Ultraportable Gaming Laptop Suggestions

kayodoc

Hey LTT Peeps,

I'm in the market for an ultraportable and am looking for one with a dedicated GPU, low weight, and good battery life. Any suggestions?

Don't tell me to build a desktop. Been there, done that. I need portability so I can game on the go, write reports in the research lab, take notes in lecture halls, etc. Anything from 13 to 17 inches is fine.

I've done a fair bit of research so far but am curious to see what LTT recommends... Maybe I've missed a gem of a laptop out there. Thanks in advance!

HP Omen

acer aspire nitro

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

HP Omen

acer aspire nitro

I second the HP Omen, it'll be a real sleek laptop during lecture, as well as provide the punch you need when gaming.

gonna list what | can, since you listed no budget

HP Omen

Acer Nitro

Aorus X3, X3 plus, x5, x7 (i want an x3+ myself)

Alienware 13, 15

Gigabyte p35x, p34, p37

razer blade

clevo w230st (and some other clevo models)

MSI GS60 Ghost, GS30, GS70

Asus ROG G501JW 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Thanks guys! I'll take a look at all the laptops you all have suggested. I looked into the external GPU solutions but wasn't impressed with the actual laptop portion of the combo (the alienware 13 looks enticing as a standalone though). I've been saving pennies for quite some time so I think something around $2000 before taxes is fine since I tend to keep laptops for at least 5 years.

Kinda all over the map here, but I've grown a liking to the beauty that is the new XPS 13 announced just over a month ago. I know it doesn't have a dedicated GPU, but those bezels (or lack thereof) are winning me over. I know...I know....

XPS 13
Razer Blade 2015 1080p model

Is there a middle-ground to this madness? I've had the chance to play around with both of these and the build quality is something I greatly desire. Only thing I foresee in the near future would be the new rMBP (to be updated during the summer) and the Asus ROG G501 that's supposed to release sometime this month.

Alright, well I've settled on the Razer Blade 2015 1080p model ($2000). Anyone know when Razer has sales/discount codes? I applied for their student discount program and they sent me a 5% off Razer systems coupon code...which doesn't apply to the 1080p blade -____- 

I feel like they have the student discount program for the sake of saying that they have a student discount program. Their "deals" on the 2014 blade and refurbished blades are a joke as well.

Razer Blade or HP Omen

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home