GPU that was used for mining

lovingGamer
Go to solution Solved by Faceman,

There are different types of loads that are being applied to the GPU.  Take Furmark and Unigine Heaven for example.  Both push the GPU to 100% utilization, but Furmark is way more dangerous and taxing.  Unigine Heaven is like gaming, and Furmark is like mining. 

Let me try and explain this with an analogy:

When you are gaming, changes are going on in the game, your GPU is basically using "adaptive mode" similar to your CPU to ramp up and down as the game calls for it.  Depending on the action, or lack thereof that is going on in game, the GPU adapts to that scenario.  It isn't going to use excessive amounts of power on a loading screen, or a cut scene, or something non-demanding.  When something demanding does happen, then the GPU will ramp up to meet that demand.  It is most definitely not always running at 100% utilization.

Think of a Nascar or Formula One Race, imagine the car as your GPU. When you are racing,  your car is always adapting to the situation around you.  You speed up, you slow down, you turn, you pit stop, things are going on that your car has to adapt to similar to your GPU when you game.

Now, what Furmark does is not like a game, or a Nascar race.  Furmark is like a drag race.  A pedal to the metal, push the car/GPU as hard as it can possibly go in a straight line, no turning, no stopping, just full on, all out go, go, GO! In a realistic scenario of GPU use, you would never, ever encounter this type of load.  It is entirely unrealistic.

Mining with your GPU is a full on drag race, non-stop 100% utilization, max power draw, excessive heat, etc.. Its brutal.  It shortens the lifespan of the GPU and degrades the circuitry and components.  It is not a good idea to buy a GPU that was used for mining, unless it is under manufacturer's warranty, and even then, I would still be careful.

Buy a used GPU all you want, just don't buy a GPU that was used for mining.  It is two completely different types of applications and amounts of stress.  Mining is a non-stop drag race, gaming is a nascar race.  Read the analogy above.

You also don't know how much mining has been done.  For mining to be profitable(not really), those cards need to be running full tilt, 24/7 for months, maybe even a year non-stop.  That is way too much unknown, and way too much risk for me to personally swallow or recommend anyone else take the plunge on.

~GPU that was used for mining~

Hi everyone if i ever purchase a Used GPU (Mining)

What should i do change thermal paste?

And why actually, GPUs that were used for mining are bad, i know they run 24/7

Few people here on LTT are telling me that mining GPUs are not bad.

What gpu would that be? 

Isn't your 280x good enough already?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

What gpu would that be? 

He is prob getting another lol

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Or he's asking random stuff just for the sake of asking as usual :P

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

I doubt it, a 500W psu wouldn't be enough to power 2X 280x 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

What gpu would that be? 

Yeah my GPU is cool, i'm asking this for my friend..

tomorrow it's his birthday so i want to buy him 280X It's used for mining and it's only 100 EURO

that is good idea but, then i would have to upgrade my PSU and i don't have money to do that :)

Or he's asking random stuff just for the sake of asking as usual :P

no.

my asking this for my friend, tomorrow is his birthday i want to buy something nice for him..

So i found used GPU 280X for mining.. 

tomorrow it's his birthday so i want to buy him 280X It's used for mining and it's only 100 EURO

Don't buy if it's not under factory warranty.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

that is good idea but, then i would have to upgrade my PSU and i don't have money to do that :)

I wouldn't buy a used item for a friend man, if something goes wrong to much mucking around

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

If it's Ben mining for that long it will probably be on its last legs

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

There are different types of loads that are being applied to the GPU.  Take Furmark and Unigine Heaven for example.  Both push the GPU to 100% utilization, but Furmark is way more dangerous and taxing.  Unigine Heaven is like gaming, and Furmark is like mining. 

When you are gaming, changes are going on in the game, your GPU is basically using "adaptive mode" similar to your CPU to ramp up and down as the game calls for it.  Depending on the action, or lack thereof that is going on in game, the GPU adapts to that scenario.  It isn't going to use excessive amounts of power on a loading screen, or a cut scene, or something non-demanding.  When something demanding does happen, then the GPU will ramp up to meet that demand.  It is most definitely not always running at 100% utilization.

