I'm in a conundrum of sorts. H440 vs Define R5.

FLUFFYJELLO

So I'm moving my rig into a new home and I'm stuck between two choices. The H440 from NZXT or the Define R5 from Fractal Design.

Both are fantastic choices based on reviewers opinions and various videos from Hardware Canucks, JayzTwoCents, and of course LinusTechTips. I need a more personalized look at things. For your purpose I'll give you the specs of my system as well as the case I'm moving out of.

The build:

Processor: Intel i5 4690K

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 SOC

Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S (Push)

RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600

Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 280X Sapphire Tri-X

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

Power: Corsair CX750M modular power supply

And finally the case: Cooler Master HAF XM mid tower.

*Edit*

PCPartPicker link as per request:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GzgNTW

*End Edit*

I have 3 120mm EKWB F3 Vardar fans as well for better cooling, but let me make it perfectly clear that I do not water cool. I most likely never will simply because I'm set in my air cooled ways. I digress, don't take water cooling support into factors of one case over another. But knowing the componentry of my system, and the fact that I am above all things using this system for gaming (you now have this info as well), what is your opinion, and why? What is your recommendation, and why?

And please no horror stories about "my case was missing this and that" or "my x product that isn't either one of those cases but was made by one of those companies is awful". I don't care about anything but these two cases, because I've narrowed it down to these two, and I'm stuck at the end of my decision making road.

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

So I'm moving my rig into a new home and I'm sick between two choices. The H440 from NZXT or the Define R5 from Fractal Design.

Both are fantastic choices based on reviewers opinions and various videos from Hardware Canucks, JayzTwoCents, and of course LinusTechTips. I need a more personalized look at things. For your purpose I'll give you the specs of my system as well as the case I'm moving out of.

The build:

Processor: Intel i5 4690K

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 SOC

Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S (Push)

RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600

Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 280X Sapphire Tri-X

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

Power: Corsair CX750M modular power supply

And finally the case: Cooler Master HAF XM mid tower.

I have 3 120mm EKWB F3 Vardar fans as well for better cooling, but let me make it perfectly clear that I do not water cool. I most likely never will simply because I'm set in my air cooled ways. I digress, don't take water cooling support into factors of one case over another. But knowing the componentry of my system, and the fact that I am above all things using this system for gaming (you now have this info as well), what is your opinion, and why? What I'd your recommendation, and why?

And please no horror stories about "my case was missing this and that" or "my x product that isn't either one of those cases but was made by one of those companies is awful". I don't care about anything but these two cases, because I've narrowed it down to these two, and I'm stuck at the end of my decision making road.

pc partpicker link please

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

-snip-

trolling hardcore

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

i like the R5 better, but both are great cases

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I would go h440 since you don't have to make the case look ugly in order to make it usable *cough* divine r5 *cough*

I would go h440 since you don't have to make the case look ugly in order to make it usable *cough* divine r5 *cough*

What do you mean by this?

Its up to you when it comes to looks, but the R5 is functionally better then the H440, being both quieter and having better airflow. It's also slightly easier to build in, and has 5.25" bays.

"Rawr XD"

pc partpicker link please

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GzgNTW

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Its up to you when it comes to looks, but the R5 is functionally better then the H440, being both quieter and having better airflow. It's also slightly easier to build in, and has 5.25" bays.

Well I don't have any 5.25" peripherals/components (DVD, bluray, or fan controllers)

R5, minimalist and quiet. 

Desktop: i5 4670k, Z97-K, 16GB, MSI GTX 770, Evga 850G2, TT T31

Freenas Server: i3 4170, X10-SLL-F-O, Crucial 16GB UDIMM, 4x4TB WD Red, Evga 550GS, Fractal 804

Peripheral: K60, HyperX Cloud

Mobile: Nexus 6P 

Well I don't have any 5.25" peripherals/components (DVD, bluray, or fan controllers)

Aside from that the other three factors still apply...

"Rawr XD"

I assume you're referring to the modu-vents which I would agree are not attractive. But they would be left on as I wouldn't use any fans to fill that space.

Okay? I have an R5 with all the moduvents on. It looks good, and cools my build well.

I ment I dint like build with silence optimization but then looks bad after you give it som more fetures

I ment I dint like build with silence optimization but then looks bad after you give it som more fetures

It gives better airflow than an H440, no?

For cooling/silent operation R5 any day but for aesthetics the H440 which is what im going with since im a headphone gamer and can care less about silence and would rather my pc be more visually pleasing

It gives better airflow than an H440, no?

*facepalm*

I ment cases like the r5 and 760T don't look good after you take off the panel that is on the top (basically the modu vents) to give room for a radiator of more fans then the case will look ugly

Thank you to everyone for the input. Ultimately I decided to go with the H440. The aesthetics just appealed to me more, but in the future I'm going to do a build using the Define R5 and use componentry worthy of a case with so much functionality (maybe actually dabble in water cooling). Thanks for all the input!

*facepalm*

I ment cases like the r5 and 760T don't look good after you take off the panel that is on the top (basically the modu vents) to give room for a radiator of more fans then the case will look ugly

I know, I'm clearly not the one misunderstanding what is being said. I was saying that as much as it looks bad compared to the H440, open grilles will give better airflow than the thinner vents the H440 has.

I know, I'm clearly not the one misunderstanding what is being said. I was saying that as much as it looks bad compared to the H440, open grilles will give better airflow than the thinner vents the H440 has.

I did take that into account. Hence the EKWB fans for some static pressure through the vents. I had the fans on order last week (they take forever to ship) and I know silence-optimized cases often suffer from worse airflow as opposed to their more obnoxious brethren. But I believe I have come prepared, and am flexible and patient enough to pay return shipping if one of these doesn't work out.