Intel Xeon vs i7

Hello guys,

So I've been looking at the Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3 vs the Intel I7 5820k, the reason why I am asking what you guys think is that both of these have their own benefits to being the better CPU, but I can't tell which one will be better overall, as they are VERY close to each, however I might be able to get the Xeon CPU quiet abit cheaper than the I7.

General use:

- Gaming

- Possible Video Editing down the line

- Multitasks (running Java Clients in the background, while doing high performance gaming, and tons of other applications)

One of the greater benefits that I see from the Xeon point of view;

- 40 PCIE lanes (i7 has 28)

- 768 GB DDR4 supported (i7 has 64GB)

- 85 W TDP (i7 has 140 W)

Overall I understand that the Xeon has a ''worse'' performance when it comes to the Gaming point of view, however the Xeon has the turbo mode which means its only 0.4 Ghz lower, however the I7 has the ability to be overclocked, but in the stance of being capable of maybe buying the Xeon 100€ cheaper than the I7 5820k, which would YOU choose?

Overall, which one do you think is better?

Referrence Link : http://ark.intel.com/compare/83352,82932

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

Do you plan on using four-way SLI for some stupid reason? Do you actually need more than 64gb of RAM? 

What's the price difference between the two? (including the mobo+ram as well)

Overrall, the 5820k will be better since you can overclock it and since it's clocked much higher to begin with. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I'm not into mad OCing, I mostly do pro apps and play Arma nowadays, so I'd get the Xeon honestly.  I just don't care about OCing anymore, if the i5 768 can get good enough performance in games, I figure anything better from Intel will be just fine.

Personally, I don't think you should decide your purchase based upon

I mean.. maybe you should though lolz.

I would go for the i7 since I don't like how the xeons have a lower clock even with low threads

Its the Xeon Phi, those are over 1,000 ghz clocked in Intel Ark :P

Groomlake Authority

i'd go for the 5820k. do you really need them 40 lanes?

and plus its clocked higher at stock compared to the xeon.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Honestly, from a gaming perspective, they are about equivalent. Unless you will use 4 way SLI you will not need more than 28 PCIe lanes. Both processors easily have enough power to handle even the most demanding games (most games are heavily graphics bound, not CPU bound). More than 32GB of ram will not affect gaming in any way and will have almost no effect on rendering. 

So basically, just go with the cheaper option or the i7 if you plan on rendering.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

The deal is, that I may be capable of purchasing the Xeon processor for 100€ cheaper than the I7 5820k, and thats why I am confused. I am not stating that 768GB is a ''lets buy this product'' sales point, but its just a ''it has moar'' factor.

Im looking at the point, where is it worth spending the extra bucks for the I7 5820k, IF I can get the Xeon cheaper?

They use the same hardware, so its down to CPU cost, nothing else.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

You don't need a Xeon. It's not worth it, it has 768GB of ram because it's for servers. You will never need more than 64GB of ram for any sort of editing. You don't need more than 28 lanes either.

NO NO NO

HE EXPLAINS THE BENIFITS lol this is perfect for this topic xD

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

You don't need a Xeon. It's not worth it, it has 768GB of ram because it's for servers. You will never need more than 64GB of ram for any sort of editing. You don't need more than 28 lanes either.

You dont understand my point of view.. Im stating IS the Xeon equal to the I7 5820k? Are the differences so small, that the price difference would suggest that if I can get the Xeon for cheaper, mean that the Xeon would be the better choice?

Hello guys,

So I've been looking at the Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3 vs the Intel I7 5820k, the reason why I am asking what you guys think is that both of these have their own benefits to being the better CPU, but I can't tell which one will be better overall, as they are VERY close to each, however I might be able to get the Xeon CPU quiet abit cheaper than the I7.

General use:

- Gaming

- Possible Video Editing down the line

- Multitasks (running Java Clients in the background, while doing high performance gaming, and tons of other applications)

One of the greater benefits that I see from the Xeon point of view;

- 40 PCIE lanes (i7 has 28)

- 85 W TDP (i7 has 140 W)

Overall I understand that the Xeon has a ''worse'' performance when it comes to the Gaming point of view, however the Xeon has the turbo mode which means its only 0.4 Ghz lower, however the I7 has the ability to be overclocked, but in the stance of being capable of maybe buying the Xeon 100€ cheaper than the I7 5820k, which would YOU choose?

