How to take notes in college?

Dubesta11

I will be heading to a college later this year and don't know how I want to take notes. I don't know If I could keep up with typing (Kinda slow and can't type normally), and I want it to be clean and organised to study off of. Any ideas with limited desk space?

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

Get a tablet!

Something like a cheap iPad (4th gen or something) using an app that supports a stylus like the Adonit, which has palm rejection.

go with paper and copy it to PC, best way to learn also

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Lol notes, I never take notes. Online classes ftw

And still have above a 3.7 gpa (deans list ftw)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Get a tablet!

Something like a cheap iPad (4th gen or something) using an app that supports a stylus like the Adonit, which has palm rejection.

as much as I dislike apple besides there phones, the apps for Ipad for note taking blow away android. its a software thing

1 do not make notes and tell yourself you can learn everything though class

2 be sure that you do

3 read the book again a few days before the test

4 realize you know nothing

5 borrow notes from classmates

6 study all night while consuming incredible amount of coffee and redbull

7 take the test

Works all the time

Pen and paper? Write maybe? I'm 3 years in college and I've done nothing other than write my notes. I would type much faster but I'm used to writing so I keep at it. :)

Get a tablet!

Eh, I don't think I would want an iPad just to take notes, seems like a waste of money.

go with paper and copy it to PC, best way to learn also

Is their an easier way than that? Hours of notes would be a pain to convert to digital format.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

What works for me at university: Take notes with pen&paper and between lessons or at home you type everything nice and organized into your laptop/pc.

That way you can take notes pretty damn fast and you automatically take a look at it agian.

Because lets face it, no one can take notes on a pc as fast as with pen and paper. I am typing rather fast but formula editors and stuff are slow as fuck to use, and you can't just simply make a sketch in word.

1 do not make notes and tell yourself you can learn everything though class

2 be sure that you do

3 read the book again a few days before the test

4 realize you know nothing

5 borrow notes from classmates

6 study all night while consuming incredible amount of coffee and redbull

7 take the test

Works all the time

I really need to do good in college since I have had a lack of effort in High School. Whatever would be the best for both understanding and remembering things would be best for me.

The Grey Squirrel

What works for me at university: Take notes with pen&paper and between lessons or at home you type everything nice and organized into your laptop/pc.

That way you can take notes pretty damn fast and you automatically take a look at it agian.

What software do you use to transcribe your notes? 

The Grey Squirrel

Is their an easier way than that? Hours of notes would be a pain to convert to digital format.

I agree with Pen and Paper and then type it up. It might not be 'easy' but it's definitely the best way imo. I just use a notepad and pen, then copy out the things that i need into a digital copy. I do the same when revising, read revision books and then write everything out; through just reading i remembered none of it but writing it out i learnt it all. 

When just typing notes that's all you're really doing as you're just trying to keep up, you don't (or i don't) take any of it in... but it's what works best for you really.

Mainly LibreOffice Writer, LaTex and Paint.net (for sketches etc), whatever suits the subject the most.

I use Super Notes for iphone. It allows you to record lectures, label and categorize them, and automatically puts a date stamp on the recordings. It keeps recording even after your phone goes to sleep. But best part -

You can transfer recordings to your pc via wifi, OR upload them to your Dropbox to download later. I stopped taking notes almost 2 years ago thanks to this little gem, I still pay attention, and jot down major concepts and supporting details, buuuuuuuut its nowhere near the ink burning I used to do.

check it out here.

I use Super Notes for iphone. It allows you to record lectures, label and categorize them, and automatically puts a date stamp on the recordings. It keeps recording even after your phone goes to sleep. But best part -

You can transfer recordings to your pc via wifi, OR upload them to your Dropbox to download later. I stopped taking notes almost 2 years ago thanks to this little gem, I still pay attention, and jot down major concepts and supporting details, buuuuuuuut its nowhere near the ink burning I used to do.

check it out here.

I don't think professors would like to be recorded, and I need to actually take notes to remember content.

The Grey Squirrel

I really need to do good in college since I have had a lack of effort in High School. Whatever would be the best for both understanding and remembering things would be best for me.

for me the best thing for notes are paper/notebook and pen

Even though I am keen on technology and can type quickly, there is something about them that makes them ultimately better for me

I'd just write them down and put it on a device when you have time.

If not I don't recommend a tablet, typing on a tablet sucks and is slow, either get a detachable keyboard or a small laptop (11" MacBook Air would be perfect but it depends on your budget)

I'm going to have to decide between a light and good battery laptop or a powerful (cpu+gpu) for when I take breaks on the go and play games (light ones like CS:GO and Minecraft)

The Grey Squirrel

same way you did at school? 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

I'm going to have to decide between a light and good battery laptop or a powerful (cpu+gpu) for when I take breaks on the go and play games (light ones like CS:GO and Minecraft)

I said this in another thread to someone who wanted a laptop for college and it did not get received well but i'll say it agian:

If you carry that thing around daily you don't want a gaming laptop, you want a business laptop/ultrabook, ideally out of the thinkpad x/t or latitude 6xxx/7xxx series.

They are higher quality and way more robust.

@ Audio recording

Be careful with that, at some schools/colleges/universitys it is forbidden to record lectures

//Edit

Wow, i tagged the user Audio, really?

Record the video and/or audio of the lecture.

I have had a few teachers not allow that or laptops/tablets in classes pen and paper is normally the best way

I don't think professors would like to be recorded, and I need to actually take notes to remember content.

Just leave the phone on your desk, with the mics aimed at them. Most don't care. The rest won't even notice, especially since it keeps recording once your screen goes to sleep.

I'm in the medical field, so profs go through way too much to keep up with taking notes by hand. Once recorded though, I send it to my dropbox, download it to my pc when I get home, and make notes then - because I can rewind and play back as many times as I need, and pause whenever I need, to make sure I don't miss anything.

Plus, if a classmate missed lecture, I can email them a link to my dropbox, so they don't miss anything important.

Pretty much anything will work. If you're a fast typer (100 words per minute or more.) I reccomend you use something like an Ultrabook/Macbook/ Laptop with a long lasting battery.

Interested in Business and Technology

Well, that could work if all notes can be taken in plain text, which will probably not be the case depending on what classes he takes

Actually, then you REALLY want to record them. Especially if they are going from memory and their notes, and not the book. I've had to protest test answers on several occasions, where the correct answer did not agree with what the professor had lectured. You can't be held accountable for being given the wrong information. And the recording is your evidence.

I had to escalate it to the deans office, even after playing it back for the professor, but when you're right, you're right.