Oh Google

Salmiakbal

So maybe I'm late on this but I just noticed it.

The menu you get when you right click a video on Youtube has changed since recently and there's now also a button for ''stats for nerds''

Now not only do I really despise the fact that they got rid of the ''stop download'' button, but now they're also insulting the people that actually know their stuff, implying they only care about the average user that doesn't know whatever (dumbing down)

This attitude has now permeated through Youtube from the developers that evidently have enough time to make April Fool's jokes, promote Earth day and add silly Easter eggs, making me feel like the company is run by college going kids.

Just because they practically own the biggest online video sharing service doesn't mean they can pull off whatever they want and It's beginning to irritate me.. They should focus more on serious issues.

Thoughts?

May I add something? Their youtube app (at least on android) IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF CRAP EVER. I could list 20 things I despise about it off the top of my head, but I'll spare it. For someone who spends hours a day on youtube on his phone, google devs have really let me down. Google has a lot of ambition, but I don't think they care very much about youtube.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I really hate how you can't download YouTube videos to your phone anymore. Makes train rides hell

I don't know if this is just me or the ios version of youtube but some times the video quality will drop like to 144p in the middle of a video

CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 4.2GHz Quad-Core    CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid     Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150   Memory Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600     Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" SSD     Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM    Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB   Case Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower   Power Supply Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V  Optical Drive none Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 ultimate

Just because they practically own the biggest online video sharing service doesn't mean they can pull off whatever they want and It's beginning to irritate me..

Well, I mean, in reality, it actually does.

YouTube has proven time and time again that it can implement any random changes it wants and people will continue to use the service. And until something threatens YouTube's position as the Internet's largest source of user-submitted videos, that won't change. It's unfortunate, but that's just how it works. It's like facebook; as long as facebook has an active userbase ten times larger than that of any other social networking platform, it can make any changes it wants at anyone's expense.

And why do you consider "nerd" an insult? Embrace it! Be proud! :P

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I don't know if this is just me or the ios version of youtube but some times the video quality will drop like to 144p in the middle of a video

Just you.

(SpecsCPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7850 MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte H81M-S2PV RAM: 4GB Storage: 2TB WD HDD

(Peripherals) Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: Zowie EC2-A Headset: Audio-Technica ATH-M50X's Microphone: Blue Snowball

Stop download button would be useless as currently video stops loading itself when paused.

Which is also terrible... What if I'm on a slow connection and want to let a video buffer for a while?

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Why did they get rid of the stop download button? I actually used that :l

I really don't think that it's a big deal. calling it stats for nerds doesn't mean anything to me. The average person doesn't care about how many frames have been dropped or any of the other things included in the stats thing. Nerd isn't really an insulting word either. And I really don't understand what you mean by them only caring about people who don't know anything and insulting those who do. what makes you think that?

May I add something? Their youtube app (at least on android) IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF CRAP EVER. I could list 20 things I despise about it off the top of my head, but I'll spare it. For someone who spends hours a day on youtube on his phone, google devs have really let me down. Google has a lot of ambition, but I don't think they care very much about youtube.

I know right? I think they do care a lot about Youtube but they're just a tad megalomaniac, thinking they can do whatever because they're Google

Stop download button would be useless as currently video stops loading itself when paused.

I used it to get a better look at the preview thumbnail of video's.

I don't have this issue but stuff like this forces me to use 3rd party addons to fix them

For me a big issue was that video's load in 240p while I can easily handle 1080p on my connection, so I need to use a3rd party addon to fix it..

Well, I mean, in reality, it actually does.

YouTube has proven time and time again that it can implement any random changes it wants and people will continue to use the service. And until something threatens YouTube's position as the Internet's largest source of user-submitted videos, that won't change. It's unfortunate, but that's just how it works. It's like facebook; as long as facebook has an active userbase ten times larger than that of any other social networking platform, it can make any changes it wants at anyone's expense.

And why do you consider "nerd" an insult? Embrace it! Be proud! :P

Nah I don't really consider it an insult, I just thought it was a blunt move

And I know you're right. I like Vimeo way more but Youtube's where it's at...

And I can't tell you how pissed off that makes me.

For a person who can barely stream 1080p on their internet in optimal conditions, this is bad. I used to just pause the video long enough for it to get a good headstart, but now I can't.

This is utter bull s***. >:-(

Not only that, I tend to leave youtube videos in tabs while I look at other websites so I don't forget to watch the video if I think of something more important to do at that moment. Now I have to remember to stop the video during the advertisement rather than just right clicking and stopping the download.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I have the same problem even when my internet is fine and notifications take forever to go away so i have notifications from videos weeks ago.

My rig  case- Graphite 600t white CPU-i5 3570k OC 4.0Ghz RAM- 8gb Vengeance memory HDD-WD Black 1tb PSU-tx650 GPU- MSI 770 gameing edition 2gb , gtx 650 1gb Motherboard- asrock extreme 3 z77 Fan controller- NZXT sentry lx CPU cooler- H60 Peripherals- g300 mouse G630 headset k70 silver cherry mx red switches  my free nas nas Case- Dell something.. Ram- 8 gb ecc ddr 2 CPU - Pentium D 3.0ghz HDD currently 160 gb adding 3tb wd red “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something” –Jake the Dog

NERD RAGE

Not just you. I have a similar problem but on my PC.

The video would start at 480p, then drop to 360p after the 30 second mark or so, then finally to 240p.

I have to switch manually to 480p before the videos start, and even then, they take really long to load.

Yeah I actually saw this yesteday. I right clicked and saw Stats for Nerds and I was like woah k, strange move.

Nothing can justify Youtube's layout changes though. Don't get my started, the new front page is just terrible.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Aren't you over-reacting a bit?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I dont know about you but i like new youtube homepage, didnt have any problems about it

currently the new way youtube stops the download for videos creates a problem with buffering in my slow internet also the part where it said stats for nerds ... i though that was kinda funny.... it's like google knows me 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

Happens to me to.

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

Seriously? Raging over them calling it "Stats for nerds" sarcastically? Come on... 

Btw, What would you use the Stop download button for? I've kinda wondered about that

#Googlefanboy

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

I suggest everyone go to a Youtube video and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Click "Send Feedback" then suggest they change Youtube videos downloading to not stop when it's paused and give back the "stop download" option.

It just irritates me so.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Seriously? Raging over them calling it "Stats for nerds" sarcastically? Come on... 

Btw, What would you use the Stop download button for? I've kinda wondered about that

#Googlefanboy

There's a lot more issues, if you haven't noticed. The ''stats for nerds'' is just a small part of that.

#Googlefanboy

I would use it to have that Youtube video in a tab not downloading while I go about other things. Like watching a different video as it loads (thus letting the video that I'm watching download rather than splitting my internet between the two videos).

† Christian Member †

Happens to me to.

this happens to me on desk top ... now what i do is everytime i watch a you tube vid i always manually choose the quality (when manually chosen it stays )

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

No it doesn't...

Main Rig

CPU-
AMD FX 8350 | CPU Cooler- CM hyper 212 Evo | GPU- Radeon HD 7970 | RAM- G.SKill Ripjawz X 2x4 | Storage- 1TB WD Black | 128gb Plextor Ms5 | Case- BitFenix Shinobi   | Motherboard- Gigabyte AM3+ UD3 | PSU- Rosewill hive 750 watt

Media PC

CPU- A10-5800k | GPU- Onboard | RAM- Ripjaws X 4Gb | Storage- Seagate 1TB | Case- Bitfenix Prodigy M | Motherboard- MSI A75M-E35 | PSU- Antec 350W Basiq