4 8GB sticks or 2 16GB sticks

Hey guys,

I have a short question.

Do i benefit from using 4 8GB sticks of RAM over using 2 16GB sticks?

As a general rule of thumb, more sticks equals higher bandwidth but with a larger latency, what are you using it for will dictate which is better

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

As a general rule of thumb, more sticks equals higher bandwidth but with a larger latency, what are you using it for will dictate which is better

I will use it for gaming with a Asus ROG Maximus VII Formula Mobo.

If you have an X79 or X99 motherboard, having 4 sticks will give you twice the bandwidth. If you have anything else, it doesn't matter at all.

(I would generally go for 2x8, because it gives you the ability to add another 2x8 kit into the extra two slots without any troubles. (IF you ever need the extra RAM)).

Edit:

I will use it for gaming with a Asus ROG Maximus VII Formula Mobo.

Z97 only supports dual channel, so there'd be no difference between 2x8 and 4x4.

Like I said, I'd probably go for 2x8, because if leaves you with two extra slots for a possible future upgrade (not that I'd see any reason to have 32 GB of RAM).

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

If you have an X79 or X99 motherboard, having 4 sticks will give you twice the bandwidth. If you have anything else, it doesn't matter at all.

(I would generally go for 2x8, because it gives you the ability to add another 2x8 kit into the extra two slots without any troubles. (IF you ever need the extra RAM)).

Edit:

Z97 only supports dual channel, so there'd be no difference between 2x8 and 4x4.

Like I said, I'd probably go for 2x8, because if leaves you with two extra slots for a possible future upgrade (not that I'd see any reason to have 32 GB of RAM).

thanks a lot :)

Is there even 16gb sticks yet?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv