200$ textbook (ebook) created free NO PIRACY!

EDIT2: TAKING ONE REQUEST FOR A BOOK! THE GUIDLINES BELOW:

1) available on chegg.com 2) has a free preview

EDIT: Also I forgot to mention that this falls under Fair Use - as S.W.I.M is not profiting or hurting anybody. (possible​ loss of revenue does not apply)

There's this website you can buy books or ebooks of most books and textbooks. If you order a physical book you get a 7 day ebook trial while waiting for the mail.

Best of all, they give you "free 30 pages" to check the book out before you consider buying :P

The website code is so crappy that Somebody who isn't me has been just editing the javascript via google's devkit, downloading the pages (they're images), and making an ebook via Adobe Acrobat.

Saved thousands on textbooks.

Not stealing, not pirating, just changing a line of code is something already given to me :P

Also we can all agree textbooks are the biggest rip. A semester is 2.5 months, to hell if I spend 300$ on a bio book that is firewood after the semester.

Screenie attached :)

post-167428-0-11278700-1425261823_thumb.

Noice, might use in the future (for when high school and college rolls around)

nice!

probs still illegal doe

now what is this website?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

well that's pretty bad implementation by the company. But that's pretty useful and pretty much still illegal and can still considered piracy.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

can I select wich pages I want ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

can I select wich pages I want ?

yea. even if you buy the ebook they 1) don't let you download it, only view online 2) you have a print limit of 100 pages/book

as a person who wants to read on the train and such, DRM sucks.

I figured this out last year or so, I just scanned the JavaScript, found the function that initiatives a successful print, go to live edit, and jam it into any button, in my case the print popup that happens when you press CTRL+P

this.bridge.executeAction('Print.print', [1, 597, this.option]);.

is basically

this.bridge.executeAction('Print.print', [PRINTPAGESTART, PRINTPAGEEND, this.option]);

you can find any book on chegg.com that offers a "preview", live edit in dev, and then in the print menu "File-> Save page as", don't print as PDF or else the watermarks will remain.

the only "downside" is that the book is all images, so you can read but not copy+paste or ctrl+f text -- but if it's text vs 200$ (my bio book this semester was 400$ if i was not to "make it"), i'll take the text!

This is still illegal as you haven't paid for that content yet.

Just because they got it from exploiting bugs or something in their website doesn't mean that isn't what it is.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Awesome find man, it is illegal but you did exploit a huge flaw in their security.... If anything they should thank you with a few free textbooks haha

Off topic, but if you want cheap textbooks buy international editions off ebay. They're 100% legal and printed by the same publishers, but they don't put crap like hardcovers and acid free paper to jack up the price in countries where people won't pay $200 for a textbook. I have a few international edition physics textbooks and they're pretty decent quality. A little better than Dover paperbacks, for example.

Off topic, but if you want cheap textbooks buy international editions off ebay. They're 100% legal and printed by the same publishers, but they don't put crap like hardcovers and acid free paper to jack up the price in countries where people won't pay $200 for a textbook. I have a few international edition physics textbooks and they're pretty decent quality. A little better than Dover paperbacks, for example.

i go to school with a laptop and folder. i hate physical books; they're 1) heavy 2) old 3) squint

sometimes a professor doesn't even require us to use a book; it's just regulation to have a textbook assigned to each class. 

as for the security risk, it's not like i'm stealing credit cards. the website has been like that for the year i've been on it, and i'm sure longer. everything is neatly commented. that just shows they don't give a shit. at the end of the day i'm not stealing anything, since they don't loose any product. i'm actually saving them bandwidth ;)

Ohh I forgot to mention that the book "preview" thing where you can access a few pages without buying it is new. SOMEBODY WHO ISN'T ME used to have to buy a book, download it, and issue a refund. 

I wouldn't mind buying the ebooks if they let you use them in offline mode, but the DRM is just too much. I try not to keep my wifi on in class when I'm not sitting by a power cord. I don't always have wifi on the bus, and the browser client is just clunky.

Also this isn't something we need or want like a game. it's something we're forced to buy for 2 months, never use anything but 1 chapter, and throw out.

my fellow college/university students, i know you know the struggle 

Also I forgot to mention that this falls under Fair Use - as S.W.I.M is not profiting or hurting anybody. (possible loss of revenue does not apply)

91cd06c0b196666c7e4abdf16856f3d1.jpg

no way in the world A TEXTBOOK COMPANIES WEBSITE ALLOWS YOU TO EDIT IT SO YOU CAN GET THEIR BOOKS FOR FREE

YOU LITTLE LIAR

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

It's pretty chickenshit the way the book copyrights go. There is a great complex analysis book out there by Ahlfors who has been dead 20 years and his book is still fucking $230.

http://www.amazon.com/Complex-Analysis-Lars-Ahlfors/dp/0070006571

Then there is a book on Galois Theory by Emil Artin, dead 53 years now, that I wanted to transcribe in LaTeX to distribute for free. But no, it's still not in public domain.

American students get fucked over the worst, especially by McGraw-Hill. I have an E&M book that I got a British Edition of for about $60 new hardcover but if I would have bought the US edition by McGraw-Hill it would have been about $150. Years ago I had a CS book that was about $60 from MIT Press, but they didn't have the volume printing license so the one sold in school bookstores was McGraw-Hill's $115 edition that was the same fucking book of the same quality.

Needless to say I wouldn't fault any American university student who pirates textbooks off bookfi or the like. I wish that site existed when I was in school. Though I got Chinese, Indian, and Iranian printings of some of my books from friends who went home over the breaks.

CAN I SEE THIS MAGICAL WEBSITE?

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Seriously? url of the website in the thumbnail is gone...

lol+meme.gif

well... GAWSH DANGIT

Okay.png

en.bookfi.org

chegg.com, go to chrome developer console, and use my low-res picture as a guide.

tomorrow I will be doing one book request as long as it's 1) available on chegg.com 2) has a free preview

bookfi is just a cookie

EDIT2: TAKING ONE REQUEST FOR A BOOK! THE GUIDLINES BELOW:

Since you guys think my process is bullshit, and SWIM can't make textbooks from nothing -- I'll prove it to you guys.

Guidelines:

Last thread for more info:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/320115-200-textbook-ebook-created-free-no-piracy/

I've checked with a Legal Professor, this does fall under Fair Use as I am not profiting from any of this, not am I violating a websites security. Basically I'm "Print-Screening" every page, but fancier :P

Reply with a link to your book at chegg.com and I'll make one ^_^

Almost done, give me 5 minutes -- 1306 pages made my browser crash the first time haha

edit: downloading, chrome says 5 min

I'm going to put the pages together in Acrobat, but you'll have to use your own PDF editor to make bookmarks for each chapter.

Done, uploading ^_^ 450 MB need to find a website