Overall, which one do you think is better?

Referrence Link : http://ark.intel.com/compare/83352,82932

The all cores turbo on that Xeon looks to be 2.6GHz, so the i7-5820k will smash it in gaming, especially once you overclock it.

Xeon_E5-2600v3_CPU_Frequency_Speeds_AVX_

The i7-5820k is a much better desktop CPU since they're both hexacores with 15MB L3 cache, but the 5820k has a much better clockspeed even at stock. By the time gaming systems need more than 64GB of RAM either CPU will be a dinosaur. The 5820k is 100€ better for your use case.

Alright guys lemme rephrase this..

- I dont have intentions of overclocking.

- I want the most bang for the buck for the cheapest price

- I may be able to get the Xeon for 100€ cheaper than the i7 5820k

- Its always nice to have the ability to upgrade therefore I've put the 768GB & 40 PCIE Lanes there, its not I REALLY want to use them, but its just a ''in case''.

If you were in MY seat, what would you honestly do? Personally, Im mostly towards the Xeon, I know its not as good as the i7 when it comes to Gaming, but as far as I've understood, the difference is very small, as Im not going to overclock, the gap is only 0.4 Ghz between them.

You dont understand my point of view.. Im stating IS the Xeon equal to the I7 5820k? Are the differences so small, that the price difference would suggest that if I can get the Xeon for cheaper, mean that the Xeon would be the better choice?

I'm saying the only benefits you would get from a Xeon aren't really even benefiting you. Must I spoon-feed it? 

Things like ECC, you do NOT need. Even if a Xeon is cheaper, you're losing so many things that make an i7 better. You WILL want to overclock. You can't overclock a Xeon, or at least you shouldn't. A Xeon would just be limiting the things you can do. The Xeon's with more cores and faster clocks that start actually benefiting you, cost >$1000.

Trust me. When it's all said and done, you're going to want to overclock. I didn't think I was going to overclock mine either. Also the 5820k will do 3 way SLI with no perceptible difference in performance. I guarantee you're not getting more than 3 cards. Just get the i7, do yourself a favor.

The i7 is easily more bang for your buck, by a long shot. 

Alright guys lemme rephrase this..

- I dont have intentions of overclocking.

- I want the most bang for the buck for the cheapest price

- I may be able to get the Xeon for 100€ cheaper than the i7 5820k

- Its always nice to have the ability to upgrade therefore I've put the 768GB & 40 PCIE Lanes there, its not I REALLY want to use them, but its just a ''in case''.

If you were in MY seat, what would you honestly do? Personally, Im mostly towards the Xeon, I know its not as good as the i7 when it comes to Gaming, but as far as I've understood, the difference is very small, as Im not going to overclock, the gap is only 0.4 Ghz between them.

You won't use the PCIE lanes unless you want to completely waste money for four GPUs to run in SLI. Either CPU is great for running three GPUs, two GPUs, or one GPU. It's nuts to not overclock the 5820k since you have to buy your own heatsink anyways for it, but even at stock the i7-5820k boosts to 3.6GHz on all six cores while the Xeon E5-2620v3 boosts to 2.6GHz on all six cores. So the i7-5820k at stock is almost 40% faster than the Xeon E5-2620v3 with all cores fully loaded. If you're sweating a measly 100€ on the CPU no way you're even coming close to using 64GB of RAM, much less going over it.

My biggest question is just, is the difference between the Xeon and the I7 really worth the 100€ extra? (The i7 being the more pricy one in this given case).

I understand that the Xeons aren't the best thing at gaming, but if the gap between them is something alike 5% difference, is it really worth paying more for the i7, if you got offered the Xeon for cheaper like in this instance, also I've had this computer for 5.5 years now, and have never wanted to overclock it.