Think of a Nascar or Formula One Race, imagine the car as your GPU. When you are racing,  your car is always adapting to the situation around you.  You speed up, you slow down, you turn, you pit stop, things are going on that your car has to adapt to similar to your GPU when you game.

Now, what Furmark does is not like a game, or a Nascar race.  Furmark is like a drag race.  A pedal to the metal, push the car/GPU as hard as it can possibly go in a straight line, no turning, no stopping, just full on, all out go, go, GO! In a realistic scenario of GPU use, you would never, ever encounter this type of load.  It is entirely unrealistic.

Mining with your GPU is a full on drag race, non-stop 100% utilization, max power draw, excessive heat, etc.. Its brutal.  It shortens the lifespan of the GPU and degrades the circuitry and components.  It is not a good idea to buy a GPU that was used for mining, unless it is under manufacturer's warranty, and even then, I would still be careful.

Buy a used GPU all you want, just don't buy a GPU that was used for mining.  It is two completely different types of applications and amounts of stress.  Mining is a non-stop drag race, gaming is a nascar race.  Read the analogy above.

You also don't know how much mining has been done.  For mining to be profitable(not really), those cards need to be running full tilt, 24/7 for months, maybe even a year non-stop.  That is way too much unknown, and way too much risk for me to personally swallow or recommend anyone else take the plunge on.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Yeah you are right, i will just go and buy him a R9 270

that is decent little card :)

He will be play GTA V i'm 99% sure

Thanks!

no.

my asking this for my friend, tomorrow is his birthday i want to buy something nice for him..

So i found used GPU 280X for mining..

:P its fine mining doesnt really hurt the gpu.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

I remember not long ago there was a thread about a used Sapphire Toxic 280x that a

guy had bought. It was fine for months, but it started artifacting after that period. Turns

outThe card had been used for mining for 3 months.   

I remember not long ago there was a thread about a used Sapphire Toxic 280x that a

guy had bought. It was fine for months, but it started artifacting after that period. Turns

outThe card had been used for mining for 3 months.   

280X that i planned to play was used 3 month too mining

280X that i planned to play was used 3 month too mining

I'd avoid it, might have been stressed for too long.

What are you on about? The window in which GPU mining made some kind of sense was very short so the GPU's probably only mined for a few months. And mining doesn't hurt the GPU in any significant way as long as its adequatly cooled. Even if there was some degradation due to high temps it wouldn't matter over such a short timespan, the only thing chip degradation does anyway is make it require more voltage at some point to run the clocks stable.

Even if mining reduced the lifespan in some capacity it would most likely still last longer than he'd need it too...

What are you on about? The window in which GPU mining made some kind of sense was very short so the GPU's probably only mined for a few months. And mining doesn't hurt the GPU in any significant way as long as its adequatly cooled. Even if there was some degradation due to high temps it wouldn't matter over such a short timespan, the only thing chip degradation does anyway is make it require more voltage at some point to run the clocks stable.

Even if mining reduced the lifespan in some capacity it would most likely still last longer than he'd need it too...

The window in which it was profitable doesn't mean it was wasn't used when not profitable. People still mine to this day and we're well past profitable. How can you tell if it was adequately cooled or not? There is no way of knowing for how long and in what kind of conditions the card was being used during mining. Again, we don't know how long it was mined for, and if you think the person trying to sell the card is going to be forthright about how long it was used for mining, then you must be new to the internet.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Is it really that bad because I found an offer here for a 280x with 20 months of remaining warranty and the guy offered me to test the card first?

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Is it really that bad because I found an offer here for a 280x with 20 months of remaining warranty and the guy offered me to test the card first?

If you're comfortable with that. 20 months is decent. Test the card rigorously. Most importantly, make sure the warranty is transferable!

I've got 2 290 reference cards that were mined with.  Haven't had a single issue with them - save the noise.  HG10 A1 + H90 solved that though.....

Mothership - 3770k @ 4.5 - 980ti SLI - Z77UD5

Protégé - FX8350 @ 4.8 - Fury X - CHVFZ