DaKi_B

I was bored and decided to run a benchmark on my SSD and got these results:

Test on Samsung Magician (I ran it 3 times got very similar results):

7284e49906.png

Test on ATTO (ran it a 3 times got weird results):

dad6c055ad.png

08502e5145.png

70dac26fd5.png

Anyone have any idea why this is happening I'm flabbergasted.

You have rapid mode on, I suggest disabling it because it does not actually help your real world speed and it increases writes I think?

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Your using Samsung's Rapid mode which used your system memory as a cache which is much faster than the SSD read/write speeds.

Your using Samsung's Rapid mode which used your system memory as a cache which is much faster than the SSD read/write speeds.

Is that bad? Should I turn Rapid mode off?

You have rapid mode on, I suggest disabling it because it does not actually help your real world speed and it increases writes I think?

But not faster random read or write.

There is something wrpong

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

*Looks at SeanBond's member title*

You seem to have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

How can you be sure that you're giving the correct info? :P JK

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Is that bad? Should I turn Rapid mode off?

It doesn't make a huge difference in 95% of cases where you won't even notice a difference or it may hurt performance in some situations, the only thing with Samsung's Rapid mode is if your running on a PC without a battery backup be weary since if you have a power failure and you are writing crucial data to the drive with rapid mode enabled it can corrupt that data.

It doesn't make a huge difference in 95% of cases where you won't even notice a difference or it may hurt performance in some situations, the only thing with Samsung's Rapid mode is if your running on a PC without a battery backup be weary since if you have a power failure and you are writing crucial data to the drive with rapid mode enabled it can corrupt that data.

In what situations could it hurt performance? And I am still unsure if I should keep it on or not, power failures are insanely rare and I mostly game so there isn't much very important data I would lose if there was a power failure.

In what situations could it hurt performance? And I am still unsure if I should keep it on or not, power failures are insanely rare and I mostly game so there isn't much very important data I would lose if there was a power failure.

It tends to slightly slow down things like load times during windows boot, games, by marginal amounts but as @SeanBond said Rapid mode helps with write speeds and read times also but the difference that you will see in everyday use is basically not noticeable. I keep it on on my laptop since there is redundancy with the battery since I don't want to lose data, but I don't see a difference in any way really, just keep an eye on your RAM since it can use up a fairly large amount of your RAM as a cache.

If you want to know more here is a good article:

http://techreport.com/review/25282/a-closer-look-at-rapid-dram-caching-on-the-samsung-840-evo-ssd

RAPID mode strikes again.

ssd-samung.jpg

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Just so everyone knows RAM caching is already a thing in base Windows. It just never works as well. Ever wonder about this in task manager?

post-165866-0-48758400-1425931611.jpg

7284e49906.png

dad6c055ad.png

08502e5145.png

70dac26fd5.png

Hey DaKi_B,

As the guys suggested, this is probably caused by enabled RAPID mode and RAM caching. If you want accurate results, you should go to Samsung Magician and disable RAPID, restart your system and test again. 

RAPID does affect real world speeds and bring a good speed boost (if the basic SSD speed is not enough). It, however, wears out the SSD faster compared to when it is not enabled. Also with RAPID enabled, it is known by many people that there is some chance of data corruption even though it is designed not to add any risk to it. I would consider if the extra speed boost is needed or not and then either leave it on or off. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/