoming out but why would they want an easier job of doing it? As for perception of why its and upgrade, anyone that cares what their typing with/on should immediately notice the difference. The experience is quite unique. 

"Just saying, I know that not everyone likes Browns.. but I'm pretty sure most people won't have any complaints." Thought I would point out that you just used the same argument that I was using earlier. The only 2 that I can see is Clears being too heavy or the click of Blue, Green, or White being too load or annoying. The click thing is fairly easy to determine beforehand.

I would still herald Black as the safest Cherry MX switch as its the original and best embodies the nature of the mechanism. The "dont sweat the switch too much" only applies to a first personally inexperienced mechanical keyboard purchase. As in if you cant try any before buying or are buying one for someone else who is in the same boat. A mechanical keyboard is not desirable just because of the durability even for industry there are more benefits that that. I also agree that its all about the typing experience but there no way to determine which one is your switch (in most cases) just by reading, watching or viewing. You need personal experience with the switches, the more extended your time with each of them the the better. <-- This is why I say "dont sweat the switch too much" to people picking up their first board. Theres no good reason to sit here and think about it for days at that point, other people can only tell you so much. Your hands and fingers will be the judge. I have seen many times over people were convinced that a certain switch (may it be Cherry MX or not) was going to be their perfect end-all be-all of the keyboard switch world and they ended up hating it, even after a good week of time with them sometimes. The good thing about mechanical keyboards its they mostly hold their value (some models better than others) and selling them off and only loosing the cost of shipping to you isnt uncommon (especially when bought used). Also with todays pricing on boards like the QFR, Rosewill, and Monoprice, that cost at times less than 1/3 of top of the line models, trying a new switch doesnt cost a fortune and compared to many other parts in your PC is a small fraction of the cost.

So there is no way to know what switch is the best... I understand. What I'm saying is, if blue are safe bet... Of I should give him something more quite... Like the brown that (for me) feels like a compromise. Or red or black that are linear, some people like linear... (I never tried white switches, so I have no idea what they feel like)... Right now I'm mostly thinking about brown vs blue...

So there is no way to know what switch is the best... I understand. What I'm saying is, if blue are safe bet... Of I should give him something more quite... Like the brown that (for me) feels like a compromise. Or red or black that are linear, some people like linear... (I never tried white switches, so I have no idea what they feel like)... Right now I'm mostly thinking about brown vs blue...

If you know that the additional noise of a blue switch would not be bothersome to his surroundings then I wouldnt hesitate to get a blue switch keyboard as I know many people who prefer them mostly because it gives the the best feeling of "im typing on a mechanical keyboard" if you know what I mean. As a gauge for the bothersomeness ask those around you about how they feel about your keyboard, possibly hint toward the noise. Or maybe bring up listening music to him is he always has to use headphones due to speakers at any listenable level being too loud for his environment blues would no be a good choice.

You can get a whole keyboard from WASD. His keyboards are very good quality and are made by Costar, the same company that makes Filco, and has the same OEM design as the Mionix and the TE Esports Meka G1 minus the usb hub, audio pass through, and media keys. If you want a fully custom board or just custom caps  i would start here http://goo.gl/Ar1bf . So umm looks like hes out of stock of the V1's, my bad on that. I know the V2 should be here soon so maybe he is holding out?

You think I should get him blue with O rings? Or it's a bad idea (I have blue. But never had o rings, because I like clicky keyboards)

If you know that the additional noise of a blue switch would not be bothersome to his surroundings then I wouldnt hesitate to get a blue switch keyboard as I know many people who prefer them mostly because it gives the the best feeling of "im typing on a mechanical keyboard" if you know what I mean. As a gauge for the bothersomeness ask those around you about how they feel about your keyboard, possibly hint toward the noise. Or maybe bring up listening music to him is he always has to use headphones due to speakers at any listenable level being too loud for his environment blues would no be a good choice.

I'm really thinking about blue with O rings (although I never had o rings) so he can choose clicky or non clicky... Maybe his taste will change overtime... But I have no idea how they affect the feel of the switch... And what o ring should be good

WASD started out with keycaps, then added keyboads for his keycaps to be on. But from what I can tell hes out of the V1 boards currently and likely not to get anymore in as the V2 is on the way. Sadly there is no word on the V2 yet.

Then, it is likely noise is not a problem in his environment (not that blues are even that loud). I fully understand why you and many other (including me) like to have the clicky sound. What I was trying to say was that if he uses speakers its likely the added noise of the keyboard wont make a difference or at least have a negative impact.

I'm really thinking about blue with O rings (although I never had o rings) so he can choose clicky or non clicky... Maybe his taste will change overtime... But I have no idea how they affect the feel of the switch... And what o ring should be good

oring wouldnt cause the blue not to click just when it would bottom out it would be quieter. Try pushing your blue switch only part way down youll hear a light plasticy click thats actually the only sound the switch it self makes. The rest of the sound comes from Bottoming Out which is when the inside of the top of the keycap hits the top of the switch housing (the black box around the stem). Due to this most people do not like orings on a blue switch keyboard as it makes them much less clicky clacky.