Should I get the GTX 970 or wait for the amd r9 3xx series

Ethn

I am getting my new build in july. I was going to get the GTX 970 and now a friend told me to wait and get the amd r9 3xx series but I am not sure what to do 

Get whatever is out in July.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Get whatever is out in July.

I am buying some parts now, like the CPU can ram and storage. The only thhing I will get in july is the GPU.

If you buy the GTX 970 buy it used.  If you like PhysX then Nvidia is your choice.  I guess with you mentioning waiting for AMD you don't really care about PhysX so I guess you can wait on what AMD is bringing out.  Thing you have to ask yourself are you happy with what you are using right now?  Are you able to play games and do what you want with your current pc?  If the answer is no then you might want to upgrade now and that doesn't have to mean buying a new single card solution.  You could SLI/Crossfire whatever it is you have for more performance.  Look for cards used or a sale.  The AMD cards especially were cheap weeks ago and in the future you may still find similar great buys with AMD trying unload what they have.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Buy the GPU last. CPU's won't come out in july, also, there is minimal difference between generations these past few years, just get everything and leave the GPU last, in July the R9 3xx series might come out, the prices will probably be lower of the 970. So just wait it out. :)

I am buying some parts now, like the CPU can ram and storage. The only thhing I will get in july is the GPU.

So get what is best value for money when you buy it.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Buy the GPU last. CPU's won't come out in july

Actually there might be new CPUs available by then, but nothing too exciting since Intel is just coasting along, performance-wise.

Actually there might be new CPUs available by then, but nothing too exciting since Intel is just coasting along, performance-wise.

Oh yeah, Q2 was mentioned in a conference not so long ago. But either way, last gen and new gen i5's barely have a 10% advantage in some rare cases. The only think there was a difference in was the power consumption. But they didn't OC so well so in the end no need to upgrade. Either way, a current gen i5 will last for a long time. :)

Go buy everyting in July, because you guarantee is 3 months shorter when you use your PC 

Buy the GPU last. CPU's won't come out in july, also, there is minimal difference between generations these past few years, just get everything and leave the GPU last, in July the R9 3xx series might come out, the prices will probably be lower of the 970. So just wait it out. :)

Broadwell should be out by then, though maybe not Skylake.

With this much time you shouldn't buy anything right now. What you should do is wait, get on newegg's mailing list, get on NCIXUS's mailing list, and so on, and over the next 5 months pick off parts one at a time when they go on crazy sales. A lot of times you can pick off a really nice power supply for $25 on newegg Shell Shockers. Or a nice case for $25. I have seen them offer i5-4690k + really nice Z97 board for $50-$60 off at times. Or maybe they start offering really crazy deals on the i5-4690k and i7-4790k at the Broadwell desktop launch. The two things I'd advise not buying now are the video card and the SSD. GPU since we won't know a lot about the R9 300 series until Computex most likely, and SSD since 5 months is a lot of time when SSD prices have been changing a lot the last year. But just pick components off when you can get ridiculous deals on them if you're going to be waiting that long anyways.

With this much time you shouldn't buy anything right now. What you should do is wait, get on newegg's mailing list, get on NCIXUS's mailing list, and so on, and over the next 5 months pick off parts one at a time when they go on crazy sales. A lot of times you can pick off a really nice power supply for $25 on newegg Shell Shockers. Or a nice case for $25. I have seen them offer i5-4690k + really nice Z97 board for $50-$60 off at times. Or maybe they start offering really crazy deals on the i5-4690k and i7-4790k at the Broadwell desktop launch. The two things I'd advise not buying now are the video card and the SSD. GPU since we won't know a lot about the R9 300 series until Computex most likely, and SSD since 5 months is a lot of time when SSD prices have been changing a lot the last year. But just pick components off when you can get ridiculous deals on them if you're going to be waiting that long anyways.

I am British doe :P How do I get on NewEggs mailing list?

I am British doe :P How do I get on NewEggs mailing list?

Well sub to newsletter. Itll send you an email... just different deals. But it its cheaper to import than pay the british price than still look at that.

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan.