is a 4690k and a 4790k comparable...

Go to solution Solved by SkilledRebuilds,

I actually currently have 8gb of ram in my laptop right now, and it feels like I'm barely hanging on to properly function my laptop, heck idk why but when Skyrim was quite new I was still able to play it on my laptop, but now the only thing I can play here is Starcraft Brood Wars... and there are still times when it feels like my FPS is dipping too low. but of course I don't blame the ram totally, I just don't know what's wrong with my laptop now and I probably went of topic haha.

but of course, I'm no expert when it comes to these things which is why I'm asking for opinions, so does my thought pattern sound flawed? if so please enlighten me :)

The sluggishness of the laptop IMO, is absolutely nothing to do with the 8GB memory amount...

I know there are people with millions of tabs and then start gaming, but it IS a laptop after all,.. with a non-desktop CPU inside, restricted in performance right off the bat for gaming compared to desktops, but.. after time and such buildup of microdust, the laptop will heat up, even when clean it probably does high 80's-high90*c temps, causing CPU/GPU throttling near 100*c, non'gaming'named laptops in general are not the ideal gaming solution because of this throttling. But your desktop CPU will not encounter this at all, even with stock cooling.

lol Got off topic, the memory in your laptop is hardly the issue IMO. But what I mean is 8GB,...I use 1.5GB or less booting windows, play a game, generally 6GB or less is used I've not seen it near it's maximum except the 'types' of games that overfill ALL available GPU/SYSRAM for caching. /off topic again. :/

8GB is great, 16Gb can come in 6-12-18months or whatever.. it's cheap.

But you have a build budget...

i7 all the way, enjoy MAXIMUM performance,..using 6Gb of ram :P from your 8GB,..and boom,..16GB in a short while afterwards.

/Dunno what topic I'm on...

I had a 600w PSU, got a 290(up2OC=300w) to replace my HD7950(up2OC=240w), now a 750w Evga modular, it's quite nice,.. it can run 2x290's just fine.

If your going the 970 route,.. you'll do better again..have more and need less :)

to the price to performance ratio of a 970 and a 980?

I hope everybody gets this... like the 980 is something like 35% more expensive than the 970 but is only about 15-20% better?

can the same be said with the 4690k and the 4790k? or does the extra price of the 4790k really offer equal performance benefits?

If your just gaming there is little to no difference between the two.

If you plan on rendering and or video editing the 4790k would be way better.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

kinda the 4790k is a bit better for video editing and the like if your just gaming the 4690k wont have much difference in performance than the 4790k as far as i know.

askdjfasdf

For things like rendering, the 4790k is definitely worth the money over the 4690k. For gaming it's different because in some games the 4790k performs significantly better, and in others it performs exactly the same (unlike the 980 vs 970 where it always performs better).

RIP in pepperonis m8s

to the price to performance ratio of a 970 and a 980?

I hope everybody gets this... like the 980 is something like 35% more expensive than the 970 but is only about 15-20% better?

can the same be said with the 4690k and the 4790k? or does the extra price of the 4790k really offer equal performance benefits?

At the moment the differences are really really little between 4690K and 4790K when it comes to gaming. Yes, on some game (which is like just a few I believe) the 4790K will be better than 4690K by like a few frames per second.

If you are doing lots of video rendering and stuff like that, then you might want to consider getting the 4790K.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

For things like rendering, the 4790k is definitely worth the money over the 4690k. For gaming it's different because in some games the 4790k performs significantly better, and in others it performs exactly the same (unlike the 980 vs 970 where it always performs better).

when you say significantly better performance from the 4790k, what exactly will be affected?

and for the rendering I'm guessing like if a 4690k can render something in 1 hour, the 4790k will be able to do it in 45 mins? or even lower? I just need more exact estimates than just "better" :)

how exactly is the difference when it comes to rendering? can the 4790k deliver up to twice the speed for rendering or not? and yeah even thought the 980 is "always" better than the 970, it's more of how much better is what I'm asking about :)

Esp when OC'd...

4790K would be a huge benefit to Video/Production work and such things pretty CPU intensive.

Gaming,.. the same performance is had as an i5 usually.

Estimate of i5 vs i7 - "UP TO 35% improvement" <--

But you can always look at reviews from EACH CPU,.. using the same site no doubt, so they do the same tests, and peruse over the results.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

when you say significantly better performance from the 4790k, what exactly will be affected?

and for the rendering I'm guessing like if a 4690k can render something in 1 hour, the 4790k will be able to do it in 45 mins? or even lower? I just need more exact estimates than just "better" :)

Some games perform flat out better on the 4790k. 

Example:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

Generally it's not nearly that big of a difference though.

As for rendering, just look at something like Cinebench scores https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlC81MjwelBgdEZNV3l6aHl1eUNwSUR4Rml0MXMzN1E&usp=sharing#gid=0they should be pretty accurate in determining the % difference in rendering speed (remember most of those scores are with heavy overclocks).

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Esp when OC'd...

4790K would be a huge benefit to Video/Production work and such things pretty CPU intensive.

Gaming,.. the same performance is had as an i5 usually.

Estimate of i5 vs i7 - "UP TO 35% improvement" <--

But you can always look at reviews from EACH CPU,.. using the same site no doubt, so they do the same tests, and peruse over the results.

Some games perform flat out better on the 4790k. 

Example:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

Generally it's not nearly that big of a difference though.

As for rendering, just look at something like Cinebench scores https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlC81MjwelBgdEZNV3l6aHl1eUNwSUR4Rml0MXMzN1E&usp=sharing#gid=0they should be pretty accurate in determining the % difference in rendering speed (remember most of those scores are with heavy overclocks).

one thing I'd like to add though is that for now I'm planning on getting a 4690k with 16gb of ram. do you guys think that the 16gb of ram would be wasted with the 4690k? would it be better if I got a 4790k with 8gb of ram? here's a link to the full build I'm planning on :) http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/322905-build-critique-before-i-finally-buy-everything/?p=4388739

one thing I'd like to add though is that for now I'm planning on getting a 4690k with 16gb of ram. do you guys think that the 16gb of ram would be wasted with the 4690k? would it be better if I got a 4790k with 8gb of ram? here's a link to the full build I'm planning on :) http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/322905-build-critique-before-i-finally-buy-everything/?p=4388739

DEFINITELY buy an i7 with 8GB of RAM instead of an i5 with 16GB.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Currently, do you ever run out of ram?

Do you use programs that require it?

Wait until you need it...invest that $100+ elsewhere for now.

Think of it this way..

Upgrade to 16GB of Memory from 8GB = $100 ish give or take country tax and such things...

Upgrade to the i7 from the i5 = $Lots more$

Go the i7, get Memory later on.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Since you're mostly doing video editing, and you can always upgrade ram later, I'd get the 4790k. The rest of your build seems pretty good, not sure about the power supply though. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Currently, do you ever run out of ram?

Do you use programs that require it?

Wait until you need it...invest that $100+ elsewhere for now.

Think of it this way..

Upgrade to 16GB of Memory from 8GB = $100 ish give or take country tax and such things...

Upgrade to the i7 from the i5 = $Lots more$

Go the i7, get Memory later on.

I actually currently have 8gb of ram in my laptop right now, and it feels like I'm barely hanging on to properly function my laptop, heck idk why but when Skyrim was quite new I was still able to play it on my laptop, but now the only thing I can play here is Starcraft Brood Wars... and there are still times when it feels like my FPS is dipping too low. but of course I don't blame the ram totally, I just don't know what's wrong with my laptop now and I probably went of topic haha.

but yeah what I was actually thinking about the ram thing was that since a motherboard only has set amount of slots to put ram in, then getting 8gb now would limit the max amount I can get to 16gb, while getting 16gb would of course allow for a future customization of 32gb, which would hopefully still be usable when the next gen processors come out.

unlike the i7, which even though is one of the top CPUs now, would probably lower in value come time other CPUs come out while the RAMs are still good. that's kind of what I'm also thinking when I go for the 970 instead of the 980 (but that's probably a whole other topic)

but of course, I'm no expert when it comes to these things which is why I'm asking for opinions, so does my thought pattern sound flawed? if so please enlighten me :)

Since you're mostly doing video editing, and you can always upgrade ram later, I'd get the 4790k. The rest of your build seems pretty good, not sure about the power supply though. 

I just chose the power supply because it's the highest available PSU available here that's also in this list http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.htmlwhich I found here in the forums, also got 750w coz I'm thinking 50/50 of getting another 970 in the near or far future to SLI them. what would you suggest instead? :)

The sluggishness of the laptop IMO, is absolutely nothing to do with the 8GB memory amount...

I know there are people with millions of tabs and then start gaming, but it IS a laptop after all,.. with a non-desktop CPU inside, restricted in performance right off the bat for gaming compared to desktops, but.. after time and such buildup of microdust, the laptop will heat up, even when clean it probably does high 80's-high90*c temps, causing CPU/GPU throttling near 100*c, non'gaming'named laptops in general are not the ideal gaming solution because of this throttling. But your desktop CPU will not encounter this at all, even with stock cooling.

lol Got off topic, the memory in your laptop is hardly the issue IMO. But what I mean is 8GB,...I use 1.5GB or less booting windows, play a game, generally 6GB or less is used I've not seen it near it's maximum except the 'types' of games that overfill ALL available GPU/SYSRAM for caching. /off topic again. :/

i7 all the way, enjoy MAXIMUM performance,..using 6Gb of ram :P from your 8GB,..and boom,..16GB in a short while afterwards.

I had a 600w PSU, got a 290(up2OC=300w) to replace my HD7950(up2OC=240w), now a 750w Evga modular, it's quite nice,.. it can run 2x290's just fine.

If your going the 970 route,.. you'll do better again..have more and need less :)

I hope you're not mocking me when I went off topic... well I feel like you're not but I'm just cautious hehe

but thank you though for the solid argument! I'm looking to see if I can do with the 4790k + 8gb ram instead! since I just calculated that with the build I'm planning, there will be only a USD 26.07 increase to the original price that I already had, which I'm perfectly fine with!

I hope you're not mocking me when I went off topic... well I feel like you're not but I'm just cautious hehe

but thank you though for the solid argument! I'm looking to see if I can do with the 4790k + 8gb ram instead! since I just calculated that with the build I'm planning, there will be only a USD 26.07 increase to the original price that I already had, which I'm perfectly fine with!

I was more mocking myself, I go offtopic on every post, your comment reminded me of, so I played on it,.. making a joke out of it,.. not personal buddy :)

Glad you got your thoughts and build sorted,.. good times ahead.