Intel Xeon vs i7

Again.. I do not want the DDR3 platform. I know the DDR3 platform is the better choice, but honestly.. Im looking more into the 2011-v3.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

Just to get this completely out of the way, can anyone tell me.. When the Xeon is on turbo mode, does this means ALL of its CPUs run at 3.2Ghz, if not which ones and how much?

It depends on many factors which is why the are designed for SERVERS not gaming rigs

https://communities.intel.com/mobile/mobile-access.jspa#jive-content?content=%2Fapi%2Fcore%2Fv3%2Fcontents%2F21897

Again.. I do not want the DDR3 platform. I know the DDR3 platform is the better choice, but honestly.. Im looking more into the 2011-v3.

Then I would honestly wait for Skylake to debut late summer them as it's a whole new aecherituee with DDR4 and 100 series chipsets with PCI E express 4.0.

DDR4 has absolutely no tangible real world improvements beyond some synthetic benchmarks

There is really no reason why power should be a thing in your choice. 80W on a computer is maybe 2$ a year difference, 4 if you live in a place where its extra costy.

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

DDR3 vs DDR4 makes literally no difference at all. Ignore it.

The ability to use up to 768 GB of RAM will be largely determined by what motherboard you're using, and whether or not you're using LRDIMMS, LDIMMS, or UDIMMS. This is a spec that has huge implications in the professional server market, but literally no difference to any normal consumer use.

Even if you have no intentions of overclocking, the Xeon's clockspeed is so much lower than anything else that performance will be diminished.

Edit: The Xeon E3s are sometimes regarded as being roughly similar to cheap quadcore i7s. The E5s, however, are more catered to the professional market with more specific uses.

For something as common as "gaming" and "possible video editing down the line", an i7-5820K, midrange X99 board, and ~8-16 GB of RAM is more than good enough. Frankly, an i7-4790K, midrange Z97 (or H97) board, and 8 GB of RAM will perform pretty much the same at a substantially lower cost.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

There is really no reason why power should be a thing in your choice. 80W on a computer is maybe 2$ a year difference, 4 if you live in a place where its extra costy.

I agree, but funny that it's used all the time to bag on AMD GPUs though.

I watch alot of Linus videos and have seen the Xeon vs I7 before, I were just trying to figure out, if I were to get the Xeon 100€ cheaper than the I7, if the performance drop was worth it.

From what I've understood from you guys, the I7 is worth those 100€ extra in this case (Usually they are priced the same).

Also Im not being ''cheap'' on what I want, but I dont want to pay a premium, when I can get the proper hardware for cheaper, and I want DDR4, not DDR3, due to the fact, that the price difference right now, in my region is way too low, to make do the DDR3, CPU price is 50$ more for the DDR4 ones, so that makes no sense at all.

Yes I know CPU is not everything, but when the difference is that small, why not get the DDR4 instead.

Just to get this completely out of the way, can anyone tell me.. When the Xeon is on turbo mode, does this means ALL of its CPUs run at 3.2Ghz, if not which ones and how much?

The E5-2620v3's all cores turbo is 2.6 GHz according to that graphic I got from Intel and posted earlier in this thread, while the all cores turbo on the i7-5820k is 3.6 GHz according to Intel's turbo boost table.

I think the worst is when people are comparing very high end stuff. Like hey I dont want a 295X2 or 2 R290 instead of a 980 cause it consumes too much power.

You spend 700$ (CND) on a GPU and youre worried about your electric bill? (And min 1.5K to not bottleneck that GPU) 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

Don't you mean CPU's? Because their FX CPU's consume a shitload more than Intel's equivalents. The curse of long pipelines and all that (think Pentium 4).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Because GPU's run shit tons hotter then cpus

Don't you mean CPU's? Because their FX CPU's consume a shitload more than Intel's equivalents. The curse of long pipelines and all that (think Pentium 4).

It seems like people bag more on AMD CPUs because the performance is so weak (again like Pentium 4  :lol: ). The 9590 I guess is a special case since it's so ridiculously power hungry, but I don't see people complaining much about 8350 for using 40W more than an i5. They complain more about minimum framerates and bottlenecking high-end video cards. But with GPUs AMD makes some amazing stuff that lots of people seem to hate mostly because of the power consumption.

But with GPUs AMD makes some amazing stuff that lots of people seem to hate mostly because of the power consumption.

Well that and shit drivers...

It seems like people bag more on AMD CPUs because the performance is so weak (again like Pentium 4  :lol: ). The 9590 I guess is a special case since it's so ridiculously power hungry, but I don't see people complaining much about 8350 for using 40W more than an i5. They complain more about minimum framerates and bottlenecking high-end video cards. But with GPUs AMD makes some amazing stuff that lots of people seem to hate mostly because of the power consumption.

To me, an FX CPU is pretty much AMD's more modern equivalent of a Pentium 4. They are slow compared to other CPU's, like a Pentium 4, they have a long pipeline like a Penium 4 (which is why the P4 and FX CPU's clock so high for little performance gain), and they are as inefficient and run as hot as a Pentium 4. 

PMSL

To me, an FX CPU is pretty much AMD's more modern equivalent of a Pentium 4. They are slow compared to other CPU's, like a Pentium 4, they have a long pipeline like a Penium 4 (which is why the P4 and FX CPU's clock so high for little performance gain), and they are as inefficient and run as hot as a Pentium 4.

I think you mean Prescott. Northwood and willemette cores ran cool

Yeah, it's pretty funny to see them going for clockspeed strictly after their Athlon XP CPUs were marketed in terms of equivalent P4 clockspeed instead of what they actually ran at. But for the FX / Pentium 4 analogy to be complete the FX-8350 would have to cost $70 more than the i5-4690k. 

I think you mean Prescott. Northwood and willemette cores ran cool

I suppose they did in a way, after my old laptop (Northwood P4 3.2GHz @ 3.9GHz) was sustaining a high overclock with temps below 70oc. I actually got lucky with it as the 120W power brick was actually overkill in the first place and gave me some headroom.

PMSL

That's ridiculous. In the last 20 years games have gone from wanting about 8MB to wanting about 8GB.

The most a game will use it 640K

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

The most a game will use it 640K

^base RAM on a couple of my motherboards (before SDRAM is installed).

PMSL

Yeah, it's pretty funny to see them going for clockspeed strictly after their Athlon XP CPUs were marketed in terms of equivalent P4 clockspeed instead of what they actually ran at. But for the FX / Pentium 4 analogy to be complete the FX-8350 would have to cost $70 more than the i5-4690k. 

Well think of it this way....for all the shit the FX cpus get, how many people recommend them / come here with a new build with one. 

For the general consumer (which lets be honest, makes up the majority of PC users) bigger numbers = better. So an 8 core cpu at 5ghz much be almost twice as good as a 4 core cpu at 3.1ghz. 

I would be really curious to know how AMD's cpu sales would be if they were basically offering a Haswell i5 (i.e. if the FX8 cpu was actually a 4 core cpu with similar clock speeds/IPC as Intel). I think I'd actually expect their sales to go down a bit seeing as a lot more people recognize Intel than AMD, but then they see AMD's cpu is twice as good on paper (assuming frequency/cores = performance) and opt for AMD. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.