Im gpu confused

Go to solution Solved by Cactu,

ok so im set on the i5 a 480gb ssd cuz thats all i need and i dont want the trouble of two drives when the only information i use now is about 370gb and i want some leg room, i also setteled on the 970 and still managed to keep the pricepoint under $1350

my build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pTZ2f7

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cactusneedle_18/saved/#view=hhWj4D

i really want a slightly faster gpu but im not quite sure what fills the gap between a gtx 970 and a gtx 960 SSC

also im looking to lower my price in any way possible while keeping portability and high performance.

my build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pTZ2f7

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cactusneedle_18/saved/#view=hhWj4D

i really want a slightly faster gpu but im not quite sure what fills the gap between a gtx 970 and a gtx 960 SSC

also im looking to lower my price in any way possible while keeping portability and high performance.

R9 280X and R9 290 are both great options that are between the performance of the 960 and 970.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

R9 280X and R9 290 are both great options that are between the performance of the 960 and 970.

anything from the green team? amd cards are kind of my second/last choice

Nope, it is either 960 or 970, there is nothing between :(

Nothing really from team green if you want something between a 960 and 970 (and makes sense $$ wise). Your best bet is a R9 280X.

If you're only looking at a green option then you'll drop a bit in terms of price per performance but likely be happy with a 970.

CPU Intel i7 5930k - Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe - RAM Kingston DDR4 32GB - GPU nVidia GeForce GTX980 3way SLI - Case NZXT H440 – Samsung XP941 m.2, Samsung 850 Pro, WD Black, WD Red - PSU Corsair Ax1200i

If you want to reduce cost, get an i5. It won't hardly affect performance. Also, you can get a 1TB HDD and a 256GB SSD for the price of that SSD there.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

280X/7970 or a 770. And just a heads up -- 770s are still pretty freaking expensive. Price to performance, the 7970 is a much better deal.

Just a note..that 770 only has 2 gig of vRAM. You are really doing yourself a disservice of ruling out AMD at this price point. You are getting so much less product for more money.

CPU Intel i7 5930k - Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe - RAM Kingston DDR4 32GB - GPU nVidia GeForce GTX980 3way SLI - Case NZXT H440 – Samsung XP941 m.2, Samsung 850 Pro, WD Black, WD Red - PSU Corsair Ax1200i

the thing is the 290 and the 770 are both $300 so couldnt i just get a 970 for $30 more which out of the gtx 770, gtx 970 or amd 290 have better bang for buck

thank you very much, i have updated the link, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tD9tqsand i was wondering if this is good?

It's a waste of money to have an unlocked processor with a non-Z mobo. Also, it might be a good idea to get a 120 GB SSD and a 1TB drive. Look around for options like that for your storage as it may be cheaper.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

If I was picking between those3 I'd probably go with the 970. I'd rule of the 770 because of the vRAM. And I'd give the nod to the 970 because I'll pay a 15% premium for a GPU maker that I feel does a better job optimizing most games from day 1 and whose drivers I have had a better experience with.

If I was only looking at price to performance AMD would win though.

280X/7970 or a 770. And just a heads up -- 770s are still pretty freaking expensive. Price to performance, the 7970 is a much better deal.

You know, I thought you were kidding about the expensive thing....AND THEN I SAW A 770 GO FOR 450 DOLLARS. WHY NOT JUST BUY A 970?! BETTER PERFORMANCE FOR 100 DOLLARS CHEAPER!!

http://www.amazon.com/GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5-GeForce-256-bit-PCI-Express-OC-selected/dp/B00D3F7CFK

ok so im set on the i5 a 480gb ssd cuz thats all i need and i dont want the trouble of two drives when the only information i use now is about 370gb and i want some leg room, i also setteled on the 970 and still managed to keep the pricepoint under $1350

You know, I thought you were kidding about the expensive thing....AND THEN I SAW A 770 GO FOR 450 DOLLARS. WHY NOT JUST BUY A 970?! BETTER PERFORMANCE FOR 100 DOLLARS CHEAPER!!

http://www.amazon.com/GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5-GeForce-256-bit-PCI-Express-OC-selected/dp/B00D3F7CFK

Better performance...?

We're talking 780 levels of better performance, here! :D :D :D :D

I think op started the post GPU curious but after your 770 talk became gpu confused. If he needs to pick a green one the 970 makes the most sense.

Better performance...?

We're talking 780 levels of better performance, here! :D :D :D :D

make sure you're going for a I5-4690k

For overclocking purposes ;)

Throw a 212 Evo on there, and you'll have some overclocking capability. And even if you don't want to overclock right now,

think about future Cactusneedle_ who might want to.

I would get a r9 280x over a gtx 960, but I would get a gtx 970 over an r9 280x.

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb