Amount of ram for low end build

Go to solution Solved by MrYuriy,

Just as pretty much 90% of the people around here are going to say, let me simplify your journey with an answer:

4GB would be ok / decent, but you should shoot for 8GB.

Plus, at this point it's not that much more expensive. Hell, there are deals that almost entice you to go with 8GB due to how little the difference in price may be. (>$10 at some points)

I have recently upgraded my pc, so I have a lot of spare parts lying around. I decided to make a cheap media pc with them, and I have everything i need save for the ram. I don't know how much Ram i need; it will probably be used to play games like bf3 and skyrim (very few mods)at medium settings.

Parts:

Gt 630

fx-4130

A cheap but functional mobo, case, and psu

Stock cooler

PS: i have run those games on these parts before, just with 8gbs of ram. Can i make do with 4gbs, or do i need 8?

PSS: I wont be buying any other parts other than the ram

In the beginning the universe was created.

This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

-Douglas Adams

At least 4GB, swing for 8GB if at all possible.

Go all out and whack 32GB in there! :D JK

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

minimum 6gb, optimal 8gb

4GB is enough. 

Check out Austin Evan's Boson 2.0 Build.

4gb at maximum least. 8gb is reccomend pls

You can pick up single sticks of 8gb for $50

Just as pretty much 90% of the people around here are going to say, let me simplify your journey with an answer:

Plus, at this point it's not that much more expensive. Hell, there are deals that almost entice you to go with 8GB due to how little the difference in price may be. (>$10 at some points)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

4gb is enough, enough but 8 is definitely  a good idea.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

4,6,8 get whatever is onsale and offers decent timings and speed

Thanks everyone, I guess I will just wait for a good deal to come along. 

In the beginning the universe was created.

This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

-Douglas Adams

4gb at maximum least. 8gb is reccomend pls

You can pick up single sticks of 8gb for $50

WHERE!!!!! 

cheapest single 8gb stick in canada is $70-ish

even with the Canadian dollar being low thats like $59 USD

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f310666cl9s8gbxl

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

I have 8GB but I'm pretty sure I never use more than 4GB. I play league of legends and use chrome but I almost never have more than 3-5 programs open at the same time.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

Plus, at this point it's not that much more expensive. Hell, there are deals that almost entice you to go with 8GB due to how little the difference in price may be. (>$10 at some point)

Whenever I look in the last year or two ram has doubled in price from what it was and 8gb is still exactly double what 4gb $26 vs $52 for the cheapest on part picker is ive never seen it with only 10 quid difference. Also with those other parts theyre pretty low end it would seem a bit daft sticking 8gb in there. 4 of my freinds still only have 4gb and they can run highly modded skyri and minecraft like crackpack etc. 8seems excessive given its double the price

Whenever I look in the last year or two ram has doubled in price from what it was and 8gb is still exactly double what 4gb $26 vs $52 for the cheapest on part picker is ive never seen it with only 10 quid difference. Also with those other parts theyre pretty low end it would seem a bit daft sticking 8gb in there. 4 of my freinds still only have 4gb and they can run highly modded skyri and minecraft like crackpack etc. 8seems excessive given its double the price

You can't just stick your own life scenario into any topic and expect it to make sense...

First of all, I wasn't talking quid.. So of course I have no idea what prices will be anywhere else in the world or if what I said even applies globally..

And what you said completely goes with what everyone else said.. We ALL said 4GB would be just fine... Nobody said 4GB isn't enough..

But there are other tasks people do on PC where RAM is more important, and as I've said I'll say again.. At any rate, and with those parts.. 4GB will be ok, but I would shoot for 8GB IF IT FITS into a particular budget.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

You can't just stick your own life scenario into any topic and expect it to make sense...

First of all, I wasn't talking quid.. So of course I have no idea what prices will be anywhere else in the world or if what I said even applies globally..

And what you said completely goes with what everyone else said.. We ALL said 4GB would be just fine... Nobody said 4GB isn't enough..

But there are other tasks people do on PC where RAM is more important, and as I've said I'll say again.. At any rate, and with those parts.. 4GB will be ok, but I would shoot for 8GB IF IT FITS into a particular budget.

I dont understand what you mean by 'my life scenario'? I have experienced ram doubling in price over the last couple of years because GLOBALLY that has been the situation in general. Ram modules are costing more as the manufacturers are using more of their production capabilities for nand flash for phones and SSD's, this isnt something i have only personally experienced. In some places the price of ram has tripled, its just that the average price globally has doubled.

Also Sorry, its a habit to use the word 'quid' when talking about money. But I wasnt talking about pounds sterling. I looked on pc part picker for the U.S and 4Gb ram modules went from $26 and 8Gb ram modules went from $52, hence why i said they cost double.

I dont understand why your picking out my answer at the end for criticism either.  I added additional info as to WHY 4Gb is enough unlike most answers, which just said '4Gb is fine'. 10 different people said 4Gb is enough, but you complain that i am AGREEING with the majority? I dont get it.

Is it because you feel like i slighted you some way when disagreeing with you on the price of ram? Apologies if so!