Thinking about picking up the ASUS GRYPHON instead of the ROG MAXIMUS VI GENE

So I'm a huge Asus ROG guy and I recently sold my older Rampage III Formula, CPU, and memory, so that I could upgrade to Haswell. I was really set on getting the ROG Gene VI because I wanted a MATX ROG board for a while now...however there is an awesome deal at newegg for the Gryphon today and I am thinking about bailing on the ROG for the TUFF series. I think the Gryphon with thermal armor would look nice in my 350D and Asus ROG 7970 Platinum. The colors are not my favorite on the Gryphon, but with the armor, its pretty much all blacked out once you get your components in there.

What do you guys think? Anyone have either of these boards? I know the ROG will have more features and I would really like to have that onboard LED for troubleshooting, but honestly I have been OK without it for years now. I don't think I would do any major overclocking other than hitting about 4GHz. Pretty much going to do some tweaking and get back to gaming. 

Asus Gryphon w/Thermal Armor / Intel i5 4670K / Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB / Asus ROG Matrix 7970 Platinum / Samsung 830 / Seagate Barracuda

Corsair AX860 / Corsiar 350D / Corsair H100i / Windows 8 Pro

save yourself the bucks and get the gryphon.. if your just planning to hit 4ghz and go back to gaming then you dont need all those extra bells and whistles

The only gripe I have ( though this could be an Aus market thing) is the thermal armour is an additional purchase. It doesn't come with the Gryphon. It does look cool though. I really wish it was a black/grey theme instead of a black/brown. I have the z77 sabertooth and recoloured as much of the brown I could. You could still get an exceptional over clock out of it though. Where the Gryphon might fall short is on Audio but I'm just working off memory so I could be wrong on that.

The only gripe I have ( though this could be an Aus market thing) is the thermal armour is an additional purchase. It doesn't come with the Gryphon. It does look cool though. I really wish it was a black/grey theme instead of a black/brown. I have the z77 sabertooth and recoloured as much of the brown I could. You could still get an exceptional over clock out of it though. Where the Gryphon might fall short is on Audio but I'm just working off memory so I could be wrong on that.

Yea, the Armor cost pretty much negates the savings of just buying the ROG outright. But even then, I do like the looks of it. I originally was going for a Red\Black theme. However I might be able to make a black\silver\white go together OK.

I bought a Corsair AX860 and I was pretty close to buying the red sleeved cables. At the last minute (at checkout), I decided that the metallic graphite would look better and be more color friendly if I wanted to go with other colors later. I can get over the brown since it does go well with black. Also I plan on getting some Dominator platinum's and will switch my corsair fans from the red ring to white. That should look decent. Also have a H100i going in.

As far as audio, I was thinking that it would not be as fancy as the ROG. It doesn't have that separated line in the board, but overall it does not matter since I use my Corsair Vengeance 2000 for pretty much everything.

Asus Gryphon w/Thermal Armor / Intel i5 4670K / Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB / Asus ROG Matrix 7970 Platinum / Samsung 830 / Seagate Barracuda

Corsair AX860 / Corsiar 350D / Corsair H100i / Windows 8 Pro