The i7-5820k is a much better desktop CPU since they're both hexacores with 15MB L3 cache, but the 5820k has a much better clockspeed even at stock. By the time gaming systems need more than 64GB of RAM either CPU will be a dinosaur. The 5820k is 100€ better for your use case.

Gaming will never need more than 16GB in your lifetime. It will be 100 years before a game needs more 16GB of RAM.

Your wasting money on a product that is built for an entirely different use and market which is shit tons of requests in a RAID data environment running 24/7/365

Gaming will never need more than 16GB in your lifetime. It will be 100 years before a game needs more 16GB of RAM.

That's ridiculous. In the last 20 years games have gone from wanting about 8MB to wanting about 8GB.

My biggest question is just, is the difference between the Xeon and the I7 really worth the 100€ extra? (The i7 being the more pricy one in this given case).

I understand that the Xeons aren't the best thing at gaming, but if the gap between them is something alike 5% difference, is it really worth paying more for the i7, if you got offered the Xeon for cheaper like in this instance, also I've had this computer for 5.5 years now, and have never wanted to overclock it.

YES. It is worth it. Unless you're doing things that can truly justify getting a Xeon, things that would require things like ECC, and server loading, then fine. You don't have a massive budget, you can't spend the money on an expensive Xeon that would truly benefit you. You don't need a Xeon. If you want cheaper, get an i7-4790k, or even the i5-4690k. I'm usually gung-ho about these things, and tell people to screw it and get what they want, but not this time. Just watch Linus' videos, take all this with a grain of salt, then make your decision. If after all this, you want it that badly, then go for it.

The Xeon has no advantage whatsoever for your use case and the i7 has an enormous advantage in what matters.

That's ridiculous. In the last 20 years games have gone from wanting about 8MB to wanting about 8GB.

It's slowing down though. It's not a linear increase. There will be diminishing returns because the scale of things that require 8GB are already pushing developers.

It's slowing down though. It's not a linear increase. There will be diminishing returns because the scale of things that require 8GB are already pushing developers.

I don't buy that hardware is going to stagnate to that extreme point.

I watch alot of Linus videos and have seen the Xeon vs I7 before, I were just trying to figure out, if I were to get the Xeon 100€ cheaper than the I7, if the performance drop was worth it.

From what I've understood from you guys, the I7 is worth those 100€ extra in this case (Usually they are priced the same).

Also Im not being ''cheap'' on what I want, but I dont want to pay a premium, when I can get the proper hardware for cheaper, and I want DDR4, not DDR3, due to the fact, that the price difference right now, in my region is way too low, to make do the DDR3, CPU price is 50$ more for the DDR4 ones, so that makes no sense at all.

Yes I know CPU is not everything, but when the difference is that small, why not get the DDR4 instead.

Just to get this completely out of the way, can anyone tell me.. When the Xeon is on turbo mode, does this means ALL of its CPUs run at 3.2Ghz, if not which ones and how much?

I watch alot of Linus videos and have seen the Xeon vs I7 before, I were just trying to figure out, if I were to get the Xeon 100€ cheaper than the I7, if the performance drop was worth it.

From what I've understood from you guys, the I7 is worth those 100€ extra in this case (Usually they are priced the same).

Also Im not being ''cheap'' on what I want, but I dont want to pay a premium, when I can get the proper hardware for cheaper, and I want DDR4, not DDR3, due to the fact, that the price difference right now, in my region is way too low, to make do the DDR3, CPU price is 50$ more for the DDR4 ones, so that makes no sense at all.

Yes I know CPU is not everything, but when the difference is that small, why not get the DDR4 instead.

Just to get this completely out of the way, can anyone tell me.. When the Xeon is on turbo mode, does this means ALL of its CPUs run at 3.2Ghz, if not which ones and how much?

For gaming you'd be better off with a 4690k or 4790k and save the money. DDR4 offers nothing over DDR3 other than future compatibility, and a 4690k, 4790k, and 5820k will perform virtually the same in gaming (assuming you can get the 5820k to the same clock speeds).

No, more than likely the Xeon's cores will ALL turbo to the high 2's. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.